The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Strange combinations (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18818)

Radar 11-28-2008 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 508862)
I like peanut butter and Frank's Red Hot. On a toasted onion bagel.

Or green peas and A1 steak sauce.

I love all three of those things...onion bagel...check...peanut butter...check...Frank's Red Hot...check. Put 'em together....WTF?!?

I like peas and corn mixed with my mashed potatoes, but never tried 'em with steak sauce...on purpose. I mean if I'm eating a steak, and the veggies roll into the sauce I'll still eat them.

Radar 11-28-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yznhymr (Post 508935)
1. Mashed tatters and Worcestershire sauce
2. Chocolate or whipped cream spread liberally and seductively on my wife's erogenous parts...yumm

Man that is a huge coincidence. I also love Chocolate or whipped cream spread liberally and seductively on your wife's erogenous parts!!
;)

zippyt 11-28-2008 12:42 AM

Well who Doesent radar !!

Radar 11-28-2008 12:47 AM

This is a strange one I came up with myself. Now my wife loves it too. I'm not sure how many of you eat Vietnamese food, but I'll describe it.

A bed of sticky broken white rice, put 2 over easy eggs yolk side down on top of the rice and cut up the eggs so the yolk gets all over the rice, pour fish sauce (Vietnamese put it on everything), and go to town.

The Vietnamese normally eat this dish without the eggs. It's called Com Tam Suon. I felt like it needed something and the combination of the fish sauce, rice, and egg was terrific with the pork chop.

zippyt 11-28-2008 12:58 AM

That dont sound to strange , Ill pass on the fish sauce but would try it

Beestie 11-28-2008 07:16 AM

Chili and chocolate are the two main ingredients of Cincinnati chili. Now that's good eats.

The head chef at the restaurant I waited tables at in high school told me to add a dash of salt to each bag of coffee I made so I guess that's been around for a while.

When I was a kid, my Mom would make me banana and mayonaise sammiches. Deeee-licious! I still make one every now and then.

Urbane Guerrilla 11-28-2008 02:39 PM

A little hot pepper in fudge or brownies -- just enough to notice. Goes well with dark-roast coffee.

It's Mexican. Try a similar approach with mole poblano.

Urbane Guerrilla 11-28-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 508182)
My mother-in-law eats peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. She says they're great.

Particularly sweet pickle.

Not so different from grilled cheese+peanut butter+sweet green relish. The relish moistens everything, so the peanut butter can't stick to the roof of your mouth, not that melted peanut butter does anyway. Cream style peanut butter is fine, but we rather preferred chunky for its crunch.

Urbane Guerrilla 11-28-2008 02:50 PM

Radar, get Vegemite either at some Brit boutique where they sell all things British for the expat crowd or a similarly themed Australian shop. Another place to look is health-food stores.

Nowhere will it be exactly cheap. A little jar of the stuff runs about five dollars, next size up ten or twelve per. But if you use it as you should it'll last.

Spread it thinly on toast, or you'll hate it. It has a strong, heavy, dark-brownish flavor and is very salty. I like to butter the toast first; YMMV.

Aliantha 11-28-2008 02:57 PM

As far as vegemite goes. Try vegemite, cheese and lettuce sandwiches. They're quite good.

Urbane Guerrilla 11-28-2008 03:03 PM

Cross posted from To Those Who Are Serving Or About To Serve:

Quote:

I don't know if Australians go for this much, but there are few leftovers better than a sandwich filled with a slice of turkey breast, a quarter inch slather of sage turkey stuffing, and a similar layer of jellied cranberry. Mm-mmm! Not a sammich I'd take to work, though, as the cranberry jelly will probably make the bread soggy by lunchtime.
Somehow it has to be the sage dressing: bread cubes, butter, turkey juice (eventually), chopped celery, ground sage, pepper, a little salt to taste. Other dressings are lots of fun as dressings but not so satisfactory in this kind of sandwich.

lumberjim 11-28-2008 03:07 PM

grape jelly and cream cheese omelet.

Clodfobble 11-28-2008 04:27 PM

Oh man, I'm of the opinion that cream cheese is the most underutilized ingredient out there. I've been on a huge cream cheese recipe kick.

Radar 11-28-2008 05:59 PM

You might like this then Clodfobble. During the years I was working for Bank of America (Satan), I was working in their credit card processing building in Pasadena. It was a 6 story building without any windows. It was like a giant cement block. I'm convinced that they were scared of snipers due to their own poor customer service. I actually heard collections people call someone's neighbors asking them to tell someone to pay their bill. I heard them telling people to go collect aluminum cans. I had a "customer service" person look at me with a straight face and say, "They (the customers) need us, we don't need them. They need to borrow money to buy cars, houses, etc." I had to remind them that there is more than one bank in America...

Anyway...back to food.

Since I was in I.T. and not part of either customer service, or collections, I was deemed impartial and I got to be a judge in the annual chili and salsa contests.

The very best of all the Salsa's was a bowl of fantastic salsa with a nice kick and it had cream cheese in the center. This is a wonderful combination.

Was that a long enough story to tell you about this combo? LOL! Sorry, sometimes I get carried away.

Sundae 11-29-2008 03:59 AM

My evil ex used to have cheese on sweet popcorn. He'd wait til the popcorn was shovelled in, then say with a cheeky smile, "could I have some cheese on that?" The servers were so weirded out that he was never charged extra - whereas if I wanted extra cheese on my jalapenos I certainly was!

One Valentine's day I sent him an arrow, which you could unscrew for a personalised message. He didn't know who it was from (which tells me a lot!) so thought it best not to mention it to me (which tells me more). It was only a couple of days later, stuck on a call at work, that he realised it screwed open. The message read, "We're not a perfect match..." on one side and, "... like sweet popcorn and cheese" on the other,