The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Weekly Wagon Roll Call (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21453)

Griff 06-28-2016 07:40 AM

Nice!

classicman 07-01-2016 08:55 PM

Proud of you buddy. Glad to see your hard work paying off.

plthijinx 07-02-2016 02:04 PM

thanks guys!

now check this out - when I got sober I did not go to rehab, I just quit with the help of meetings and LOTS of ice cream. 11 months later I find out that I have to go to rehab if I want to get my 2nd or 1st class medical.

I don't mind going, i'm sure I will benefit from it in some way, but 11 months later? there's a damn good chance that insurance won't cover this because I've already been sober for so long and the cost is going to be roughly 5 grand over the course of a 6 week IOP program where basically I go to work then go to IOP for 3 hours a night, go home and sleep. next day - wash, rinse & repeat 4 days a week. The treatment center I have in mind does have a payment plan and I will do my best to get in next week - it's just the cost. I've shelled out, in cash mind you, 8500 bucks since February/early march. At some point you have to start wondering when is enough actually enough?

Not sure I completely understand this but it is what it is. The government has their checklist and if you have not done one of those items to check off, you have to or else all is for naught.

Clodfobble 07-02-2016 04:26 PM

Bummer. How does insurance know how long you've been sober? Isn't rehab the kind of thing that a doctor refers you to, and the rest of the details are between you and the doc?

plthijinx 07-03-2016 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 963697)
Bummer. How does insurance know how long you've been sober? Isn't rehab the kind of thing that a doctor refers you to, and the rest of the details are between you and the doc?

To be honest, I have no idea. My sobriety is well documented with both my doctor and the FAA - so as far as the "anonymous" in alcoholics anonymous goes, not so much. The woman that I'm supposed to talk to Tuesday morning will be able to shed more light on this as I have no clue as to what is going on. All I know is that I'm to plan on paying about 5.5k for treatment.

But this makes it all worth it, my first night flight in about 10 years and it's my first time landing a jet at night - landing could have been much better but considering the circumstances, not too bad :)

classicman 07-09-2016 11:05 AM

Yeh, so you haven't flown in a decade and decided that a nighttime landing was a good idea for your first ... gotta love it, ya sick bastard. Congrats.

plthijinx 07-09-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 964169)
Yeh, so you haven't flown in a decade and decided that a nighttime landing was a good idea for your first ... gotta love it, ya sick bastard. Congrats.

lol! i've flown, just not flown at night in a decade. It's like riding a bike though, a little rusty, just knocking off the dust.

plthijinx 01-28-2017 09:59 AM

still lurking :)

18 months sober today :D It wasn't easy at first, but getting my life back, and the improvements that I've made to it, have been well worth the effort!

BigV 01-28-2017 10:13 AM

Bravo plt!

You have accomplished so much, your efforts are really paying off. Congratualtions. 18 months is great, but really, it's still just one day at a time, eh?

Good work.

plthijinx 01-28-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 980778)
Bravo plt!

You have accomplished so much, your efforts are really paying off. Congratualtions. 18 months is great, but really, it's still just one day at a time, eh?

Good work.

Thank you! yes, as much as I don't care for the saying, it is one day at a time.

However, in those "one days at a time" I've:
saved my marriage

been called back into working at the office where before I'd been exiled to working at home

reacquired my medical so now I get paid to fly again

obtained a jet type rating (second in command but have to start at the bottom of that ladder just like my recovery program)

my wife and I are closing on a new house either late next week or the start of the next. I haven't owned a home since my other one was foreclosed on when I went on my hiatus from society last decade

found out what serenity really means

am a much better person now than I ever was before and look forward to maintaining/improving on this every day that I possibly can

Clodfobble 01-28-2017 11:20 AM

Forgive me for my failing memory, but is this the wife that put you on your societal hiatus? Or a more recent one?

limey 01-28-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 980785)
Forgive me for my failing memory, but is this the wife that put you on your societal hiatus? Or a more recent one?

A more recent one, I believe.

Sent by magic.

plthijinx 01-28-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 980785)

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 980799)
A more recent one, I believe.

Sent by magic.

oh yes, much more recent. I met Mrs. Plt at the engineering firm I presently work for, we'd started dating about a year and a half after I started working there back in Nov. '11.

I would never ever go back to someone that crazy. It took me a very very long time to come to terms with what that woman did to me (and coming to terms with me for allowing that debacle to happen) but to be honest it was my sobering up that helped with this.

Quite hard for me to explain, but what I'd gone through was my personal version of hell on earth and I'm happy to be free from it.

Pamela 01-28-2017 09:22 PM

I can vouch for that, having met the Crazy Bitch.

plthijinx 01-28-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamela (Post 980822)
I can vouch for that, having met the Crazy Bitch.

Yep, you and NBN were the only ones that had the pleasure of meeting her irl. Zip had the pleasure of talking to her on the phone.

I honestly hope she has changed her ways and has sought/received the help she needed - batshit fucking crazy doesn't come close to a description of her back then :facepalm: