The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What are You Watching on Netflix Instant/Amazon Prime/orwhateverotherinstreaming (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27934)

Big Sarge 08-21-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb (Post 907662)
Watched a little of White Collar. I think the wife of fbi guy's wife looks a little like wonder woman, Linda carter. I think is the name.

I had many teenage fantasies about Linda Carter and the Wonder Woman costume.:blush:

Big Sarge 08-21-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 907751)
I have high speed internet and tv service. I'm saying drop the tv service and keep the wireless interwebz. Is that even do-able?

Thanks for the helps. I'm dumb.

yes. I only have internet and roku.

Clodfobble 08-21-2014 05:16 PM

Yes, the cable company can provide just internet, or just TV, or both. Or if you completely hate your cable company you might be able to switch internet providers, depending on what's available in your area.

Pico and ME 08-21-2014 05:43 PM

Orange is the New Black was a surprise to me. I really didn't expect to like it, but it is a lot of fun.

I'm a BIG fan of The Killing and was so happy to see that Netflix took it on after AMC cancelled it. I really hope there are more seasons after this one, but so far, I think I am watching a season ender....ya never know this with this show, tho.

DanaC 02-05-2015 01:46 PM

So I got myself addicted to Elementary...

First time I tried it I wasn't mega impressed. The sober companion thing seemd a bit of a forced set up. But - I was just coming off a Sherlock jag, and it just didn't hit my buttons. Then about two and a half weeks ago I started watching the first series - picked up where I lelft off at ep3.

Across two weeks I watched series one. Then yesterday and today I've been ill (throat, chest, temperature etc) so have been wrapped in a blanket, drinking lemsip and watching Elementary - I've watched half of series two :P

loving it. Elementary that is. The throat and chest and sneezing nonsense not so much.

footfootfoot 02-06-2015 05:41 PM

I've powered through the first 4 seasons of the Dr. Who re-launch. I was sorry to see Tennant go and expected I'd hate Matt Smith, but he's not bad. Amy Pond is nice but a bit young. Not sure anyone can replace Rose Tyler.

DanaC 02-06-2015 05:45 PM

There's a real tonal shift with Smith. His first couple of series have a kind of dark fairytale feel to them. The thing about Amy is that to all intents and purposes the Doctor's always been in her life. From the little girl, to much later.

Allows room for some interesting stories and new relationships. There's something almost paternal in the Doctor's relationship with Amy.

Out of interest, how far along Smith's run are you?

footfootfoot 02-06-2015 06:33 PM

Just watched Vampires of venice, first season, sixth episode.

I also realized I missed The End of Time and so don't know how Tennant died. NO SPOILERS! I'm trying to down load it.

fargon 02-06-2015 07:25 PM

Washington week in review. We are so exciting. Sorry I did not see the whole thread title.

DanaC 02-07-2015 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 921308)
Just watched Vampires of venice, first season, sixth episode.

I also realized I missed The End of Time and so don't know how Tennant died. NO SPOILERS! I'm trying to down load it.

Ahhh - yes you need to watch that :P

What youmay or may not have picked up on isthat as well as a new Doctor, the Smith era brought in a new showrunner - Russell T Davies, who brought the showback and stayed as showrunner through Ecclestone and Tennant handed over to Stephen Moffatt (writer of some ofthe best eps ofthe Tennant era) as showrunner and head writer. That's why it has a differen feel to it and a different narrative style.

Gravdigr 02-07-2015 05:06 PM

Backstrom - It's like House, Bones, and Monk got together and made one of them three-person babies.

But it's kinda fun.

And just started "Hill Street Blues" (S1 E1) on ShoutFactoryTV. It's like Hulu's poor, clunky, country cousin. I think they just started streaming services this past Thursday.

Lamplighter 02-07-2015 05:41 PM

Geez, Hill Street Blues was the first of that genre

infinite monkey 02-07-2015 07:56 PM

Hi Grav! :)

Yeah, Lamp...Hill Street Blues was the first of that huge genre. Nice series.

I just watched Almost Famous. Always late to the party. It's a nice movie. I can finally see why it is so popular and rated highly.

Clodfobble 02-20-2015 11:23 AM

Just started going through 6+ years of Parks and Recreation. This is a funny show, I wonder if it ever caught on. ;)

The thing that makes it special though is not the humor, it's the sincerity. They could have made every character a caricature and had another perfectly respectable Office or Brooklyn 99 on their hands, but they keep drawing it back to honest reactions instead of silliness. An excellent show says I, almost a decade late.

glatt 02-20-2015 11:37 AM

Plus, what was it you said about Chris Pratt a while ago after seeing Guardians?

Clodfobble 02-20-2015 02:11 PM

Yeah but he's fat in this show. Only buff, dancing Chris Pratt does it for me.

Gravdigr 02-20-2015 02:54 PM

"Backstrom", on Hulu

Beest 03-05-2015 12:36 PM

Movies about robots. Both non Hollywood, not action movies, involve a lot of psychology of fear of the intelligent machines being created and trying to remain in control.

"The Machine", British movie, set in the UK not especially far in the future or different reality, about a guy who makes the first fully intelligent robot as part of a military program.

Automata seems to be from a Bulgarian studio, set in the future wher mankind is all but wiped out and on it's last legs. Robots were built to help us but they failed .

Both great films

Not about robots, not sure wheter it's great or awful

Snowpiercer After cocking up an attempt to reverse global warming the whole world freezes and everybody dies. Except for the passengers on a train which travels perpetually on a world spanning track which it takes one year to circumnavigate. At the time of the movie this has been going on for 17 years. Rich people live at the front of the train in luxury, poor people at the back in squalor. The movie is about a revolt and attempt to take ove the train for better treatment.

Sound ridiculous, yes it is if you think about it too much. if you just go with the flow of the film it kind of works.

All from Netflix

Gravdigr 03-05-2015 02:51 PM

'Snowpiercer' was not as bad as I was expecting it to be. My buddy can pick the worst movies.

And he usually does.

DanaC 03-05-2015 04:41 PM

I watched a lovely film the other day. Hector and the Search for Happiness:

It's a feel good movie - unsurprisingly - but it's really quirky.

monster 03-05-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 922997)
I watched a lovely film the other day. Hector and the Search for Happiness:

It's a feel good movie - unsurprisingly - but it's really quirky.

must watch! wonder if I can.

I'm not going to tell you what I have been "watching" recently
coughgreatbritishbakeoffcough
I'm all bored with it now, though

monster 03-05-2015 05:31 PM

Netflix sez No....

monster 03-05-2015 06:07 PM

holy fuckin shit. found it at the library. 300+ hold on 6 copies.... gonna be a while.....

Spexxvet 03-06-2015 09:12 AM

The Fall. Very good

DanaC 03-13-2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 923004)
holy fuckin shit. found it at the library. 300+ hold on 6 copies.... gonna be a while.....

Heh. Yep, that could take awhile.

I've been watching Person of Interest. I remember reading a plot synopsis back when it was first being promoted and thinking it sounded dreadful. Then the other week I read a review that piqued my interest, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Really liking it so far. Kind of reminds me a bit of Quantum Leap in some ways. I'm liking the interplay of the two main characters - and I'm liking the subplot of the police officer trying to figure out who he is.

elSicomoro 03-13-2015 06:49 PM

Just finished last season's Archer. Should have started recording this season's because now it will take forever to get the first 9 episodes. Oh well...at least we caught up on Doctor Who!

DanaC 03-25-2015 02:00 PM

Holy crap, the season 3 close on Person of Interest was awesome!

DanaC 03-30-2015 06:28 AM

I am up to ep 16 of Lost, season 1.

I do realise, given the various opinions I've heard expressed by people who stayed the course first time out, that I may end up hating it... but right now I am enjoying it.

I'd forgotten how brilliant that first season was. How original. And, I find it works well as binge tv - the timescale of their stay on the island feels more in keeping with the speed the story unfolds.

It's also, as ever, a slightly odd experience, watching something I watched 11 years ago. Like a kind of time travel. Every so often I find myself accessing how I was feeling and the atmosphere of my life whilst i was watching the first time around.

[eta] in my defence - on weekdays I am interspersing episodes of Lost with chunks of work. Over the weekend, however, I basically took up residence on the island.

Clodfobble 03-30-2015 01:44 PM

The musical comedy duo Garfunkel & Oates have a show on IFC, apparently, and season 1 just showed up for streaming. It's pretty funny stuff.

wolf 06-11-2015 09:31 PM

I have been indulging my love of Asian Martial arts movies. Mostly Chinese, but I've hit some Korean and Japanese ones as well. Favorites have bee Ip Man (1, 2, and The Final Fight), The Divine Move (Korean), Flying Swords at Dragon Gate, Tai Chi Zero and Tai Chi Hero, Dragon, and Journey to the West. This is a small sample. I've probably watched 30 or so in the last couple of months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Griff 06-12-2015 07:09 AM

Hmm... I think I have a solo movie night coming up.

Gravdigr 06-12-2015 11:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 930869)
Hmm... I think I have a solo movie night coming up.

Bow-chikka-bow-wow!!

Attachment 52029Attachment 52030

BigV 06-12-2015 01:39 PM

Try this one wolf, Griff: Bunraku.

DanaC 06-12-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 930911)

That made me giggle.

Griff 06-13-2015 03:56 PM

funny boy dat gravdigr :)

Gravdigr 06-13-2015 04:19 PM

Don't pay her no 'tention...She just smoked something marvelous.[/jelly]

Happy Monkey 06-13-2015 05:39 PM

Just finished Community. Cool. Cool cool cool.

DanaC 06-13-2015 05:47 PM

it 06-13-2015 05:50 PM

I am currently revisiting my tweens with the new seasons of who's line is it anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 931053)
Just finished Community. Cool. Cool cool cool.

Honestly that was such a good ending I almost don't want another season... Almost.

it 06-14-2015 08:08 PM

Did a bit of a sci fi marathon... From worst to best:

Jupiter ascending: Lame story with boring characters, but nice visuals.
Ex Machina: It was fine, interesting but not well paced.
Chappie: LOVED IT. The premise seems simple, but it oversteps it by quite a bit, and it's so well done. A fantastic movie all around IMO (Although the amount of homage to Short Circuit might require suspension of disbelief... At the fact it's not a short circuit remake...). Can't wait to see Neill Blomkamp's take on an Alien movie, the man is brilliant.

wolf 06-14-2015 11:53 PM

To make up for the trauma of the Game of Thrones finale, I am watching The Great Escape.

Clodfobble 06-21-2015 10:08 PM

Just watched all six episodes of "Catastrophe," new sorta-Brit sorta-American comedy only available on Amazon streaming for now. Hilarious and highly recommended.

footfootfoot 06-21-2015 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceur (Post 931119)
Did a bit of a sci fi marathon... From worst to best:

Jupiter ascending: Lame story with boring characters, but nice visuals.
Ex Machina: It was fine, interesting but not well paced.
Chappie: LOVED IT. The premise seems simple, but it oversteps it by quite a bit, and it's so well done. A fantastic movie all around IMO (Although the amount of homage to Short Circuit might require suspension of disbelief... At the fact it's not a short circuit remake...). Can't wait to see Neill Blomkamp's take on an Alien movie, the man is brilliant.

I loved District 9, was a bit underwhelmed with Elysium. I think I wrote about it elsewhere. I'm looking forward to more od his work though based on District 9.

it 06-24-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 931671)
I loved District 9, was a bit underwhelmed with Elysium. I think I wrote about it elsewhere. I'm looking forward to more od his work though based on District 9.

I more or less feel the same. Though I feel Elysium was a decent sci-fi action flick and it's a pretty good viewing experience if you are willing to take it for what it is rather then curve it out of the expectations that might come with the words "From the maker of District 9".

BTW, he is current working on the new Alien movie... I think the reaction to that will be interesting, because that franchise as a whole is often revered as a masterful piece of art with very little in the way of political or philosophical statements (At least not beyond "Corporations are evil"), but more so for it's psychology, aesthetics & executions. I think this might give him an opportunity to bring forth his strengths in those areas, in a work where politicizing the franchise would probably do more harm then good.

it 06-24-2015 07:56 AM

And on the subject of sci-fi:
Dark Matters sounded really interesting in concept, but kind looks rubbish, like an unintended parody of low budget 90s scifi shows.
KillJoys sounded like generic cliche trash in concept, but the first episode was really well done, it actually might have potential.

footfootfoot 06-24-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceur (Post 931843)
I more or less feel the same. Though I feel Elysium was a decent sci-fi action flick and it's a pretty good viewing experience if you are willing to take it for what it is rather then curve it out of the expectations that might come with the words "From the maker of District 9".

BTW, he is current working on the new Alien movie... I think the reaction to that will be interesting, because that franchise as a whole is often revered as a masterful piece of art with very little in the way of political or philosophical statements (At least not beyond "Corporations are evil"), but more so for it's psychology, aesthetics & executions. I think this might give him an opportunity to bring forth his strengths in those areas, in a work where politicizing the franchise would probably do more harm then good.

I'm looking forward to it with reserved enthusiasm in case it is horrible. It creates a dialectic between my respect for him and my general feeling taht re-makes are the resort of the unimaginative. As you allude to, what else can be added to the conversation?

I recently re-watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" with the inch as the first part of the double feature re-release/re-make of the same. About 45 minutes into the re-make we had to stop for some reason. Up to that point I felt the plot holes created by trying to update the film in light of modern technology were distracting. Eventually, I got to the reveal of the updated message. The first film was a warning about the dangers of unchecked aggression in the new nuclear age and the update was about the dangers of unchecked climate destruction in the new ozone-free CO2 enriched age.

Plus, Keanu Reeves is somewhat one dimensional, and while that may be an advantage when playing an extra-terrestrial, it didn't really work for me.

it 06-25-2015 08:36 AM

Wait it's a reboot? I thought it's supposed to be Alien 2.5, Or the new Alien 3 with Alien 3 & 4 becoming 4 & 5... Or Alien 5 with Prometheus 1 & 2 becoming Alien 1 & 2? Or just Alien 5 after Alien 4 but styled like Aliens 2? Or a midboot continuing a new timeline from after Aliens 2? Or a new ending For Ripley's part in the franchise replacing Aliens 3? And where is it in the predator time line? And will leviathan now be part of the franchise? And why did prometheus need to introduce faster then light travel? Wasn't the whole point of cryosleep an alternative to FTL?And why did they still have cryochambers when they were in FTL and didn't experience time at all? And who the fuck hired Keanu Reeves to play in the new aliens movie? Or was that just a separate segment about the earth stood still?

footfootfoot 06-26-2015 10:54 AM

I assumed a reboot, my default response is "Oh fuck, why?"

Keanu is a tangent

wolf 07-05-2015 09:59 PM

Sens8, Netflix original by the folks responsible for The Matrix and Babylon 5. I hope the various story threads coalesce at some point. But it's exciting.

Clodfobble 07-05-2015 10:59 PM

Oh shit y'all, "Halt and Catch Fire." Watched all of season one over the course of three days. So good.

Spexxvet 07-06-2015 08:39 AM

Sense8. 2 episodes in, it's the kind of weird that I like

Wayward Pines. Modern "The Prisoner"? 3 episodes in.

DanaC 07-06-2015 11:15 AM

My youngest niece was raving Sense8

also - Humans.

Gravdigr 07-10-2015 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 931851)
I recently re-watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" with the inch as the first part of the double feature re-release/re-make of the same.

Popdigr watched it (the original) last night, for the first time.

Gravdigr 07-10-2015 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 932748)
Wayward Pines.

Jumped the shark at episode 5.

BigV 07-14-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 932731)
Sens8, Netflix original by the folks responsible for The Matrix and Babylon 5. I hope the various story threads coalesce at some point. But it's exciting.

Thanks for this tip, I gorged myself finishing the whole series in two large and one small sittings. Delicious.

Happy Monkey 07-14-2015 12:13 PM

I need to get Netflix for that and Marvel. And the American House of Cards (British was excellent).

But I have so many hours of TV on my DVR and my Hulu queue that I can't justify it, dammit.

footfootfoot 07-15-2015 11:35 AM

Orphan Black season 3

I love the new character, the scorpion.

spoiler below!!!

I was sorry to see it go when Helena ate it.

DanaC 08-17-2015 04:19 PM

The Leftovers

I stayed clear of this when it first came out because I didn't find the idea of the rapture all that intriguing - but then I got into Damon Lindelof's work and started to take a little more notice. Reading about it, I realised I'd misunderstood the premise anyway.

Watched the first episode a few weeks back and it had enough going on to suggest it might be worth watching - but a disturbing air about it that made me think it might be a difficult series to watch - wasn't sure if I could stay with something so bleak. I also realised I was still way too hung up on Lost to give it its due.

Cut to a few nights ago and I decided to try again. I'm now on episode 5 and really starting to click with it.

I do have some issues with Chris Eccleston's American accent. But his performance is so good otherwise, that I'm starting to go with it.

Gravdigr 08-18-2015 03:05 PM

Just finished the last three episodes of "Californication". The last couple of seasons weren't nearly as good as the first few seasons...Still pretty good, though.

it 08-21-2015 12:26 PM

Finished watching an anime called Planetes...

I am not really a regular anime watcher, but this was well done. There is very little to no story arch except towards the end except for maybe some limited character growth... It's a genre called "slice of life" which just what it sounds like, except in this case it's done in an obnoxiously realistic setting that takes into account pretty much everything space-life related, starting from the diapers.

It did make me realize there is a sub-genre of sci fi which isn't very well defined: NowPunk. When a piece of sci-fi is so hard on mohs scale of sci fi hardness, it is for all extents and purposes asking what would it be like if we would be doing X with today's technology.
As far as sci-fi tries to be futurology (Which it often does try and fall on the ground only to remind us it never had the responsibility of doing that anyway), this is no better, except that instead of inventing fantastic applied punbrum, it marks itself for failure by depicting a nearby future that has remarkably avoided to develop new technologies or make new discoveries, despite clearly depicting a society quite invested in science in technology. Much like SteamPunk, it aims to explore the physically possible but the economically and socially improbable - what we could be doing, but can't really afford to do or organize well enough as a society to actually gather the resources and initiative to do it.