The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Out and about with my Fanny. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32770)

sexobon 05-13-2017 03:25 PM

In that instance, the terminology is a close match. If your rainfly/flysheet has an attached projection that can be extended out to form a roof beyond the tent entrance, we'd call it an awning. If it additionally has walls, then a vestibule.

In military slang, a British basha is like an American poncho hooch. Both work as tarpaulins having grommets along the edges for suspension lines. US military ponchos are dual purpose having the edge grommets and a head hole with hood which can be tied closed in tarp mode. It also has snaps to create sleeves in poncho mode. The basha is a basic tarp.

Pamela 05-14-2017 11:26 PM

Limey, sorry but I just noticed this.

Your mirrors look to be properly adjusted. You should see a slight sliver of your trailer in the mirror when your rig is straight, to maximize your side view area. I used to use those mirrors before I put on my "elephant ears" mirrors. I find them to be more familiar than the wider clip ons, which vibrated and were hard to use.

If you add a flysheet (awning), I strongly suggest a set of secure tie downs to prevent an errant gust of wind causing a goodly amount of damage and embarrassment. Don't ask how I know. :)

Those jockey wheels do tend to come in with their fair share of damage. I have replaced mine several times, usually after encountering a bloody big speed hump. Next time, I buy the kind that folds up along the frame!

All in all, you are doing just fine. Enjoy!

Griff 05-15-2017 07:49 AM

We just say fly... <shrug>

limey 05-15-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamela (Post 988677)
Limey, sorry but I just noticed this.

Your mirrors look to be properly adjusted. You should see a slight sliver of your trailer in the mirror when your rig is straight, to maximize your side view area. I used to use those mirrors before I put on my "elephant ears" mirrors. I find them to be more familiar than the wider clip ons, which vibrated and were hard to use.

If you add a flysheet (awning), I strongly suggest a set of secure tie downs to prevent an errant gust of wind causing a goodly amount of damage and embarrassment. Don't ask how I know. :)

Those jockey wheels do tend to come in with their fair share of damage. I have replaced mine several times, usually after encountering a bloody big speed hump. Next time, I buy the kind that folds up along the frame!

All in all, you are doing just fine. Enjoy!

Thank you! I am gamely tackling the reversing challenge. Yesterday I successfully reversed my Fanny round a 240° angle into the caravan parking bays with an audience of truck drivers watching (well, at least one was) for our overnight stop on the way home from our most recent trip.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

glatt 05-15-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 988687)
We just say fly... <shrug>

Yeah. That works too. In my Boy Scout troop, we have the flys for the tents and a large dining fly for putting up over the picnic tables. So we say rainfly to differentiate between them.

But then there are tarps, and the dining fly could also be called a tarp. Except we don't.

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2017 09:57 AM

It's only important that you and the people you're talking to, know what you're talking about, if they're involved with the assembly.

Take care of the fly.
OK, I'll get the fly swatter.

sexobon 05-15-2017 05:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ooh, I'll bet your fanny would look good with an inflatable awning! Looks like there's a lot of different models. I liked this one. Maybe a good deal will pop up on eBay.

Attachment 60537
Attachment 60538

xoxoxoBruce 07-10-2017 11:59 AM

All you need is the right car...