The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Relationships (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How long have you been with your current "significant other"? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20037)

Pie 04-11-2009 12:22 PM

Met my husband in August of 1992 - he was 18, I was 17. Married him on February 7th, 1998. Still very happy.

Alluvial 04-11-2009 02:12 PM

1990 was the year I got divorced from my first husband. I was 30. Vive le revolucion!

Clodfobble 04-11-2009 03:50 PM

Coming up on our 6th anniversary, and 2+ years before that. We need to make sure to celebrate for real this year, we did absolutely nothing last year because we were broke.

dar512 04-11-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 555086)
did Mrs Dar take your last name, Dar? and Glatt?

Yes. I was comfortable with it either way. It was her choice.

kerosene 04-11-2009 05:16 PM

I hadn't taken my husband's last name until just about a month ago. I finally grew tired of spelling that long German maiden name.

richlevy 04-11-2009 05:35 PM

I'm really on the cusp here. Our 26th anniversary is this summer. Counting our engagement and dating, we're really close to 30. It depends on the definition of 'been with'.:D

richlevy 04-11-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 555358)
I hadn't taken my husband's last name until just about a month ago. I finally grew tired of spelling that long German maiden name.

I once went to school with a girl who had a really long German last name. She was class secretary and once misspelled her own name on the meeting minutes.

SteveDallas 04-11-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 555358)

A while back I heard Kevin Smith's podcast (of Clerks, Mallrats, Dogmas, etc. fame). His wife Jennifer was on it with him, and she mentioned she could never figure out whether it was better to keep her maiden name, Schwalbach, which nobody could spell... or change it, and be one of thousands of "Jennifer Smith"s.

jinx 04-11-2009 06:03 PM

My thirst grade teacher was Mrs. Schwartzentruber. She was a mean old bitch and made everyone learn how to spell her stupid name on the first day of school.

Jim had her for 3rd grade too, and she used to dump his messy desk out all over the floor. She was big into public humiliation.

Pie 04-11-2009 06:05 PM

I kept my name. It was more a case of "why should I change my name -- I'm still the same person I was yesterday!"

lumberjim 04-11-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 555370)
My thirst grade teacher was Mrs. Schwartzentruber. She was a mean old bitch and made everyone learn how to spell her stupid name on the first day of school.

Jim had her for 3rd grade too, and she used to dump his messy desk out all over the floor. She was big into public humiliation.

I met jinx's mom when I was 9. how fucking scary is that. she was the
'nice' school nurse at Pickering Valley.

worst part: she remembered me faking a belly ache to get out of math class.

kerosene 04-11-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy (Post 555363)
I once went to school with a girl who had a really long German last name. She was class secretary and once misspelled her own name on the meeting minutes.

I have done that...signing a company email!

kerosene 04-11-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 555364)
A while back I heard Kevin Smith's podcast (of Clerks, Mallrats, Dogmas, etc. fame). His wife Jennifer was on it with him, and she mentioned she could never figure out whether it was better to keep her maiden name, Schwalbach, which nobody could spell... or change it, and be one of thousands of "Jennifer Smith"s.

This was exactly my predicament. I now appear to be of Irish descent (instead of German) and there are likely 2 million of me in the state of Colorado. Before, I had not been able to locate another person with the same name as mine. Still, not having to remember military style spelling for phone companies and like for giving my name over the phone is worth it.

footfootfoot 04-11-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 555403)
Still, not having to remember military style spelling for phone companies and like for giving my name over the phone is worth it.

"OK, are you sitting down?"

I had a friend with a typical last name as a given name and a typical given name as a last name. It was always fun listening to him try to explain it to whomever was on the other end of the phone.

Crimson Ghost 04-11-2009 11:01 PM

I worked with a guy whos last name was Stanislaskuzava.

"How do you spell that?"

"It's spelled just like it sounds."