The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   30 May, 2011: Death by Cucumber (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25288)

sandypossum 06-02-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Hello, I'm Sundae, pleased to meet you (handshake/ cheek kiss/ curtsey - whatever you do).
Why hello, Sundae! I'm Sandy and hey, in our part of Oz we do full body hugs with a bit of a smooch and a bit of back rubbing (assuming you've washed all the cow poo off first).

We had Psychoville on telly early last year and we bought the DVD, but I see there is a second series now. Is that what you're watching? We haven't had it yet - maybe on pay TV, but we don't do that (struggling with 16 free to air channels as it is). I shall wait with anticipation. I'm afraid to go to the Psychoville thread in case it has spoilers on the second series though!

We already have all three series of LoG on DVD, together with the Xmas special, the Live Show and "League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse". All excellent. Oh, and the BBC Radio "On The Town With The League Of Gentlemen" double CD, which I believe preceded the TV series. There are a few characters which don't appear on TV, such as Mr Ingleby, the teensy weensy shopkeeper.

When I was still living in Europe I once made a pilgrimage to Hadfield (even took some fake blood for my nose, for the photos) and by god it was depressing. Later I stayed in another cute village in Yorkshire - can't remember the name - and it was sooooo Royston Vasey! There was a weird butcher on the main street, an op shop with strange old ladies, etc etc.

Oh hey, another fave character is Herr Lipp (I lived in Germany for 7 years.) Ah, yes, and finally... proof of our devotion to the series, my husband said the words "you're my wife now!" at our wedding ceremony!

footfootfoot 06-02-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandypossum (Post 737875)
proof of our devotion to the series, my husband said the words "you're my wife now!" at our wedding ceremony!

That's very funny, Sandy. Does he also call you "Dave" as a pet name? THAT would be devotion.

Sundae 06-02-2011 02:00 PM

Sandy, you beauty!
We have to stick together, even on the other side of the world!

No, don't go into our Psychoville thread just yet. Too spoilery.
I did love the last series, but in the end came away dissatisfied. They're not real sausages. LOTS of questions and loose ends being tied up this time round. It's rilly, rilly good. Oh - did I mention I was in it? Well, I wrote a whole post about it somewhere on here.... some searching shows it to be here precisely.

BTW the introduction of myself was meant mostly in humour. I am aware of you as a Dwellar. Just not as a fellow fan. Envy you muchly for Hadfield. I have yet to make the pilgrimage. But then I do live in the right country to see them live - I was there for both tours.
Have you ever seen Blood on Satan's Claw?
There's a special Tigon edition with a DVD commentary by Dyson, Shearsmith & Gatiss. It's a five DVD set, but I got my money's worth just watching the one.

xoxoxoBruce 06-02-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 737743)
I'm allergic to codiene.
It gives me headaches and makes me vomit.

I found this out when I was prescribed it for consistent headaches and nausea.

If you've a headache/vomiting, and they give you codeine after which you still have the headache/vomiting, how do you know if you're allergic to codeine, or it just didn't help? :confused:

Sundae 06-02-2011 07:16 PM

I went back to the Doctor because my symptoms were getting worse not better.
She checked my eyes with some sort of Doctor-torch and said immediately, "You have a codeine allergy"

I got something else ? on prescription, but I was basically told to stay away from codeine forever-after and it's on my notes as a trigger.
I have no idea what caused the series of headaches and nausea I was experiencing initially, they went away! All I know is what NOT to take to alleviate them...

xoxoxoBruce 06-04-2011 01:08 AM

Wow, maybe the codeine did cure what was causing them, but the allergy wouldn't reveal it until you stopped taking that?

Sundae 06-04-2011 02:26 PM

I don't know - I think the codeine was just supposed to be a pain-killer.
In which case it failed miserably.

I got the result I wanted in the end - no pain no puke.
But it got a WHOLE lot worse before it got better. A week of blinding pain.
As well as horrendous self-pity and hypochondria believing I had a tumour.

Still, fun to have a proper medical allergy at last. Not just the weird food one that gives me hives and I can't tell what it is.

Sandy - check your PMs.
I'm happy.
(The League of Gentlemen - I don't think everyone would be interested in reading).

ZenGum 06-04-2011 07:21 PM

Seems it isn't the cucumbers after all. Some kind of green salad veggie, most likely from Germany. Well, duh, GERM-any. :facepalm: :right:

The Spanish cucumbers had E-coli, but it was a different strain.

HungLikeJesus 06-04-2011 08:18 PM

The Spanish cucumbers had the good E-coli.

SPUCK 06-05-2011 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 738291)
Well, duh, GERM-any.

http://i11.tinypic.com/2pt4b3o.gif

Sundae 06-05-2011 05:55 AM

Went to Tesco with the 'rents this morning.
Cucumbers 40p (via two for the price of one0. Methinks sales might have dropped off a little recently....?

DanaC 06-05-2011 07:24 AM

Yey! Another LoG fan!

My village has a slight touch of the Royston Vaseys about it :p There's one view in particular, coming up the lane from Ma's house, where the road splits and a solid square chapel looms, that just begs for the theme music every time I walk past.

Herr Flick, definately one of my favorite characters. Like the vet he just has such a great sense of pathos. Also, his accent and speech patterns reminded me very strongly of a wonderfully eccentric German teacher from my time at the Goethe Institute in Manchester.

Papa Lazarou. Just so amazingly disturbing.

Oh, and talking about the vet: one of the vets at the surgery Pilau goes to really reminds me of him lol. Not in his work obviously *grins* he;s very competant. But he has a similar look and colouring, and similar mannerisms, tone of voice etc.

BigV 06-05-2011 03:04 PM

an organic farm in northern germany. Bean sprouts have been implicated.

Lola Bunny 06-05-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 737731)
Paracetamol is Tylenol #3 (that's the kind with Codiene. You need a prescription for it here).

Paracetamol is Tylenol. Codoliprane is Tylenol #3.

SPUCK 06-06-2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 738359)
Went to Tesco with the 'rents this morning.
Cucumbers 40p (via two for the price of one0. Methinks sales might have dropped off a little recently....?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 738453)
an organic farm in northern germany. Bean sprouts have been implicated.

Quick! Time to stock up Sundae!