The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's more current than the weather? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7861)

fargon 12-30-2012 03:05 PM

Just use an ordinary grade 2 bolt.

Griff 12-30-2012 06:55 PM

Thanks guys, I did use a regular bolt I found (ssshhh.. its a secret) but I still need a spare.

BigV 12-31-2012 10:35 AM

what if you took the regular bolt and just sabotaged it with a hacksaw, weakening it at the place you expect it should shear?

Heck. make two, now there's your spare.

Griff 12-31-2012 11:19 AM

I'm thinking its not even necessary to weaken it if I use grade 2 like fargon suggested which the interweb tells me are bolts with no markings on the heads.

ZenGum 01-03-2013 05:22 AM

It's bloody hot.

41 today, 44 tomorrow, but the promise of a cool change in the late afternoon.

Bloody bad bushfire weather, had good rains until about 3 months ago, so there is lots of fuel about, but now it is dry as a dead dingo's donger.

Trilby 01-03-2013 07:37 AM

I looked it up. 44 = 111 degrees F.

Hoooooooooly Fuck! You poor Aussies!

Chocolatl 01-04-2013 03:26 PM

It's currently 58F/14.5C here, with 99% humidity and an unrelenting, fine, misty drizzle. I don't know you guys elsewhere deal with this kind of weather all the time! Winter always kicks my ass -- I don't know how I'll ever leave Florida.

Trilby 01-04-2013 06:32 PM

58% with 99% humidity is really good for your skin (not that you need it!) but get out there and soak it up. girl!

piercehawkeye45 01-05-2013 12:05 PM

For the past two weeks I have been in Brazil

90 degrees every day was amazing. :cool:

BigV 01-07-2013 07:49 PM

Wow.

pics or it didn't happen, right?

piercehawkeye45 01-07-2013 08:42 PM

Most of my photos involve other people so I don't want to post those, but here are some decent ones. Unfortunately, I only have postable photos of a small portion of the trip so there is much more to Brazil than this. It truly is a beautiful country.

ZenGum 01-07-2013 09:06 PM

Spare a thought for the 250 or so people silly enough to live in Oodnadatta:

Quote:

Residents in the outback town of Oodnadatta are preparing for their seventh consecutive day above 45 degrees Celsius.

The temperature at the town in South Australia's far north is forecast to reach 47C today after reaching 46C on Saturday and 47C on Sunday and Monday.

It will be the 10th day in a row above 40C.

The last time the town experienced a maximum below 35C was December 10.

The Bureau of Meteorology says the town has already set a new local record, eclipsing two previous runs of five days in a row above 45C.

Lynnie Plate from Oodnadatta's Pink Roadhouse says residents are struggling to stay cool.

"The bitumen is melting, our freezer is not coping. I had to throw out half a dozen cartons of ice cream yesterday," she said.

"Nothing is coping really. The petrol pumps won't pump unleaded after midday. They vaporise so we've got to wait for a cool change if there is such a thing.

"We've had hot days, we've had 45-plus here most definitely but not for this length of time and not with it being 45.7 degrees at five o'clock in the evening."

Tomorrow will be a reprieve of sorts, with the temperature heading for 42C before soaring to 46C again on Friday.
Today, it's going to be 43 degrees in SYDNEY. It the worst day for bushfire conditions in NSW in recent memory.

ZenGum 01-07-2013 10:46 PM

Bugger this.

Pretty much the entire country is scorching hot, completely dry, very windy, and there is no relief in sight beyond a weak cool (but dry) change moving through today.

There are something like 200 fires, many uncontrolled or uncontained, all over the place. Hundreds of houses have already been destroyed in Tasmania, but today NSW is copping it worst. The cool change is a double-edged sword, cool is nice, but it comes with winds at 60 kph gusting to 90.

The best hope for real relief is a cyclone brewing up over the far north west, which *might* send a band of rain south and west across the continent, but that will take a week at best to arrive.

Tell me again about this "snow" stuff, will you?

Good news is that no lives have been lost yet, as far as anyone knows.

piercehawkeye45 01-07-2013 11:07 PM

115 F. Damn...

ZenGum 01-08-2013 06:21 AM

It's official.

Quote:

The hot weather that has fuelled the fires in southern Australia has also delivered the nation its hottest day since records began a century ago.

The national temperature is the average of hundreds of daily readings across the country and yesterday it hit 40.3 degrees.
But heck, tomorrow it is only going to be 25 here! Then it'll start climbing again...
I think the cool(ish) southerly change is pushing the heat up towards Ali in the Brisbane area, they're in for about 38 tomorrow.