The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Board Games (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24907)

monster 04-14-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 722983)
Oh wow, this is awesome! Thanks monster, for years I wondered what the game was but just now was prompted to look for it online.

Which game?

Clue = Cluedo for those completely unbilingual, btw. Hebe loves this game once we taught her how to play. I used to be totally crap at it, right into adulthood, then beest pointed out he couldn't understand why -it was just a huge logic problem of the type I love to do for fun and that was a lightbulb moment! I have no idea why that never occurred to me as a kid. I just thought everyone had some superintuition I was missing. I now suspect my dad deliberately kept me in the dark about that so there was one game he could still win.... :lol:

monster 04-14-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 722989)
Game pieces?

Beer mug
Monkey
Troll
Some Amish Guy

?????? more?

Typewriter

infinite monkey 04-14-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 722990)
Which game?

Clue = Cluedo for those completely unbilingual, btw. Hebe loves this game once we taught her how to play. I used to be totally crap at it, right into adulthood, then beest pointed out he couldn't understand why -it was just a huge logic problem of the type I love to do for fun and that was a lightbulb moment! I have no idea why that never occurred to me as a kid. I just thought everyone had some superintuition I was missing. I now suspect my dad deliberately kept me in the dark about that so there was one game he could still win.... :lol:

Manhunt? The one in my post? :p:

Never played Clue much.

monster 04-14-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 722988)
Brilliant idea!

I know some yellows but the kinder gentler poster won't say.

yeah, that was kind of where I chickened out too. maybe i should be in the yellow section? I'll need a new username to feature twice though. oh wait, anonymous, of course!

Cloud 04-14-2011 11:35 AM

The Simple Dollar is one of my favorite blogs, and it's a personal finance blog. The blogger is also a gamer, and I find his reviews of board games interesting and valuable, even if you do not. He also advocates playing board games as a family, or as a low-cost party activity with friends.

Monopoly is boring and long and it still sucks. Just because it's a classic, doesn't mean that it's the best or most fun for a lot of people.

monster 04-14-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 722993)
Manhunt? The one in my post? :p:

Never played Clue much.

OK so why are you thanking me? I never linked to manhunt.. :confused:

infinite monkey 04-14-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 722991)
Typewriter

Dick broom

Liberty bell

infinite monkey 04-14-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 722996)
OK so why are you thanking me? I never linked to manhunt.. :confused:

Heeeheee...for bringing up the thread so my mind could free-associate all the way back nigh on 40 years ago. :lol:

I'd thought about it from time to time but never when I was in a situation to look for it. Serendipity. My memories are searing, branded iron hot.

monster 04-14-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 722995)
The Simple Dollar is one of my favorite blogs, and it's a personal finance blog. The blogger is also a gamer, and I find his reviews of board games interesting and valuable, even if you do not. He also advocates playing board games as a family, or as a low-cost party activity with friends.

Monopoly is boring and long and it still sucks. Just because it's a classic, doesn't mean that it's the best or most fun for a lot of people.

*snort*

Those who can, do, those who can't teach/preach/blog..... :lol:

I'm amused that it's OK for you to come here and criticise a game (if "sucky" actually qualifies as a criticism) then link to a blog that also criticises the game, but it's not OK for me to criticise that blog/blogger.

monster 04-14-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 722998)
Heeeheee...for bringing up the thread so my mind could free-associate all the way back nigh on 40 years ago. :lol:

I'd thought about it from time to time but never when I was in a situation to look for it. Serendipity. My memories are searing, branded iron hot.

I'm still trying to track down a couple of games from my youth -One I think was called "Shipping", and another railroad/empire building one that we used to play in humanities.

monster 04-14-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 722997)
Dick broom

Liberty bell

Leather paddle

wolf 04-14-2011 11:43 AM

For Cellaropoly, instead of an Amish guy, shouldn't that be a hobo?

I LOVED Which Witch. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Had a Clue board, but never played it much ... it sucks as a two-player game and much of the board game playing involved me and siswolf.

monster 04-14-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 723004)
For Cellaropoly, instead of an Amish guy, shouldn't that be a hobo? .

yup. and hobo killin' needs to feature highly in the chance/community cards.

Maybe hobo eviction costs instead of housing repairs.

Chance card "Hobo moves onto your sofa, pay $100 every day until evicted"

infinite monkey 04-14-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 723000)
*snort*

Those who can, do, those who can't teach/preach/blog..... :lol:

I'm amused that it's OK for you to come here and criticise a game (if "sucky" actually qualifies as a criticism) then link to a blog that also criticises the game, but it's not OK for me to criticise that blog/blogger.

If you can't say something nice...:p:

infinite monkey 04-14-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 723011)
yup. and hobo killin' needs to feature highly in the chance/community cards.

Maybe hobo eviction costs instead of housing repairs.

Chance card "Hobo moves onto your sofa, pay $100 every day until evicted"

Yeah, well, I never won much at monopoly anyway. :lol: