The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Okay, this is the most recent Recipe Thread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9265)

plthijinx 02-19-2011 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 711614)
Dude SCREW Engineering !!!
You my Friend Need to Open a restaurant !!!
Plthijinx Phine Dining !!!

hahaha! i have thought about it.

oh and when doing chile rellenos, from what i have heard, i personally have never cooked them, you either blanch them in boiling water or stick em in a really hot stove for not too long. apparently just long enough to be able to peel the outer skin off? anyone? anyone? beuller? beuller? and also, why do that anyway? what;s the benefit?

busterb 02-19-2011 06:29 PM

" why do that anyway? what;s the benefit?"
I suspect it's so the batter will stick. WAG.

Aliantha 02-19-2011 06:51 PM

Most likely it's because the skin will be tough and the flesh will be soft after cooking, so when you bite into them, there'll be crispy batter then soft flesh, but you can't bite through the skin without giving it a yank, which will make it just not quite so attractive to eat and may even make a mess.

wolf 02-19-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Winkle (Post 711755)
I would kill for Chile Rellenos. No decent Mexican food to be found in Montana.

Give it a couple of years ... they eventually get tired of landscaping and shovelling snow and open restaurants.

Urbane Guerrilla 02-21-2011 10:04 PM

Glatt, sounds like you've never had any decent Mexican in your entire life. Amble on down to SoCal sometime for the good stuff. Usually any restaurant with "taqueria" in its name somewhere, for those tasty-hole-in-the-wall kind of places. The biggest hole in the wall in Oxnard is La Gloria, a grocery-and-general sort of place, with an eatery-cum-bakery. No pretensions, just food made by people who understand the cuisine. Just south of the bus and train station downtown.

I commend to your attention a nice dish of Caldo Tlalpeņo, an easy soup to get right. It's really chicken soup with both fresh and chipotle chilis, a bit of potato and some chickpeas. Peppery Mexican Jewish penicillin about describes this. Cures what ails ya on a cold day, and makes ya lively too. Definitely wants the chipotle for the proper flavor, so be sure to have that -- canned is just fine and is the usual way anyway. I particularly like half an avocado sliced up served in it.

glatt 02-22-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 712738)
Glatt, sounds like you've never had any decent Mexican in your entire life.

You missed the part where I said that I love most Mexican food.

Chile Rellenos are cooked peppers, which I generally don't like in large quantities.

monster 02-22-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 712807)
You missed the part where I said that I love most Mexican food.

Obviously you have an unrefined palate, and so your assertion that you love most Mexican food is wrong, as you have clearly never had any decent Mexican food in your life. You might as well say you enjoy steak because you visited a McDonald's establishment and did not regurtgitate their offerings. Take it from a gustation expert such as my delightfully sophisticated self ;)

kerosene 02-24-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 712361)
Most likely it's because the skin will be tough and the flesh will be soft after cooking, so when you bite into them, there'll be crispy batter then soft flesh, but you can't bite through the skin without giving it a yank, which will make it just not quite so attractive to eat and may even make a mess.

What she said. I made some stuffed peppers once where I had to broil them briefly.

I made some really good lettuce wraps the other night. I have to get going, but I will post my ingredients later.

glatt 02-24-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerosene (Post 713190)
I made some really good lettuce wraps the other night.

:drool:

kerosene 02-24-2011 04:29 PM

Okay, here is what I used:

- 1.5 lbs of chicken breast chopped up in little cubes
- 1 onion chopped up
- 1 red bell pepper chopped up
- 1/2 cup crushed tamari almonds
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped up finely
- some olive oil
- some roasted sesame oil
- some soy sauce
- some white wine vinegar
- some fish sauce (this I think was the profound ingredient for this recipe)
- some romaine lettuce leaves

I cooked the chicken in some olive and sesame oil for a while until it was close to being done. I then, added the onions, pepper and garlic. After everything was cooked sufficiently, I dumped the cooked mixture into a bowl where I had mixed the soy sauce, vinegar, fish sauce and some more of the sesame oil. I also added the crushed almonds and mixed it all together. When we ate it, we scooped a little bit of the filling in the lettuce leaves and rolled it up and ate it. Yum!

Sorry I don't have exact measurements. I usually cook like this, where I just add the amount I like.

plthijinx 02-24-2011 07:22 PM

that sounds great! i will have to try that!

right now i have fresh redfish and sheephead in the oven. been on the pepper kick lately so that;s what they;re cooking with. oh and garlic. lots and lots of garlic. can;t beat fresh fish. caught them today. pics in the fishing thread after supper.

kerosene 02-24-2011 08:19 PM

We had scallops, steak and salad. Unfortunately, scallops are not so fresh this far inland, and super expensive, but they were tasty, nonetheless.

plthijinx 02-25-2011 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i have GOT to go and try This!

Perry Winkle 02-25-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx (Post 713307)
i have GOT to go and try This!

Good god. I need to make a trip to Houston.

plthijinx 02-27-2011 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Winkle (Post 713328)
Good god. I need to make a trip to Houston.

in houston you can get every and i mean every type of genuine ethnic cooking. from real mexican, south american, tex-mex (my personal fav), greek, italian, food. you name it. we have it. oh i wish i could eat out more. i'd weigh 50 pounds more than what i do now and would need to jockey twice as many go karts to keep from looking like the stay puff marsh-mellow man! :D