The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Okay, this is the most recent Recipe Thread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9265)

Sundae 02-27-2011 09:05 AM

Good Indian food out your way?
Leicester opened my eyes to authentic Northern and Southern Indian cookery. Things are getting better here in the South, but nowhere near as good as the Midlands/ North.

Urbane Guerrilla 03-03-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 713307)
i have GOT to go and try This!

Veeeeer-ry Interesting... but beefy!

bbro 04-13-2011 06:29 PM

I made my own recipe up today :D Time will tell how good it is tough. It is still baking. Here's what I did:

4 ounces whole grain medium shells
1/2 c sauce
1/2 c low fat ricotta
1/2 c reduced fat shredded mozzarella
1 egg white
seasonings

I heated up the sauce and added some seasonings to it. I boiled the pasta about 2 minute short of the suggested time. Meanwhile, I mixed together the ricotta, seasonings, egg white and 1/4 c of the mozzarella. When the pasta was done, I drained it, mixed it with the sauce. In two ramekins, I put a layer of pasta and sauce, half the ricotta mixture, then more pasta. I topped them with the rest of the mozzarella cheese. They are now baking in my convection oven at 350 for about 35 minutes. I am hoping they will be done then ;)

And, yes, I know that to some of you using reduced fat things is an atrocity, but I have found that while fat-free has a noticeably different taste, reduced fat isn't bad at all. Plus I am really trying to stick with the Weight Watchers this time. After all, I am going to the beach in the middle of June! :eek:

Urbane Guerrilla 04-14-2011 08:24 PM

A lasagnoid. Cool. I like to develop a strong note of basil in my lasagna -- or tarragon. Often I mix either of these into the ricotta with the egg before assembly.

infinite monkey 04-15-2011 08:26 AM

heheheheee...lasagnoid.

I'm hungry.

plthijinx 04-19-2011 04:30 PM

ok, tonight i'm trying a recipe suggested by sheldon. i have half a fillet of salmon, lemon, fresh dill, salt pepper to taste. for the sides? 2 stuffed portabella mushrooms. can't decide whether to bake it or grill it. mushrooms are def going to be grilled. pics to come later.

plthijinx 04-19-2011 07:26 PM

here we go. fresh chopped dill, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, lemon slices (half of it sliced the other quartered to squeeze over the salmon), smashed and chopped garlic then resmashed and rechopped. then covered again in foil (poor mans dutch oven) and on the grill. along with the portabella shrooms. the shrooms are my appetizer tonight.

plthijinx 04-19-2011 08:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
damn shel. great recipe!! it was great! only i added too much garlic. it negated the dill.

wolf 05-09-2011 07:03 PM

I recently discovered that I own a mandolin.

momwolf bought a lot of kitchen stuff and then never used it. This bad boy was new in box, still wrapped in shipping plastic.

It is a very sharp mandolin. It even has a special insert for storage so you don't accidentally slice you hand off when you go to grab it out of the cabinet. I sacrificed the sponge to it while cleaning it. Unintentionally. The sacrifice was unintentional, I meant to clean it.

So, having this fine implement of vegetative destruction at my beck and call, I had to do something. Yams were on sale on my last trip to the market, so I have a few lying about. I peeled them, and then sliced them with the Mandolin of Fingertip Severing(TM). This thing is really sharp. It is so damn sharp I didn't need to apply much pressure on the downward stroke to get sweet potato chips out of it. In fact, I think a couple of slices happened just because I was THINKING of pushing the yam across the blade.

So, thinly sliced yam pieces, some spray oil, salt, baking tray 425 oven (probably should have pushed it up to 450, they weren't as crispy as I'd like. Watched 'em so they didn't burn, about 15 to 20 minutes.

I may have to learn how to deep fry.

Griff 05-09-2011 07:56 PM

yummy

Pete Zicato 05-09-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 732398)
I recently discovered that I own a mandolin.

Yeah. Kitchen implement is not the first thing I think of when the word mandolin is used.

BigV 05-10-2011 11:27 AM

heh... I read pete's quote of you first (being the last post in the thread) and the FIRST THING that came to mind was, careful, that fucker is sharp.

I scrolled upward to see the source of the quote and I happily learned that you already know this fact, and did not have to learn it exsanguinously.

DanaC 05-10-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 732448)
Yeah. Kitchen implement is not the first thing I think of when the word mandolin is used.

I had to google it.

Pete Zicato 05-10-2011 11:48 AM

Wiki uses the spelling mandoline (with an 'e') for the kitchen implement.

Clodfobble 05-10-2011 01:07 PM

I've always heard the kitchen tool called a "mandoline slicer." With or without an e, I'm not actually sure.