The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Proud Parent Brag Time (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13589)

xoxoxoBruce 12-13-2013 08:15 PM

Oh OK, thanks.
Quote:

The idea that her classmates would be interested in the material was a major selling point.
Ah, a go-getter like her old man... cool. :thumb:

Griff 12-13-2013 08:22 PM

As if...

xoxoxoBruce 12-13-2013 08:36 PM

You wanted a wife, you go and get a beauty.
You wanted a house, you go and get skills,
............................ then go and get trees.
You wanted education, you go and get schooled.
You wanted to teach, you go and get certified.
You wanted to fence, you go and get Ben-Gay.

Yeah, a go-getter. :notworthy

Griff 12-13-2013 08:43 PM

Hey, my coach is closeted, he doesn't like that nickname.

Griff 12-13-2013 09:22 PM

math do-over, 2k more than a SUNY. Still good. :)

Lamplighter 12-13-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

math do-over, 2k more than a SUNY. Still good.
Sorry to laugh, but can we assume one of the classes she wants to take is Math ?

Griff 12-14-2013 07:25 AM

She's taking AP Calc this semester, her Dads deficiencies don't seem to apply...

Lamplighter 12-14-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

She's taking AP Calc this semester,...
Good on her.

I only got thru Calc and Phys Chem, myself, by choosing my dates from among such girls. ;)

Griff 12-14-2013 09:49 AM

I found one of those girls myself. :)

chrisinhouston 12-16-2013 03:02 PM

So my 13 year old grandson has been wanting me to teach him to shoot a shot gun. I used to do a lot of shooting, either at clay pigeons or geese or ducks or whatever upland birds we get here in Texas. But I haven't shot any of my shotguns in 2 years or so and even then it was only a once a year goose hunt.

I took him to the local gun range and brought along 2 12 gauge semi automatics and a 20 gauge in case he didn't like the kick of the 12. Before we left the house I drew out the skeet range diagram and explained how it worked and went over safety instructions and gun etiquette.

We got to the range and paid for a round of skeet each, $10 a piece. He's a skinny kid so I was worried he might not like the kick of the gun. We mixed in with a couple of other folks to form a group of 6. I went second and he was 3rd, I hit my 2 singles and got my doubles on station 1 which made me feel pretty good. I stood by him when it was his turn and gave him some pointers and reminders. He shoots and breaks all 4 targets. Wow! We moved on and I my accuracy deminished with a fair number of misses. He continued to hit most of the targets!

When we were done I only broke 10 out of 25, not bad for someone who hasn't shot in awhile I thought. He got 20 out of 25! That is like phenomenal! Especially for a kid who never shot before. We talked about it on the way home and I suggested that since he is really good at football he has an understanding of connecting with a target that is moving down the field. He told me he wants to go a lot more! I suggested he ask his parents for a good shotgun that actually fits closer to his size. I also told my wife I need a new shotgun since mine must have a bent barrel!

glatt 12-16-2013 03:27 PM

It's all the video games.

Good for him!

Griff 12-16-2013 04:13 PM

Awesome! A friends kid here was really good with a shotgun... now he's at West Point.

xoxoxoBruce 12-16-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisinhouston (Post 886249)
I also told my wife I need a new shotgun since mine must have a bent barrel!

I know, I know, don't you hate when that happens. :lol2:

orthodoc 12-16-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 886030)
She's taking AP Calc this semester, her Dads deficiencies don't seem to apply...

What does she want to take in college? Is she interested in maths and sciences?

Griff 12-16-2013 05:46 PM

Not really. She's much more in tune with liberal arts stuff. Teaching (Engrish or SS), psychology, archeology/anthropology and drumming in a punk band are the career paths she's spoken of lately. She's reading Greg Graffin's book right now so maybe science will climb but that seems unlikely. She didn't take AP Bio or AP Chem sticking with the Regents classes in those areas.