The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Be a post whore! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13909)

infinite monkey 08-28-2012 07:41 PM

I'm sorry. Is that a pregnancy complication? Green slime? ;)

Aliantha 08-29-2012 05:58 AM

lol...no. It's a snot complication.

infinite monkey 08-29-2012 06:33 AM

Whew! Better that, though snot ain't so fun either. Dealing with some of that myself. :)

anonymous 09-04-2012 07:31 AM

Didn't want to start a thread, so putting this here:

Meeting with the consultant today, the one for assessing office culture and environment (later we will have those looking at our actual processes.)

I have good ideas, and I'm prepared, but I'm nervous. Also, I've got work up to my eyeballs...there just isn't enough time.

So my presentation, if you will, will involve outlining where I think MY job should be...what I was expecting when I was hired (I was grossly misled) and a suggestion of removing the position from this office to the accounting sector.

You can't tell a person to lay off on the customer service and teamwork so as to better focus on your primary responsibility, yet keep putting that person in the direct line of customer service and teamwork. I'm very good at it, but it isn't why I took this job. I wanted to do the the numbers side, like I'm supposed to. Instead, every deadline comes and I'm struggling and accounting thinks I'm incompetent (because yeah, the leaders are going to say: she's behind because we make her do a thousand other things.)

I'm going to post this as anon though I know most of you know who this is (I've done that previously, not trying to hide from those who know me here but protecting myself from those who don't and those who might google.)

So, thanks for the practice. Back to the trenches for now.

ZenGum 09-04-2012 07:52 AM

Well, ahem, Anon (giggles) ... you probably know this already, but I'd just like to say:

This is your chance to be heard. Speak loud and clear and long. Back up your facts with examples. Show them your documentation, which we know you have. Do not pull punches. Stick to your guns. Name names. Do not let them argue you out of anything. No prisoners.

This has to work. MAKE IT SO.

Grrr. Go get em, tiger.

ETA: oh, and avoid cliches like the plague. :p:

glatt 09-04-2012 07:59 AM

Good luck!

anonymous 09-04-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 828243)
Well, ahem, Anon (giggles) ... you probably know this already, but I'd just like to say:

This is your chance to be heard. Speak loud and clear and long. Back up your facts with examples. Show them your documentation, which we know you have. Do not pull punches. Stick to your guns. Name names. Do not let them argue you out of anything. No prisoners.

This has to work. MAKE IT SO.

Grrr. Go get em, tiger.

ETA: oh, and avoid cliches like the plague. :p:

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 828247)
Good luck!

Thanks guys. She has gotten earsful already from those she's met with. One person, the one who has already submitted a resignation prior due to the office issues (a long-termer, a wonderful person) has to go back because 2 hours wasn't enough!

And Zen, as god is my witness, i'd rather be boiled in oil than stoop to using cliches! When the going gets tough, the tough get going, and Rome wasn't built in a day. When in doubt, I shall consult my inner child. :p:

Sundae 09-04-2012 08:40 AM

Anon - can't say any more than the others.
This is where you are firm but fair and say your piece to someone who is not emotionally involved in the process.

So you be unemotional too and ESPECIALLY push the point about not being customer-facing. Pretty much every job I've done has put emphasis on the public face of the company while marking all targets and bonuses by different criteria.

Good luck, lass.
Or lad of course, Mr Anon.

:)

BigV 09-04-2012 10:35 AM

hey Anonymous

Good luck. not a cliche.

a thought--what is important for the decision makers? It may very well be different from what they say is important. It's helpful to try to understand their motivations.

I'll be rooting for you (just not that way). :)

anonymous 09-04-2012 05:20 PM

It went well. Talked for an hour and a half. We shall see what we shall see but I had my say: diplomatically but truthfully.

Thanks all! I was nervous.

glatt 09-04-2012 06:13 PM

An hour and a half! That's good.

classicman 09-07-2012 10:07 PM

Good for you - At least you didn't take up an infinite amount of their time monkey-ing around. ;)
Straight to the point, getting to the heart of the matter and staying laser-focused on the issues is the way to go.
Do it right or don't do it at all, nothing half-assed - cuz we all know that dog won't hunt!

Go team.

Sundae 09-10-2012 03:28 PM

I've had a sausage-y day today.
Meant to get lunch on the way to school, but I admit I left home late.
Got a lift from a passing car (containing school-children!) so no chance to go shop, but thought it better to arrive early than late.

Deliberately went to change books at 11.50, knowing I could slip into the Hall and natter to the dinner ladies. Didn't know what they'd have, but luckily it was sausages (links). They offered me a whole meal (which we are supposed to pay for, but it's not what you know, it's who you know). Walked away with two sausies AND a bread roll. Slipped it into the staffroom and had a lovely sausage cob with brown sauce yummy, yum, yum.

And tonight the 'rents had sausage, mashipots and beans. Again, refused the accompaniments, but also the sausages this time. Mum decided to cook some for me anyway and put them in the fridge. So tomorrow I will add one sliced sausage to pasta and sauce and have a lovely lunch.

BigV 09-10-2012 04:53 PM

don't forget the challah

Madman 09-19-2012 10:29 AM

Well... Gotta go! Catch you sometime in 2013...