The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Speaking of Cheeses (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7244)

ladysycamore 11-19-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
anyone on dialysis gets my vote!

We should talk, you and I.

I am ready to throw it in (ALL of it)---what keeps you going, ladysycamore?

PM me and we'll talk.
:thumbsup: :D

Griff 11-19-2004 05:02 PM

Current controversy: Look I picked up the goat feta when I know everyone in Grifftopia is on board with the cows milk feta... is that so wrong? I'm just priming folks for full implementation of the griff is a hillbilly project which must include the dairy goats. mmm cheese under pressure.

busterb 11-19-2004 07:25 PM

"And I save my rinds, too - I toss them in when I'm making minestrone or pasta fagiole and let the cheese melt into the soup. Adds tons of flavor and richness, and uses up the last of that $17.99/lb cheese."
If the shoe fits! There seems to be a some over paid folks in this thread.
$17.99 per lb? You should be shot for helping support that Co.
Don't misunderstand me, I like cheese, have eaten it in over most of the world.
But today I was hoping that old red rind cheese had dropped back to $2.69 a lb. From 3.99

melidasaur 11-20-2004 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaguar
Neal's Yard? Heck no, that's a tourist mecca just off covent garden, they make some nice stuff but it's no formagerie. Place I'm talking about is a touch south-west of Piccadilly.

Jaguar - there is a really nice cheese shop off Marlybone High Street... wish I remembered the name, but it's right off the high street, not even up half a block... quite a nice place. I could spend HOURS in there.

I am fascinated by cheese - so many neat things you can do with it, but honestly, I can't stand the stuff... it's gross. I did have some really good cheese this summer - it's a french cow's milk cheese that has a rind coated in ash... very nice. The name escapes me, but i'd know it if I saw it.

The only cheese I truly like is mozzerella... fresh or low-moisture, skim milk variety. The saltier the better.

Wolf, I agree with you on the string cheese with the Simpsons characters... it's the only brand I buy right now because they are amusing.

antaeus 11-22-2004 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb
If the shoe fits! There seems to be a some over paid folks in this thread.
$17.99 per lb? You should be shot for helping support that Co.

Thanks for the baseless assumption and incitment to commit violence against me. People make choices as to how they spend their money - I choose to buy a half a pound of good parmegiano (which lasts me quite a while) rather than spend the same amount on a burger and drinks one night. Or a new DVD. If you were to go out for a meal or buy a DVD instead, does that make you overpaid? As for your second statement - as someone whose family members have been victims of violence, all I can say is that I would never wish that on anyone.

jinx 11-22-2004 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
Current controversy: Look I picked up the goat feta when I know everyone in Grifftopia is on board with the cows milk feta... is that so wrong? I'm just priming folks for full implementation of the griff is a hillbilly project which must include the dairy goats. mmm cheese under pressure.

Nope Griff, you did the right thing. I would definitely have a few dairy goats... if they knew how to milk themselves anyway....

jinx 11-22-2004 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melidasaur
I am fascinated by cheese - so many neat things you can do with it, but honestly, I can't stand the stuff... it's gross. I did have some really good cheese this summer - it's a french cow's milk cheese that has a rind coated in ash... very nice. The name escapes me, but i'd know it if I saw it.

Didja ever try Humboldt Fog? It's a goat cheese with an ash layer and outer covering.... really, really good.

jaguar 11-22-2004 10:06 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the baseless assumption and incitment to commit violence against me. People make choices as to how they spend their money - I choose to buy a half a pound of good parmegiano (which lasts me quite a while) rather than spend the same amount on a burger and drinks one night. Or a new DVD. If you were to go out for a meal or buy a DVD instead, does that make you overpaid? As for your second statement - as someone whose family members have been victims of violence, all I can say is that I would never wish that on anyone.
Chill, this is the internet, he's not waving a gun in your face.

wolf 11-22-2004 10:22 AM

I had a Brit enter a total meltdown phase on another board where I pretended to threaten to shoot someone ... used winking smileys and everything.

melidasaur 11-22-2004 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
Didja ever try Humboldt Fog? It's a goat cheese with an ash layer and outer covering.... really, really good.

Thanks for the suggestion... I've never really ventured into the goat cheeses, but if i see that one, I'll check it out.

warch 11-22-2004 11:24 AM

Humbolt fog is yummy! and beautiful.

Goats milk makes some very tasty fresh and aged cheese. I think fresh chevre might not be too hard to make...Goat+grass+bucket+cheesecloth+ time...

On the $ topic, its always interesting how much people will drop on all sorts of things. I have never purchased a new car. I am not rich, and I am a thrifty shopper. I think good, satisfying, interesting, healthy daily food is a wise investment for our little family. I will pay $17 per pound for something wonderful to eat together, spend a higher % of our income on food. It just happens to be pretty central to our quality of life. We also try to spend a higher % of time on meals. Preparing them and sharing them.
Thanksgiving is this time when family food ritual is high. Savored. I like that ritual, in some form, every day I can get it. Its the very best of ordinary life well spent.

Griff 11-22-2004 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warch
On the $ topic, its always interesting how much people will drop on all sorts of things. I have never purchased a new car. I am not rich, and I am a thrifty shopper. I think good, satisfying, interesting, healthy daily food is a wise investment for our little family. I will pay $17 per pound for something wonderful to eat together, spend a higher % of our income on food. It just happens to be pretty central to our quality of life. We also try to spend a higher % of time on meals. Preparing them and sharing them.

Testify Sister!

jaguar 11-22-2004 04:59 PM

Quote:

Thanksgiving is this time when family food ritual is high. Savored. I like that ritual, in some form, every day I can get it. Its the very best of ordinary life well spent.
*golf clap*, well said old chap.

warch 11-22-2004 05:05 PM

Griffter , I hope even after you get your gullet stretched you'll still eat slowly. I know you'll definitely enjoy it more. All the best fella! Take care.

ladysycamore 11-25-2004 12:25 PM

Just had some Cabot Tomato, Basil Cheddar Cheese....mmmm mmm good!

:thumbsup: :D