The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Draft (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=2650)

elSicomoro 01-09-2003 07:05 PM

Wow...wish I could have gotten to this sooner. But, just a few of my own thoughts:

--I thought what Rangel did was cool. As I see it, this "bill" is merely an attention grabber (it isn't meant to pass by any means). The issues raised by Rangel are worthy of attention, IMO...another perspective/issue in the mix that should be considered.

--I applaud folks like Tob and the other soldiers that are doing a job that I simply cannot do...protecting our freedoms by fighting the enemy. My friend Sal from MD was called back to active duty just after 9/11...had to give up his schooling for now. (He served 3 years in the Army, then stayed with the reserves...he's Airborne.) I completely respect that.

--If I were considered fit to serve (Ha! That will happen the minute pigs fly.), the draft were reinstated (though I'm past the age for Selective Service now), and Uncle Sam sent me a draft card in the mail, I'd be on the first flight to Toronto.

--Why do the Chinese and Koreans go with their last name first? That always confused me growing up. And although we refer to the Japanese using the "standard" method, apparently they use the Chinese method when referring to each other. (I watch too much Iron Chef.)

slang 01-09-2003 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sycamore
I'd be on the first flight to Toronto.
Well, that's honesty.

I actually wanted to join after 9-11. I talked very briefly with a recruiter.

Slang: I wanna be a Marine.
Marine recruiter: (looks at slang's pot belly, flabby upper body, and facial tick) How old are you?
Slang: Th-
Marine recruiter: TOO OLD! ......Sorry.

So, if and when the shit really hits the fan and they actually need me, I'll just say "TOO OLD!.......Sorry." :finger:

(Then Brutus will crack my skull and I'll wake up to some asshead banging on a metal garbage can)

Griff 01-10-2003 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sycamore
--I thought what Rangel did was cool. As I see it, this "bill" is merely an attention grabber (it isn't meant to pass by any means). The issues raised by Rangel are worthy of attention, IMO...another perspective/issue in the mix that should be considered.

It did cause us to discuss the situation, however, I find symbolic bill writing to be a generally offensive activity. Instead of leading a real opposition to the war against Eastasia or is that Eurasia this week, he floats a little empty gesture, soon to be forgotten. Then when the inevitable shitstorm develops, he'll point to that as his opposition, well bullshit. Rep Rangel do you oppose American adventurism overseas? Did you oppose the Clinton bombings? Stand up and be counted if you oppose this war, you were elected to lead freaking lead, buttwipe. Of course, I could be off base but its better than being on the front end of a double play. wtf? I'll just leave that there, it'll mean something eventually.