The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   April 22, 2010: New Benjamin (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22575)

Gravdigr 04-24-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 650885)
Sure, you can buy me a Fiat. One of these, please:

F.I.A.T. = Fix It Again Tony;)

Shawnee123 04-24-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudcon (Post 651145)
Ben Franklin wasn't a President, nor were Al Hamilton and Sam Chase.

I had to google Chase. No WONDER I never saw him on any currency. ;)

monster 04-24-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 651108)
They've tried one dollar coins before: Susan B Anthony and Sacajawea.

They never catch on, but I think it's more the issue of the coin than the wimmenz.

Or, not. ;)

In my experience, many Americans have absolutely no regard for coins -especially given that the highest regular denomination is 25c- and generally consider them only good for change jars and charitable donations. Having one and two dollar coins means they would need to rethink that. Brits tend more to have been brought up with the "pennies make pounds" idea drummed into them, plus pound coins were introduced long before the previously highest coin -50p- had ceased to have buying power.

Sorry about the appalling grammar, I'm off duty today.

Sundae 04-24-2010 01:06 PM

Apologies at not knowing the Presidents/ non-Presidents.

Bet you don't know who Stafford Cripps or Luther Blissett are without googling either? (aimed at Merkins but without malice) :p:

My question was simply about not having women on the notes. In fact my assumption that they were all Presidents was a favourable one because it gave a good reason.

Then again, if Thatcher appeared on a note I would turn myself inside out if I had to use it. She probably will in years to come. But I don't think in my lifetime, there are enough people that think like me.

Mons, I don't think it's just the pennies make pounds thing. Although I get that. When we were on the gold standard there were sovereigns. That was a lot of money. And certainly when Dads was growing up, a Crown was well worth getting hold of.

Seventy years on the equivalent (without being adjusted for inflation) a Crown = 60p and will therefore still buy you a packet of crisps and some sweets. Not much, true, but imagine what a kid could do with that coin 70 years ago? Or 65 I suppose, given that Dads had to be ambulatory at the time.

Oh - he's 70 this time next week. There've been many phone calls and discussions between old friends etc, so I'm very much up on the lifestyles and ideals of post-war England at present :)

monster 04-24-2010 03:48 PM

Also, you can't snort coke through a coin. Unless you're Barry Manilow. Is he still going?

spudcon 04-24-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 651269)
I had to google Chase. No WONDER I never saw him on any currency. ;)

Those bills are just chump change for us high rollers.:rolleyes:
Sundae, I didn't mean to be high handed with the Benjamin et al info, just trying to educate. No apologies needed. I do remember Sir Stafford Cripps, but have to admit I don't know what he did, and the other guy, I'm ignorant about. Going to Google now.

xoxoxoBruce 04-24-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 651285)
In my experience, many Americans have absolutely no regard for coins -especially given that the highest regular denomination is 25c-

We have 50 cent pieces too, but you hardly ever get one because most of them got married. ;)