The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Today I Learned (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29898)

xoxoxoBruce 11-28-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 946749)
Classicman learned to love himself a little bit more than he did. Which is good. We should probably all try to do that.

I'll have you know I love myself quite frequently. :blush:

Quote:

Today -----just right now, in fact, especially to try and rescue this thread, I went off and learned three new things. I hope you find at least one of them interesting:

Oranges do not actually turn orange unless they are exposed to cold weather, which causes the chlorophyll to move away from the skin. Sometimes oranges grown in hot climates are treated with ethylene gas to break down the chlorophyll and turn the oranges orange to make consumers happy.

There is only one word in the English dictionary containing a double y ("yy"): Sayyid

Peanut M&Ms were created by Forrest Mars -who was allergic to peanuts.
They all are.

monster 12-07-2015 05:24 PM

90% of the world's mint supply used to be grown in south Michigan

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...od_to_mic.html

xoxoxoBruce 12-07-2015 07:58 PM

The title, "food scientist" makes me think, keep an eye on this guy, he may be dangerous. :lol:

Gravdigr 12-12-2015 12:17 PM

Recently, I learned about Elm Farm Ollie. Despite the name "Ollie", she was a cow. She wasn't just any old cow, either. Ollie was the first cow to fly. In an airplane. On February 18, 1930. I believe it was a Tuesday. She was also the first cow to be milked in flight. Elsworth W. Bunce was the first man to milk a flying cow. One has to wonder if there has even been a second man to milk a flying cow.

One also has to wonder..."Why?".

BigV 12-12-2015 03:13 PM

Because red bull wasn't available?

I ask myself much the same with respect to that epic bovine.

sexobon 12-12-2015 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My theory is it was a scientific experiment to see if a cow could jump over the moon; but, they wanted to give it a better chance by taking it up in an airplane and milking it to lighten its load before launching it.

Attachment 54439

monster 12-20-2015 09:37 PM

That chinking cups during a toast was originally to ensure a little liquid was exchanged so no-one poisoned the drink of another

That chameleons' color changing is based on their temperament rather than their surrounding

That Cuttlefish and Octopussies can change texture as well as color to blend into their surroundings.

I haven't fact-checked any of these, but they came from reliable sources during after-dinner conversation tonight :)

lumberjim 12-20-2015 11:36 PM

All true. Saw it on the Internet

Sundae 12-21-2015 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 949168)
That chinking cups during a toast was originally to ensure a little liquid was exchanged so no-one poisoned the drink of another

This I didn't know. If asked I'd have posited it was the noise which was important, to ward off evil spirits. Now I can be all superior and refuse to toast saying wearily, "It's okay, I don't actually think you're trying to poison me." :p:
Quote:

That chameleons' color changing is based on their temperament rather than their surrounding
This however I did know. It's actually an annoying piece of knowledge as so many advertisers/ greeting card manufacturers/ comedians do not seem aware of it. But perhaps that's just because I'm such a pedant, and it doesn't bother other people who know this.

Clodfobble 12-21-2015 08:33 AM

You mean this joke is not scientifically accurate?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Burnham
I put a chameleon on a red dildo...

...He blushed.

monster 12-21-2015 07:23 PM

I just learned there's a place called Hebe in PA

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 09:34 PM

Up near the state prison... uh, a state prison.

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 10:14 PM

Yesterday, 12-20, was the day the very first website was born, only 25 years ago. :eek:

busterb 01-02-2016 08:11 PM

Today is not Monday! Way I'm going, I'll be able to hide my own easter eggs this year.

monster 01-02-2016 11:00 PM

That the signed Pratchet Discworld book I got Beest once sells for $150 on ebay. We could be riiiiiiiich! :lol: