The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ending God's Tax Exempt Status (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15131)

Cloud 08-20-2007 12:53 AM

harsh, Jim!

rkzenrage 08-20-2007 12:53 AM

You calling me a malcontent, condescending and a prick. PRICELESS!
I am so happy right now!

Bruce, thank you for making my point so vividly!

elSicomoro 08-20-2007 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 376516)
Off Topic.
Also, I am not talking about government spending I am talking about more government money.
Hate?
No emotion here... at least not from me.

It's tw's brother!

Cloud 08-20-2007 12:56 AM

so, you've got churches, clubs, fraternal organizations, community organizations, scholarship funds, welcome wagons, international organizations and --surprise--charities! As I said, too narrow a definition.

lumberjim 08-20-2007 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 376531)
harsh, Jim!

fuck him. he just made my ignore list. coffin dodger.

rkzenrage 08-20-2007 12:59 AM

Woohoo!!!!

The welcome wagon nor a frat should be exempt if they pull in enough to pay taxes.
Scholarship funds, they provide far more service than they will ever need admin to break that threshold... no problem.
I don't see the issue.

elSicomoro 08-20-2007 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 376535)
fuck him. he just made my ignore list. coffin dodger.

Dude...mellow man. Go make another captain and coke.

Among the non-profits in my Zip...La Leche League...hooray for boobies!

Cloud 08-20-2007 01:00 AM

(ducks to avoid flying bodily fluids)

xoxoxoBruce 08-20-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 376534)
As I said, too narrow a definition.

Exactly, their message is immaterial.

Cloud 08-20-2007 01:08 AM

the messages may be immaterial, but the purposes are not--at least according to the tax code.

xoxoxoBruce 08-20-2007 01:17 AM

Their purpose is their message.

Ibby 08-20-2007 01:24 AM

I personally see no reason whatsoever that a church should not have to pay taxes. I see no reason why they should pay more in taxes than any other organization that draws in the same amount of money... but I see no reason why they shouldn't have to pay.

rkzenrage 08-20-2007 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 376542)
Their purpose is their message.

Which is why they buy all the land and invest so much?
Yeah... sell me another one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...perity0909.jpg

rkzenrage 08-20-2007 01:26 AM

At one time, recently, the Mormon Church was (if ranked) the third largest business in the US.

DanaC 08-20-2007 05:58 AM

I think it depends a lot on which branch of the Church you're dealing with.

If you are talking about the Evangelical strands of Christianity, much of their development included concepts similar to the Methodist faiths: that to work hard is Godly, that to acquire a better standing in the community and business world was a sign that you had worked hard and were therefore Godly. Now, that may well not be what's going on in the Evangelical sects now...but from such a base it's easy to see how gaining wealth and 'doing well' was not and is not seen as contradicting their faith.

In the Catholic confession, however, whilst it was always acceptable that The Church gain status and wealth, in individual terms they had more apostolic assumptions of their clergy.

rk, I am as hostile to religion as the next dwellar (especially if the next dwellar is you :P) but we need to be careful not to make assumptions of the whole, when it's a much more fragmented picture than that.

Across the world, your own country included, much of the charity and outreach work that helps some of the world's most vulnerable people, is conducted by well meaning Christians, with their Church as the organisation funding, managing and providing that exercise. Those are genuine charities. There are no doubt churches which are run like businesses and preachers who have made themselves wealthy. They are not charities. But by the same token, there are secular charities which are scams and yet get tax breaks.

I do think churches should have to prove their charitable status like any other organisation. (though you wouldn't be able to impose that on the Catholic Church without causing a massive worldwide argument).