The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Where Is This? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25244)

infinite monkey 10-21-2011 10:49 AM

There's no joy in Mudville!

glatt 10-21-2011 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not a flood. They built on an island on purpose.

infinite monkey 10-21-2011 10:55 AM

On porpoise?

Is it some sort of fishing community? Crayfish catchers? Baitworm farm?

Clodfobble 10-21-2011 11:00 AM

Not very scenic, and not very far from more land, so it can't be for beauty or security reasons.

Rice paddies maybe? Or raising a herd of baby Swamp Things?

HungLikeJesus 10-21-2011 04:48 PM

Is it The Republic of Elbonia?

Edit: From Wikipedia:
Quote:

The "Tiny East European country of Elbonia." It is an extremely poor, "fourth-world" country that has abandoned Communism. Most of the nation is covered with waist-deep mud, which the residents use to build houses.

ZenGum 10-21-2011 08:58 PM

That's not quite true. Communism abandoned Elbonia.

GunMaster357 10-22-2011 02:32 PM

I'd say an village in the Amazon area.

footfootfoot 10-22-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 765906)
It's not a flood. They built on an island on purpose.

Because it was easier than building underwater?

glatt 10-24-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMaster357 (Post 766116)
I'd say an village in the Amazon area.

The closest guess so far. It IS in the Americas. Mexico.

Mexcaltitan

GunMaster357 10-24-2011 08:01 PM

I was off by at least a thousand miles

BigV 10-24-2011 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Where is this?
Attachment 34815

Lamplighter 10-24-2011 09:33 PM

The town starts with an "A" ?

Spexxvet 10-25-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 766379)
The closest guess so far. It IS in the Americas. Mexico.

Mexcaltitan

It's at 21degrees 54' 21.09"N 105degrees 28' 30.92"W

glatt 10-25-2011 08:04 AM

I'm not going to do the math to convert decimal degrees to minutes/seconds, but that sounds about right.

Did you find it on your own or from the coordinates in the wiki link I posted?

Spexxvet 10-25-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 766532)
I'm not going to do the math to convert decimal degrees to minutes/seconds, but that sounds about right.

Did you find it on your own or from the coordinates in the wiki link I posted?

I entered Mexcaltitán de Uribe into Google Earth, but that was way off. Santiago Ixcuintla was much more helpful. I didn't see the coordinates until you pointed out that they were there :blush: It's described as "off the coast", but really it's in the salt marsh somewhat inland.

glatt 10-25-2011 08:14 AM

The geology between the coast and the island city is really interesting. It almost looks glacially carved, but I seriously doubt the glaciers made it that far south.

BigV 10-25-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 766474)
The town starts with an "A" ?

Yes. I would have barred you from the competition, but I thought that itself would be too big a clue. It's a lovely bridge, I have a couple more that are pretty interesting. I only took drive by shots--actually, I have to credit my girlfriend for this one as I was driving and she's a more talented and experienced photographer than I am. Plus, she was on that side of the car.

glatt 10-25-2011 10:01 AM

That's quite a compliment for your girlfriend, because you are no slouch in the photography department.

BigV 10-25-2011 10:06 AM

Thank you, :). But seriously, she *can* drive, it was her car after all.

(eta, funny little story... actually. Ima axe her first ... yeah. brb)

Gravdigr 10-25-2011 01:12 PM

It's the Astoria-Megler Bridge. It crosses the Columbia River between Astoria, OR and Point Ellice in Washington.

Gravdigr 10-25-2011 01:14 PM

I got there w/a Google Image search, using the search term 'steel bridge Washington state'.

BigV 10-25-2011 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 766607)
It's the Astoria-Megler Bridge. It crosses the Columbia River between Astoria, OR and Point Ellice in Washington.

Correct!

This second shot was taken a minute after the first one. It is a BIG RIVER.

Attachment 34823

By the way... I'm glad you noted your method for answering this. I'd had the mistaken notion that Google was off limits, especially Google Image search....

glatt 10-25-2011 01:40 PM

I think the picture search version of GIS is off limits. But I think searching for a phrase is fair. Otherwise how are you going to do it?

BigV 10-25-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 766608)
I got there w/a Google Image search, using the search term 'steel bridge Washington state'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 761165)
It's easy to cheat, unfortunately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 761176)
Just say no to TinEye. And the new googly image searchy thing...I hadn't thought of that. I just used good old fashioned search terms.

Oh, well, you're correct in any case.

It's the Kjeragbolten, in Norwegia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 766621)
I think the picture search version of GIS is off limits. But I think searching for a phrase is fair. Otherwise how are you going to do it?

Reconcile these please?

Actually, I was stuck with your question too, hoping I'd just.. know, I'd just recognize the place. If not GIS, then what? "Fair" is what we decide is fair, of course; it's just a game. I knew Lamplighter would have an advantage, and I was right. I dunno. Text searching ok, image searching not ok? Does that sound right?

glatt 10-25-2011 02:15 PM

Google has a new image search where you can throw a picture's URL into the GIS, and it actually searches for similar images. I think that's cheating. But if you are smart enough to know how to search for images while using descriptive words, then I think that's fair. My picture a few posts back could be searched for with "jungle island city" or something like that.

Otherwise is really is impossible. Either you know it, or you don't.

Gravdigr 10-25-2011 02:21 PM

Well, it can't be much fun if you have to have been to the place to identify it. Kinda leaves out, pretty much everyone who hasn't been there. In my mind, cheating would be using a TinEye-type search, this includes the new-ish Google image search thing where you drag the actual picture to the search bar, which then performs a TinEye-type search.

It'd get awfully slow, and awfully boring, awfully fast if we were to go with first-person knowledge only. Think about it: Say Grynch posts a Where Is It? pic, from Switzerland. Unless it's a VERY, VERY famous subject, virtually no one outside of a very few world travelers will get it.

Gravdigr 10-25-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 766632)
Google has a new image search where you can throw a picture's URL into the GIS, and it actually searches for similar images. I think that's cheating. But if you are smart enough to know how to search for images while using descriptive words, then I think that's fair.

What he said.

BigV 10-25-2011 02:26 PM

Ok, thanks guys!

Gravdigr 10-25-2011 02:34 PM

This how I do it:

1. Study the picture in question for anything specific to the subject/area. A sign, a peculiarity of any kind. Something that you wouldn't find just any/everywhere.

2. Go to Google Images.

3. Type words into the search box. As I said earlier, for V's pic I typed "steel bridge Washington state", (I first typed "steel girder bridge Washington", but that didn't do the trick for me) without the quotation marks, and just drilled down the results til I found one that was similar. I then clicked the link for that image, and, after finding some sort of identifying info, double-checked it against Wikipedia.

4. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

HungLikeJesus 10-25-2011 02:35 PM

It looks like someone bent your bridge.

Gravdigr 10-25-2011 03:01 PM

I'm not sorry bout ur bridge.

Lamplighter 10-25-2011 04:37 PM

By coincidence, I had just driven to Astoria about 3 weeks ago, for the first time in ~30 years.
But that's the reason I didn't give a name in my post.

If you'd like another bridge over the Columbia, search Google Images for "St Johns bridge Portland"
Under the bridge is "Cathedral Park"... We (in PDX) think it's a magical place.

Spexxvet 10-26-2011 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Where is this?

Gravdigr 10-26-2011 02:42 PM

Somewhere wet and European.

Gravdigr 10-26-2011 02:47 PM

OK 30 minutes is enough for me today. I got nothing.

There's not enough unique reference there for my fragile little mind today.

glatt 10-26-2011 03:09 PM

It's not Europe. Those parking lots and vehicles are too big for it to be Europe. Plus there is too much space between buildings. The roofs of the houses are peaked. They look northern and fairly old. It's gotta be northern USA. Probably north east or rust belt. Near a river. Twin traffic circles are fairly rare here, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Train track too. Train tracks along rivers are common.

Gravdigr 10-26-2011 03:17 PM

I have never seen a traffic circle in person, and I've been to thirty or so states.

But not lately, though.

Gravdigr 10-26-2011 03:18 PM

Thinking about it, I've never seen video or photos of a roundabout in the U.S., either.

I feel cheated.

footfootfoot 10-26-2011 03:24 PM

Oh, you haven't lived! Traffic circles are just peachy

HungLikeJesus 10-26-2011 03:39 PM

Are you sure that those are traffic circles and not roundabouts? I don't see any stop signs.

Lamplighter 10-26-2011 03:39 PM

and just swell for pedestrians - NOT

glatt 10-26-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 766905)
Are you sure that those are traffic circles and not roundabouts? I don't see any stop signs.

I thought they were the same thing. we have these weird traffic circle intersections here in the city. but they have traffic signals, so they are the worst of both worlds.

wolf 10-26-2011 06:31 PM

Traffic circles always say "joisey" to me ... is that somewhere alog the Blackhorse Pike? Or the Whitehorse? Or Somedamnhorse?

Spexxvet 10-26-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 766938)
Traffic circles always say "joisey" to me ... is that somewhere alog the Blackhorse Pike? Or the Whitehorse? Or Somedamnhorse?

I don't think the roads involved have ever been referred to as a horse pike. Getting warm, though.

ZenGum 10-26-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 766938)

[Beavis] Black Whore Spike [/Butthead]

What is the difference between a roundabout and a traffic circle?

wolf 10-26-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 766946)
What is the difference between a roundabout and a traffic circle?

Country of origin.

Over here, a roundabout is a movable platform you put a train car on to spin it so it's pointing the correct direction.

Is that the infamous Marlton Circle, then?

HungLikeJesus 10-26-2011 07:32 PM

Wikipedia has a fascinating discussion of the many types of road junctions, complete with illustrations!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout

Look at this one from the Czech Republic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._air_K2_-1.jpg

Undertoad 10-26-2011 08:14 PM

OK what else: the four-lane road ends in the circle, it's two lanes after that.

I don't remember ever seeing that style of hashed lines marking some of the road edges.

The land has to be on the right side, the tracks on the right side and the rail line hugs the edge. Therefore it's not the Delaware, Spexx' home ground.

The land on the right side has to be rather straight, which kind of confirms it's a river and not sea or bay.

Everything is going from SSW to NNE, possibly the biggest clue.

The major buildings look to cover industrial (on the river), office space (middle) and retail (lower right), so the area has to be busy enough to support all three.

glatt 10-27-2011 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's Brooklawn NJ

Edit: And I spent way too much time on this.

Undertoad 10-27-2011 09:23 AM

Daaaamn

So the rail didn't hug the river but it wasn't river we were looking at...!

Nice work sir, I put in a good 45 minutes

glatt 10-27-2011 09:30 AM

I spent about 20 minutes yesterday and another 45 or so this morning.

I turned on railroads in Google earth, and turned off roads, and didn't find it until I noticed the color of the grass in the circles and started looking for that color.

BigV 10-27-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 766909)
I thought they were the same thing. we have these weird traffic circle intersections here in the city. but they have traffic signals, so they are the worst of both worlds.

Quote:

The conventional roundabouts (the UAE has never really implemented miniroundabouts) have difficulty in dealing with unbalanced flows, especially during peak hours when the traffic entering on an arm is considerably greater than the traffic leaving by it. In such situations, there is frequently a shortage of gaps in the circulating stream and as such, delays may become excessive.

As in many other parts of the world, roundabouts have been commonly used in central city areas where traditionally they were used to resolve traffic and pedestrian conflicts in the large open squares that existed in the early 50’s and 60’s. The central island frequently covered a large area of the square and was utilized for ornamental flowerbeds or statues whilst traffic circulated around the surrounding carriageway.

Increasing traffic demand, and the pressure to allow pedestrians to cross the carriageway at grade, has resulted in many of these roundabouts being connected to signal control, so that more positive control over traffic movements on an area wide basis may be exercised. At first part-time signals were introduced but the continued growth in demand resulted in most of these becoming full-time signals at all the key locations in the city.
Perhaps?

classicman 10-27-2011 01:28 PM

grumble mumble... I spent a lot of time on this one too. I started looking at the Delaware river much further south and went right past it.
Good job glatt and good one Spexx.

Gravdigr 10-27-2011 04:39 PM

Outstanding job as far as I'm concerned, Glatt. Did personal knowledge of some sort figure in here. I know that with V's bridge whereisit, I knew (well, thought I knew) that V lived in WA. So that's where I started looking. How did you know to look in Joisey?

Spexxvet 10-27-2011 06:08 PM

Glatt, u da man! Impressive, sir.

BigV 10-27-2011 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Where is this?

clue: Unique in the world, and I am certain everyone here has heard of it.

Griff 10-27-2011 06:55 PM

Morman Tab Organ

BigV 10-27-2011 07:11 PM

Correct!

Have you been there? How did you know?

I guess it was really more of another "What is this?", and the where would be SLC, UT. ... I'll get better at this, promise.

Griff 10-27-2011 07:19 PM

I must have seen a pic before. It was the first thing that popped into my head. sorta weird really

Lamplighter 10-27-2011 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I visited there in the 60's and V's picture is different than I remember.
This Google Images pic is dated ~ 1999