The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What did you make today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22987)

xoxoxoBruce 12-13-2013 08:23 PM

Yes, but heard about it several times as he told others. :(

Clodfobble 12-18-2013 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What does this look like to you? Did I overdo it? I'm starting to think maybe it looked better when it was solid pink...

glatt 12-18-2013 11:50 AM

Is it supposed to resemble a snake? Because snakes can be that intricate.

I think it looks cool.

footfootfoot 12-18-2013 12:13 PM

Some sort of stylized bowel/aboriginal creation-myth vehicle.

BigV 12-18-2013 12:53 PM

a festive transverse colon?

Clodfobble 12-18-2013 01:02 PM

Yeah, it's supposed to look like a digestive tract. Minifob envisioned this thing that he wants for Christmas: a marble track that is also a model of the digestive system, so you can see how food travels all the way through you. Of course no such thing exists, and we told him he should be a toy designer when he grows up. But I found a winding wooden track, and thought I'd give a shot at painting it.

But I think maybe it looks too busy? I can paint over it if I want to, just red on the outside and pink down the middle...

BigV 12-18-2013 01:21 PM

I don't think too busy is bad. you're clearly not going for anatomically/photographically correct, why not make it merely representational? It doesn't look "wrong" The details do have meaning, and you can see them in what you've painted. I'd say keep it.

glatt 12-18-2013 01:31 PM

Was he envisioning the inside or the outside of the GI tract? Yours looks like the outside, but the inside would make more sense if the food were traveling through it. It's probably a lot more difficult to get that texture right though.

A cutaway view would be cool.

I know I'm not helping.

Clodfobble 12-18-2013 01:45 PM

That is supposed to be a cutaway view--but I realize now that from a 3-dimensional perspective, the red and pink ought to be flipped, so darker is farther away from you. You can't tell from the picture, but one side is slanted higher so when you drop the marble in it rolls quickly down to the other end. What he's envisioning is vertical, like this, but much more complicated, and with marbles instead of cars.

Sundae 12-18-2013 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it looks amazing.
And children as smart as Minifob will see what they want to see.

My offering. Far less impressive.
I don't like gift tags. Never have done.
But I wrapped quite a few prizes of similar sizes this year, and they were certainly not interchangeable.

In the absence of any cameras in the house I was unable to dress Diz up in the Santa hat and collar I bought for him this year (Poundland), expressly for the purpose of making said tags...
In the absence of the 3/4 full pack of photo paper I was going to use for same...
Well, I had to improvise.
Photo of Diz from 2009. Printed on normal printer paper. Stuck on with sellotape.

I put this on the scanner as luckily that hasn't been "lost" :)
Pretty much life-size (the present, not Diz).

And anyway when all the presents are together it has quite a cute handmade feel to it. That and the fact that this is the wrapping paper Mum didn't use last year is making me feel quite earthy.

Gravdigr 12-18-2013 05:29 PM

What did you make today?

$615

footfootfoot 12-18-2013 06:46 PM

Bowel!
Got it in one.

BigV 12-19-2013 12:32 PM

you're full of it.

Griff 12-27-2013 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The project continues.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

glatt 12-27-2013 05:16 PM

Nice!

I don't see a single western saw. Aren't those Japanese saws awesome? The one I have is the only saw I use. My grandfather's western saws are all hanging there, but never get used.