The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Be a post whore! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13909)

DucksNuts 07-23-2012 11:38 PM

I did the rosters yesterday, and rostered myself off for today :) Its 2.30pm and I have been up since 5am and everything is spotless and Ive been bored for the last 2 hours.

Shoulda gone to work.

BigV 07-24-2012 05:04 PM

"...paint my house".

Ms. Sexton 07-27-2012 11:03 AM

whats the little monkies name in picture above?

ZenGum 07-27-2012 07:55 PM

Howdy Ms Sexton!

I don't know that we ever named the monkey - it's based on the saying about an infinite number of monkeys playing on an infinite number of typewriters. We have a poster called Infinite Monkey though.

sexobon 07-27-2012 10:08 PM

Perhaps you could call it Spanky.

Sundae 07-28-2012 06:32 AM

We saw a snake yesterday.
A real, live, outside-captivity snake!

I was so excited.
First ever in my lifetime.
It just snaked its way across the hot path in front of us (concrete walk in otherwise open fields by a river).

I was out with Mum - who is terrified of snakes. They repulse her. She cannot even look at a picture of one in a book. She didn't read or watch most of the Harry Potter franchise because of this. I think she tried the first film and retired when she saw a trailer for the second.

So instead of grabbing my camera and charging after it I stood still and hugged her. I feel good about that. I also didn't mention it again, even though my whole brain was singing snake! snake! snake! and my whole body was humming along.

I know this will sound so silly to people who live in countries chockful of snakes, but it's a really extraordinary occurrence for me - like seeing a "falling star" (twice in 40 years).

Happiness.

ETA it was a grass snake, one of only three indiginous snakes in this country and non-venomous.

glatt 07-28-2012 09:19 AM

Exciting! I'm glad you saw a snake, Sundae. Snakes are cool. Even here, you don't see them every day, and I get a little excited when I see one. "Look, a snake!"

jimhelm 07-28-2012 10:19 AM

When I was a lad, my friends and I used to hunt and catch them. We had a Jr Herpetology club of sorts. Mostly we caught Garter Snakes.... but we caught a milk snake once, which was cool.. and a Rainbow garter... HUGE fucker. 5-6 feet long, and thick as a bike tire.

One time, I made a grab for a small garter...(we used to do that thing they do with Cobras where you get them looking at your one hand, then snatch them with the other) and it bit me. I was so surprised that I yanked my hand back reflexively. I tossed the snake 10 feet in the air.... and it came down right on Dan's head. It slashed my finger open as it was jerked free.

I remember Eric getting bit another time, and him being calm enough to simply remove the snake's teeth carefully from his hand, leaving a couple small punctures instead of a pair of lacerations like I had.

Aliantha 07-28-2012 05:26 PM

Come over here Sundae. You'll be lucky to go a month in the cool season without seeing one if you hang around my suburb for a while.

You'll see venomous and non. Big and small. All sorts of snakes. Some of them even up close and personal if you're really lucky. lol

If you want to see more deadly snakes than not, I'll take you to Dad's place. He has taipans, king browns, eastern browns and the less deadly red belly blacks. (we have those too, but we have a lot of non venomous around our area too).

sexobon 07-29-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 821974)
When I was a lad, my friends and I used to hunt and catch them. ...

I've even snacked on a few.

Wikipedia - Snake, consumption:
"U.S. Army Special Forces trainees are taught to catch, kill, and eat snakes during their survival course; this has earned them the nickname "snake eaters", ..."
Wikipedia - Special Forces (United States Army), introduction:
"Nickname
Green Berets, Quiet Professionals, Soldier-Diplomats, Snake Eaters, Bearded Bastards"

glatt 07-29-2012 07:14 AM

I had the rattlesnake appetizer once in a touristy steak house in Phoenix. It was alright. Six of us shared a snake segment about 6 inches long. It was broiled, I think. I'd eat it again.

Aliantha 07-29-2012 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Meet Homer and Marge, Mav's first breeding pair of Lovebirds.

Attachment 39886

Lamplighter 07-29-2012 08:10 PM

Looks like Mav is going for a "double rainbow"

Aliantha 07-29-2012 08:15 PM

It will be interesting to see what colour babies they make, if they end up being successful breeders.

Sundae 07-30-2012 05:40 AM

Pretty, pretty.

It's Cherry's Week of Wildlife apparently.
Had two hedgehogs in the garden last night - mama and baby I think.
Now hodgepigs aren't rare in my life or even in this area, but I don't see as many as I used to and still find them exciting.
I put down some cat food for them (Mia's hahaha) and they were very happy with that.
They are noisy buggers. They were up and down the decking like Roman centurians. Mum thought I was out there moving the garden furniture around.

They obviously have the same heavy paw syndrome as Diz - in which a tiny animal can exert massive force in one single paw, usually about 14 stone right on my tit at about 04.30.