The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Okay, this is the most recent Recipe Thread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9265)

glatt 05-10-2011 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The only thing I ever bought from TV was a Super Slicer. It was worse than you would expect from a TV impulse purchase. To say this thing was utter crap would be unfair to utter crap.

footfootfoot 05-10-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 732659)
Wiki uses the spelling mandoline (with an 'e') for the kitchen implement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 732734)
I've always heard the kitchen tool called a "mandoline slicer." With or without an e, I'm not actually sure.

In an old house in Frisco
On 23rd and Vine
Lived 12 little cooks
Hitting the cooking wine
The sharpest one was Mandoline

Urbane Guerrilla 05-10-2011 10:00 PM

Mandolines are called that because you're sort of strumming up and down the thing. And yes, razor sharp blades are a must or it flat refuses to work. That means don't use the cheapest stainless alloy you can get your suppliers to supply, but instead the pricier alloy that will actually perform. There is such a thing as high carbon stainless steel. It's often called surgical stainless, but within that category are alloys that are better for edgeholding than some others.

DanaC 05-11-2011 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 732861)
Mandolines are called that because you're sort of strumming up and down the thing. And yes, razor sharp blades are a must or it flat refuses to work. That means don't use the cheapest stainless alloy you can get your suppliers to supply, but instead the pricier alloy that will actually perform. There is such a thing as high carbon stainless steel. It's often called surgical stainless, but within that category are alloys that are better for edgeholding than some others.

Ahhh. Ok that makes sense.

Trilby 05-11-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 732770)
In an old house in Frisco
On 23rd and Vine
Lived 12 little cooks
Hitting the cooking wine
The sharpest one was Mandoline

Foot is the man of a thousand limericks.

wolf 05-11-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 732754)
The only thing I ever bought from TV was a Super Slicer. It was worse than you would expect from a TV impulse purchase. To say this thing was utter crap would be unfair to utter crap.

Like that, only a LOT sharper.

(btw, I had no idea they were spelled differently. I've only ever heard the name spoken ... although it's probably in the instruction manual somewhere, I didn't read it.

Tulip 05-12-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 732754)

Glad I fought my impulse to buy it. :p:

Pico and ME 05-12-2011 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the slicer that I feared the most. I have scars on nearly every knuckle on my right hand from slicing tomatoes back in my high school Burger King days.

casimendocina 06-13-2011 08:14 AM

Is it possible to salvage jelly that hasn't set?

Story is that I made up some jelly yesterday...here everything has to go in the fridge immediately otherwise there is ant suicide on a large scale so I put icecubes in the jelly to cool it down so it could go in the fridge quickly and it hasn't set....recommendations for alternative uses or straight down the sink?

glatt 06-13-2011 08:41 AM

vanilla ice cream topping!

BigV 06-13-2011 11:14 PM

Waffle/flapjack topping.

Daquiri base.

casimendocina 06-15-2011 06:03 AM

Thanks for the ideas. Gonna try making it into icecubes and mixing it with OJ etc...

wolf 06-15-2011 07:58 PM

Add the sloshy jelly to Vanilla or Plain Yogurt.

monster 06-15-2011 10:20 PM

or smear your body with it and have someone.....

casimendocina 06-16-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 740256)
or smear your body with it and have someone.....

Anyone? BTW, there were demonstrations about Bashir's sentencing somehwere nearby today if that appeals.This will be followed by more advisories from the embassy advising all citizen to seriously reconsider their plans to travel here. :D