The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Be a post whore! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13909)

Lamplighter 11-26-2012 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Washington Post
Reuters
11/26/12

WWII code found on long-dead pigeon in England may never be broken
Quote:

LONDON — A World War II code found strapped to the leg of a dead pigeon
stuck in a chimney for the past 70 years may never be broken, a British intelligence agency said Friday.
The bird was found by a man in Surrey, southern England,
while he was cleaning out a disused fireplace at his home this month.<snip>

Attachment 41828

The Curator of the Pigeon Museum at Bletchley Park, north of London,
Britain’s main code-breaking center during World War II, is also trying
to trace the identity numbers of the pigeon found in the message, according to GCHQ.

Pigeons were used extensively in the war to carry vital information to Britain from mainland Europe.
Flying at speeds of up to 50 mph, they can travel distances of up to 620*miles .
But they are vulnerable to hungry hawks; during the war, bored soldiers used to take potshots at them.

Griff 11-26-2012 07:04 PM

Neat. Beats finding unexploded ordinance.

DanaC 11-27-2012 04:41 AM

I love that Bletchley Park has a Pigeon Museum.

Lamplighter 11-27-2012 07:58 AM

Code breaking and Bletchley Park have been some of my favorite readings.
We owe an awful lot to the men and women who served there.

And, I still can not rationalize that mathematicians can break a code
without even knowing how to speak/read the language !

infinite monkey 11-29-2012 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Who do these little girls think they're fooling?

I see your beady little over-made up eyes going up and down in your rearview mirror, or in my rearview mirror. I see you weaving back and forth to the edges of your lane, drifting aimlessly, at 75 mph.

I see your smug little grin because Susie said Bobby will be at the Malt Shop after classes and you just KNOW he wants to marry you and have your babies.

(Or rather: B sez u b 2 MS @ 4 him 2 k?)

Put. Your. Freaking. Phone. Away. And. Drive. The life you save may be mine.

classicman 11-29-2012 09:54 AM

^^WSS^^
Quote:

Put. Your. Freaking. Phone. Away. And. Drive. The life you save may be mine.

xoxoxoBruce 11-29-2012 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My bumper sticker.

classicman 11-29-2012 01:05 PM

Not so fun fact.... according to MADD:
Phone use - texting and/or talking will soon replace intoxication as the #1 cause of driving fatalities.

Sundae 11-29-2012 02:56 PM

I plunged a toilet today.
I could only find one rubber glove. And wouldn't you know it was the left one. So I plunged with the wrong hand. Sinister.

And yes, there was a fluffy little turd disintegrating under all the toilet paper.

I cleared it though. As was obviously expected.
My first time. I've wiped up wee, removed poop from legs and butts and sanded over sick. My first plunging though.

Why did I choose to work in a school? Why the glamour of course!

glatt 11-29-2012 03:25 PM

Good for you, Sundae. A lesser person would have cowered in fear.

I recently in life discovered the trick of pouring water from a bucket into a plugged toilet instead of plunging. It's much easier and less yucky. You get a full bucket of water, hold it at shoulder height, and just pour steadily and fairly quickly right onto the clog. The water blasts it right through. Breaks up the clog and forces it down through the trap. And no plunger that might require cleaning. Obviously, this technique isn't such a good idea if the bowl is already on the verge of overflowing.

Sundae 11-29-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 840936)
Good for you, Sundae. A lesser person would have cowered in fear.

Sadly I am one of the only members of staff without children.
Cowering in the face of turdmarines is not acceptable.
Quote:

I recently in life discovered the trick of pouring water from a bucket into a plugged toilet instead of plunging. It's much easier and less yucky. You get a full bucket of water, hold it at shoulder height, and just pour steadily and fairly quickly right onto the clog. The water blasts it right through. Breaks up the clog and forces it down through the trap.
Good plan batman. I'll try it next time.

ZenGum 11-29-2012 04:29 PM

Sundae, I'm not sure it would work in your situation, but you can turn a left glove into a right glove by pulling it inside out.

Of course, if the glove has already been used ... eewww...

BigV 11-29-2012 06:16 PM

and unless you're a stickler for fit, a rubber glove can probably be used on the opposite hand anyhow, at least for the duration of the plunging.

orthodoc 11-29-2012 06:51 PM

I think I'd also use a full face shield if trying the bucket-pour-from-shoulder-level technique. The vapor would really travel (it travels at least six feet from a normal flush).

BigV 11-29-2012 07:17 PM

I'm curious, though... from Sundae's post, but for all of you/us...

If you can wipe poop from legs and butts, why would you need a rubber glove for the plunger handle? Unless you use gloves for that too, which is not unreasonable. I reckon the plunger handle is just as contaminated as the tap handles or the toilet flush lever, and I don't glove up for them.

Must be the liberal in me.

TED Talk on the Politics of Disgust.