The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mis-pronounciation and dating (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7679)

Trilby 02-02-2005 02:43 PM

Homo-ba-phone? Obe-ma-Fob? D'Oh! Sax-A-ma-Phone!

Troubleshooter 02-02-2005 03:15 PM

The biggest offenders in my experience are:

"Go down duh screet tuh get some scrimps."

lumberjim 02-02-2005 05:21 PM

my daughter says Cindabrella. i think it's cute as shit.

I talk just like people on tv. no discernable accent. so there.

Clodfobble 02-02-2005 07:33 PM

My husband says "acrost" instead of across, "melk" instead of milk, and "may-zure" instead of meh-zure. He does try to catch himself, though, to keep my teeth-grinding to a minimum.

Also, my stepdaughter calls it a "cell-o-phone," because clearly the word is supposed to rhyme with "telephone."

Jacquelita 02-02-2005 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
I would never, ever kick a cunning linguist out of bed. :D

I third that one sista! (There's a reason I let that UT guy keep hangin 'round!) :p

when my kids were small, instead of saying clams they said clamps (as in, "mom, are we havin' clamps tonight?) I thought that was cute!

SteveDallas 02-02-2005 10:13 PM

My grandmother used to refer to Vienna sausages as "vye-eeena." She also was very fond of "arsh" potatoes, which as near as I could tell were exactly the same as the just plain potatoes we ate at our house. It was years later that I finally figured out that the word was "Irish."

wolf 02-03-2005 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123
i am in the valley of the sun. phoenix, arimazona

Oh, Pahonex. Gotcha.

(I find that commercial very, very annoying. Not spongmonkey annoying, but annoying all the same.)

xoxoxoBruce 02-03-2005 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas
My grandmother used to refer to Vienna sausages as "vye-eeena." She also was very fond of "arsh" potatoes, which as near as I could tell were exactly the same as the just plain potatoes we ate at our house. It was years later that I finally figured out that the word was "Irish."

My Grandparents had some strange pronunciations also. Of course my Dad's parents were immigrants which explains much of it. My Mom's parents, growing up in rural New England during the late 1800s, had hit or miss formal schooling.
Also, during that time a kid might have one maybe two teachers for the first 8 grades and their pronunciation became the standard.

Quote:

Not spongmonkey annoying, but annoying all the same.
The very first time you saw the spongmonkeys,(not the commercial) were you puzzled and a little bewildered? Or did you hate it right from the gitgo?
I think I watched it 3 times before I got annoyed. :)

wolf 02-03-2005 10:45 AM

I hated it right away.

I already thought the viking kittens were stupid, and recognized the style.

lookout123 02-03-2005 10:50 AM

huh??? did i unknowingly rip that off from somewhere?

Happy Monkey 02-03-2005 12:05 PM

An ad for some delivery service had some guy pronouncing "Phoenix" as "Pahonex". Not a particularly good ad.

mrnoodle 02-03-2005 12:08 PM

The viking kittens doing 'Run to the Hills' is funny. you normally have such good taste, wolf. ;)

lookout123 02-03-2005 12:44 PM

i have never seen either of the commercials you're talking about.

Schrodinger's Cat 02-03-2005 12:55 PM

Boston accents have always driven me nuts! (Ducks quickly in case anyone here is from Boston)

Beestie 02-03-2005 01:28 PM

The Viking Kittens ROCK!