The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Car question (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23579)

tw 09-22-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 684155)
They recommended replacement due to the tread. I haven't checked it myself, but if 20000 is a reasonable replacement time for urban driving, I expect they're right.

20,000 miles was why almost all American tire companies were sold to foreigners. Radials in the early days did at least 40,000 miles. 10K and 20K were what were obsolete technology bias belt tires did before 1975. Yes, 10K and 20K is that much unacceptable.

How did the tire wear? Equally across the tread?

My first Honda Accord did 107,000 miles on the first set of tires. My second Accord only did 98,000.

All tires work just fine even at 20 PSI. But because Firestone was intentionally making tires that killed people, then hyped 'low pressure', well many are still brainwashed by that myth.

You maintain higher pressure so that tires last longer. But no radial tire must wear out in 20,000 miles. Again, because so many will ignore the question - How did the tire wear? Describe it.

Tire sensor: none are calibrated. You inflate the tire. Then tell the computer when the sensor's number is perfect pressure. The computer says low pressure when that number changes too much. But if not told what is normal pressure, then a computer may define normal pressure as low pressure. The whole thing is really unnecessary - a legacy of Firestone (now called Bridgestone) that was intentionally killing people. Then blaming a car owner for myths such as low tire pressure.

xoxoxoBruce 09-22-2010 09:21 PM

The car maker picks the oem tire for the attributes the want, and calculates the proper pressure from the cars weight so the tire will keep its tread flat on the road. Too high, or low, pressure will cause the tire to wear out the center or edges of the tread prematurely.

Also, it seems Civics for '06, '07, and part of '08, have a control arm problem, that causes vibration and tire wear.

dschuyler 09-22-2010 10:17 PM

Ive worked in used cars for a dealership for 10 years, buffing will make the glass "look" better but wont change the integrity. Glass pros can fill chips and stop cracks from spreading but no miracles when it come to wiper wear.Time for a new windshield

xoxoxoBruce 09-22-2010 11:49 PM

Welcome to the Cellar, dschuyler. :D
I think you're right, time to find an affordable new one.

HungLikeJesus 09-22-2010 11:56 PM

I got about 10,000 miles on the last set of tires on my motorcycle, but they were pretty worn out by the time I replaced them. In fact, they were so thin along the center that you could see the air inside.

xoxoxoBruce 09-23-2010 12:18 AM

Bikes are a whole other case, because you're using sections of the tread at different times, unlike cars that try to keep the tread flat as much as possible.
A squealing tire on a car, at 15 mph, indicates low tire pressure (likely) or faulty suspension weight distribution (far less likely), like lifting an unladen wheel.

glatt 09-23-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dschuyler (Post 684294)
Ive worked in used cars for a dealership for 10 years, buffing will make the glass "look" better but wont change the integrity. Glass pros can fill chips and stop cracks from spreading but no miracles when it come to wiper wear.Time for a new windshield

Thanks!

tw 09-23-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 682959)
Only complaint I have with it is that the windshield is a little hard to see through when the sun is low.

Those scratches can make windshield wipers operate less efficiently. So I would car wax the windshield. Those tiny scratches are filled with wax making the wipers operate without streaks recreated by those scratches.

But I have never had a windshield so damaged as to so seriously refract sunlight. The wax might fill those scratches - obstructing light that would otherwise be refracted by the imperfection. But there is no alternative to glass replacement if the glass is that scratched.

I worked for a guy once who killed a pedestrian. Low sun hitting his glass meant he did not see the pedestrian; ran him over with the truck. Too many scratches creating sun obstructed vision should not be ignored.

HungLikeJesus 09-23-2010 09:17 PM

That happens to me at least once a week.

footfootfoot 09-23-2010 09:20 PM

Let's not even count the number of hobos you kill per week

HungLikeJesus 09-23-2010 09:50 PM

I scratch little lines on the front fender.

tw 09-23-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 684572)
I scratch little lines on the front fender.

How many Census workers did you unemploy now that they have less people to go look for and count?

HungLikeJesus 09-23-2010 10:51 PM

If they're unemployed, does that make them hobos?

tw 09-24-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 684583)
If they're unemployed, does that make them hobos?

According to Limaugh, they were paid so much more by Obama that they no longer have to work. According to Limbaugh, that was stimulus money.

According to Limbaugh, it will be harder for you to become an Ace. I believe you will need ten hobos to become a double Ace.

Shawnee123 09-24-2010 12:00 PM

Hobo stimulus. :lol2:

tw, you are too funny!