The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Moose cam (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4719)

Beletseri 01-07-2004 09:00 AM

Big rack

1 Attachment(s)
You can see the big rack on Primo in this shot.

dar512 01-07-2004 09:32 AM

Re: Big rack

Quote:

Originally posted by Beletseri
You can see the big rack on Primo in this shot.
Ignore the photo and this could be an NBN post. ;)

wolf 01-08-2004 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally managed to get a look at moosecam during daylight when the guys were actually active!

This is VERY COOL INDEED ...

xoxoxoBruce 01-10-2004 09:54 AM

Looks warmer than it is here.:haha:

Beletseri 01-10-2004 02:32 PM

Probably not but at least the snow is dry and easy to move.

xoxoxoBruce 01-11-2004 10:26 AM

You said they watch the house in anticipation as mealtime approaches. I was wondering if they move away from the feeding spot when she goes out with the food, or stand right there while it's delivered? Also, do they ever come closer to the house between or prior to feedings? Have they rung the doorbell yet?:D

Beletseri 01-11-2004 10:57 AM

Pook says that sometimes they stay put and it sort of frightens her. In fact sometimes when they see her come out they move towards her. It is hard since she is on snowshoes and can't move all that fast. Sometimes she takes the snocat out to deliver the food because it is loud and gets them to move back into the trees.

She's had them eat out of her hand (apple) but doesn't like to do that often or if both are there.

She's had them come up and stand in her open garage or put their noses on the glass of the back door. They are very interested in food and have gotten pretty damned tame.

ndetroit 01-11-2004 01:11 PM

That's a good plan, re: the snowcat, but I'll tell you what: If they got it into their heads that they were pissed off about something, that little snowcat wouldn't last long...

I'm originally from eastern canada, and moose are one of the bigger killers on the highways, believe it or not.. A lot is what you would expect - People running into the mooses... but also, for whatever reason, sometimes they run out of the ditch, and they can go pretty quick for very brief periods of time, and they'll charge a car (from the side), and pretty much just destroy it in one go...

I've seen pictures of everything from little hatchbacks to pick-ups just demolished by charging moose..

People attach "Moose whistles" to their cars, which is just a high-pitched whistle that activates as you travel a certain speed, and scares them away..

I remember when I was just little, and me and my brother and sister were in the back of the station wagon and my mom and dad were up front, and I guess a moose charged it, and my mom is yelling to my dad "A moose! A moose! Floor it!" and for a short time, he had the car at 45 or 50 mph, and the moose was keeping pace, right alongside my sister's window.. ;)

Anyways.. I'm sure these 2 are pretty domesticated, but... just wanted to make sure she has a healthy respect for what they can do..

Beletseri 01-11-2004 04:45 PM

I agree. That's why I asked her to put her emergency contact info on the website. I don't want to be sitting there some day watching the moose and observe her getting stomped into the snow without being able to call someone to go rescue her.

I think she is pretty careful and I know she stops feeding them before breeding season starts so they aren't hanging around with all that seasonal testosterone messing with their heads.

xoxoxoBruce 01-22-2004 07:16 PM

How do we know the moose didn't turn off the camera, post that message, and are watching Rocky and BullWinkle in the La-z-boy?:)