The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I bawt a Tesla (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=35249)

Griff 07-22-2020 06:28 AM

Good question. I have a touch screen in my Subaru which is my only complaint about the vehicle. My generation will be dead pretty soon though...

Undertoad 07-22-2020 07:17 AM

The screen is huge and most things you might need to do are two "clicks" away -- but I prefer the voice interface to get things done.

It's like -- there is an "auto" setting for the wipers, so the car will try to detect rain on the windshield and clear it. If you want the wipers to go faster, you can go to the wipers in that interface and switch "auto" to "3". But it's easier to press the voice button and say "set wipers to 3".

When the car is in Autopilot, which I am learning when to trust - it's no big deal at all to take your eyes of the screen for long enough to hunt the interface a little. at this time I trust Autopilot when there are clear lane markings and nothing "hard" for the car to do - like deal with hard rain, or twilight conditions (when the sun is in your eyes, it's in the cameras' eyes too).

Griff 07-22-2020 07:26 AM

Hmmm... maybe now that I can hear I should get comfortable with voice interfaces. The key word is should though.

fargon 07-22-2020 09:26 AM

May Hope give many years of faithful service.

Undertoad 07-22-2020 02:27 PM

Yes and you have a key that's like a credit card, you can hold up to one edge of the door to lock or unlock it. But mostly you use your phone. Once your phone is set up as a key, you just walk up to the car and get in; the car unlocks for you.

And with that system, there's no "key in the ignition" step. You just press the brake pedal, and the car adjusts the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel to your settings, and turns on climate (and lights, and wipers, etc). Then you just put it in Drive and go.

This takes a little getting used to, especially because the car is silent. The engine doesn't switch on and rev and etc. You hit the accelerator and you're off. Silently.

And when you get to where you wanted to go, you just put it in Park and get out. You walk about 10 feet away from the car, and it recognizes you've walked away and nobody else is in the car. So it locks itself and shuts down the climate and stuff.

lumberjim 07-22-2020 05:03 PM

Fucking future magic from Sci fi books I read as a kid.

monster 07-22-2020 07:08 PM

I am, of course, remembering The Cellar Car at this point. Get off my lawn.

Diaphone Jim 07-22-2020 07:16 PM

"And when you get to where you wanted to go, you just put it in Park and get out."
Assuming, of course, that Hope agreed with your choice of destinations.

Undertoad 07-22-2020 07:53 PM

I didn't buy the Full Self Driving option. It was another $7,000 to get that. I can still add it at any time, but the price went up: it's now $8,000. The theory is that, as it develops, it will be more and more useful over time, and they will continue to increase the price.

If they ever reach complete full autonomy driving, the value is supposed to skyrocket, because at that point the cars can become robo-taxis and just generate money. Some people think it will be worth $100,000.

Undertoad 07-22-2020 08:04 PM

Went to the Dentist this morning. I was late getting there for my 9am appointment, drove much more reasonably on the way back.

Third-party website TeslaFi fetches the data from your car and compiles reports about your trips, your charges, etc. geekery dream

http://cellar.org/img/dentist.jpg

those max speeds were only momentary i swear

monster 07-22-2020 08:31 PM

That's a hell of a long way to go to the dentist... Have you considered going to B... oh, wait....

Griff 07-22-2020 08:43 PM

Ohh shiiit.🤣

Undertoad 07-22-2020 09:17 PM

:thumb2:

10/10 well played

Clodfobble 07-22-2020 09:26 PM

Ha! Took me a second, but... HA!

lumberjim 07-22-2020 11:37 PM

It's taking me more than a second....