The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Products I wholeheartedly endorse (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16635)

richlevy 02-17-2008 01:16 PM

http://www.spencersonline.com/images...4.detail.a.jpg

I keep this at work. One button is a blue LED penlight. The other button is a red laser.

I also have one of these that I got for a few bucks (not $25!!!) from Circuit City before they discontinued it. The top is a magnet. The middle unscrews to reveal a small screwdriver with phillips/slotted heads.

http://thewritersedge.com/images_05/CD210_Silver.JPG
http://thewritersedge.com/images_05/CD101_Close2.jpg

Oddly enough, I haven't been able to find my invisible ink pen with built-in UV light.

Clodfobble 02-17-2008 02:31 PM

Oh, I thought of another one: Cetaphil moisturizers. Originally recommended by our pediatrician for the kid with the worst eczema, it worked so well that he was able to stop using all his other prescription creams, and everyone else in the house uses it now too, for both mild eczema and roseacea. It ain't cheap, but damn does it work.

jinx 02-17-2008 07:54 PM

Cetaphil: agreed. The soap is great too.
Sexy Hair products. I've loved everything Ive tried so far, especially the shampoos (Big, Curly)

Can anyone recommend a sneaker thats cushier than Nike Shox?

xoxoxoBruce 02-17-2008 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Streetsweepers.

Cloud 02-17-2008 07:57 PM

way too many flashing animations on that sexyhair website, jinx! I don't know anything about Nike Shox but high end New Balance shoes are pretty cushiony.

TheMercenary 02-18-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 432748)
Ooooh, cleaning products.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Not for general cleaning so much as marks, stains, anything that "won't" come off. It took black marker off a wall, crayon off a linoleum floor, and 5 years of gray gunk off patio furniture, all of which had been previously scrubbed senseless with a variety of cleaning products.

As with so many other things, the ads made it look gimmicky, and it wasn't until a woman I know demonstrated it for me--because she carries one in her purse at all times simply for the purpose of convincing other people how amazing it is--that I really understood.

My wife swears by this thing.

LabRat 02-18-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 432878)
Can anyone recommend a sneaker thats cushier than Nike Shox?

Jinx, I would recommend going to a running store to find a good shoe for you. NOT a Foot Locker or Eby's or somesuch, but a store made for runners, ran by runners, that only sell shoes that are worth a damn. Running Wild is the name of my favorite in this area code.

I started shopping there after a trip to a podiatrist to relieve an infected toe caused by running in shoes that it turns out were too big. I have never had shoe issues since I started buying from them over 6 years ago...no blisters, nothing. The brand of shoe isn't as critical as the proper size and fit. I can't stress this enough.

I have run in and loved: New Balance, Saucony, and Asics. All pairs have been $90 ea. No more, no less.

Take your current shoes in, tell them what you like/don't about them and they should be able to help you.

I know when my knees start to 'bug' me that it's time for new shoes. This is usually after running around 350 miles in a pair, no matter the brand. I buy new shoes, and poof, knees feel great again.

euphoriatheory 02-18-2008 01:46 PM

350 miles?!?! No wonder my tendonitis flares up.... when I was running Cross Country a few years ago, they told us to replace our shoes after 500 miles.

R2D3 02-18-2008 01:59 PM

Need attachements

LabRat 02-18-2008 02:13 PM

euphoriatheory- I run 85% of my spring/summer/fall miles on streets and sidewalks. Gravel trails and/or grass 'gives' more, and so you likely are going to get a bit more out of your shoes if that's the majority of surface you run on. Heavier runners, or those that are 'heel strikers' will likely get less...

YMMV

TheMercenary 02-18-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 433036)
Jinx, I would recommend going to a running store to find a good shoe for you. NOT a Foot Locker or Eby's or somesuch, but a store made for runners, ran by runners, that only sell shoes that are worth a damn. Running Wild is the name of my favorite in this area code.

I started shopping there after a trip to a podiatrist to relieve an infected toe caused by running in shoes that it turns out were too big. I have never had shoe issues since I started buying from them over 6 years ago...no blisters, nothing. The brand of shoe isn't as critical as the proper size and fit. I can't stress this enough.

I have run in and loved: New Balance, Saucony, and Asics. All pairs have been $90 ea. No more, no less.

Take your current shoes in, tell them what you like/don't about them and they should be able to help you.

I know when my knees start to 'bug' me that it's time for new shoes. This is usually after running around 350 miles in a pair, no matter the brand. I buy new shoes, and poof, knees feel great again.

We have a local store that video taped my running style and gait up close at the ground level and then told me what would be the best for me. They also measured the amount of pronation.

jinx 02-18-2008 05:32 PM

I don't even run, it doesn't seem like it should be so complicated, lol...
I just want to walk for a couple hours without my foot hurting. Actually, its just the one toe....
And the gel inserts are shit.

theotherguy 02-18-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 433130)

That might be your problem. Shit doesn't retain its squishyness over time. Try the blue ones. Not the brown ones.

TheMercenary 02-18-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 433130)
I don't even run, it doesn't seem like it should be so complicated, lol...
I just want to walk for a couple hours without my foot hurting. Actually, its just the one toe....

Maybe you should see a podiatrist. You may have a boney deformity or something else.

jinx 02-18-2008 05:49 PM

Oh yeah, well maybe you have a boney deformity!

I was just thinking about the foot doctor rout last night though, might start there.

TheMercenary 02-18-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 433137)
Oh yeah, well maybe you have a boney deformity!

I was just thinking about the foot doctor rout last night though, might start there.

Ask someone in your area for a reference. My experience is that they vary in quality. Someone who deals with sports or athletics would be a good choice.

Clodfobble 02-18-2008 06:06 PM

Jinx, is it your big toe or your pinky toe that's hurting? My mother had foot pain and ultimately had surgery to correct bunions on both her big toes, and said it was really effective.

jinx 02-18-2008 06:27 PM

Its my second toe, all the way into my foot. About an hour into my walk it starts to feel like that toe is broken, then the underneath of my foot on that area starts to burn. By hour two I can barley walk and my hip starts to hurt.

Cloud 02-18-2008 06:33 PM

by hour two? sounds like you're overdoing it a bit.

Clodfobble 02-18-2008 09:04 PM

Maybe it was broken once, and never healed right. I bet the hip pain is just from favoring the foot as it starts to hurt more.

Aliantha 02-18-2008 09:11 PM

It's probably like my dodgy ankle. After a while if I keep walking on it anyway, my whole leg hurts followed by my back etc.

Lucky I found out what's wrong with it finally is all I can say.

monster 02-18-2008 09:22 PM

oh, you lot use "dodgy" too! Whenever I say it here, they ask me to say it again and then mimic and want praise, because "it's so cute" or similar. Of course "they" being the people who aren't happy until they've heard me say "Harry Potterrrrrr" about 3 times.... :rolleyes: :lol:

DanaC 02-19-2008 06:47 PM

Harry Potter....now that's one dodgy boiler.

Cloud 02-19-2008 07:27 PM

oooh! (jumps up and down) I want to hear you say Harry Potter!

and what's a boiler? only boiler I know is a chicken. or an onion.

DanaC 02-19-2008 07:29 PM

Boiler = water boiler....the thing that heats up your water and central heating system :P

Dodgy boiler = slang for a bit of a dodgy character.

Oh and *clears throat* "Harry Potter"

Cloud 02-19-2008 08:04 PM

very nice, thanks!

dar512 02-19-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 432427)

looks cool and rides better. now she just needs firmer struts up front.

Are you still talking about Jinx here, or is this something else? :D

lumberjim 02-19-2008 10:32 PM

you haven't been paying attention, obviously.

monster 02-19-2008 11:33 PM

I wholeheartedly endorse teh interwebs.

They can be found here

HungLikeJesus 02-19-2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 433519)
I wholeheartedly endorse teh interwebs.

They can be found here

You've recursed the Cellar. Anything might happen.

monster 02-19-2008 11:51 PM

Just don't cross teh str33mz!

lumberjim 02-20-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

<customerservice@zappos.com>tohttp://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.giflumberjim@gmail.com,
datehttp://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifFeb 19, 2008 11:52 PMsubjecthttp://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifThank you for your order with Zappos.com!mailed-byhttp://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifzappos.com
these shoes arrived a few minutes ago. it's 12:33 on the 20th that's like 12.5 hours.

jinx 02-20-2008 11:59 AM

Zappos is unbelievable awesome. Free super fast shipping, both ways. Need an exchange - they send the new pair right out, just get the other ones back to them within 2 weeks. And they have everything.

glatt 02-20-2008 12:05 PM

But Zappos is always full price. If you shop for shoes during sales at a brick and mortar store, you will get them for at least 30% less than Zappos.

jinx 02-20-2008 12:10 PM

Nuh uh. Search for a brand - sale items is a subcategory. Although admittedly I shop there for the convenience and availability. I have struck out at every shoe store in the mall looking for something in particular before.

glatt 02-20-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 433607)
Nuh uh. Search for a brand - sale items is a subcategory.

Hmm. Didn't know that. Maybe it's because I've looked for particular shoes at Zappos and they were never on sale.

I'll admit that Zappos is great at having a large selection, and having the shoe you are looking for in the color you want and in your size. They are just expensive in my experience.

Shawnee123 02-20-2008 12:17 PM

I like the flowbee.

spudcon 02-20-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 433612)
I like the flowbee.

Me too.

deadbeater 02-20-2008 08:36 PM

Aw heck I approve all of the $19.95 products shown on TV.

Cloud 02-20-2008 10:35 PM

zappos is awesome. and they are expensive; they say "free shipping" but the shipping is built in to the price. But they're still awesome, especially if you have a weird shaped foot like mine, or need to try on lots of different sizes to get a good fit.

DucksNuts 02-21-2008 02:30 AM

Im a big zappos fan.

They ship directly to me and its very fast.

Im also a pottery barn fan

Cloud 02-21-2008 08:34 AM

pottery barn is just too damn expensive!

dar512 02-24-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 433504)
you haven't been paying attention, obviously.

Story of my life. :neutral:

Clodfobble 02-24-2008 07:09 PM

Popular Mechanics for Kids

Absolutely great television series from the early nineties. A wide variety of science facts explained in an understandable way, plus it's the only show I've ever seen with kid hosts that don't suck.

richlevy 02-24-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 432550)
i love my digital picture frame. my customers like it too. i could totally sell them.

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/i...ts/50_hero.jpg

I'm not sure what your make and model is, but read this.

Quote:

Best Buy Digital Photo Frames Shipped With Virus

Electronics retailer Best Buy has pulled a popular brand of digital photo frames from its online and in-store shelves, following reports that many of the devices shipped with computer viruses.
The affected frames are limited to a particular size of Best Buy's own Insignia brand photo frames, the 10.4-ich version (model# NS-DPF10A). Best Buy spokesperson Nissa French said the virus was apparently introduced as some point in the manufacturing process (the devices are made in China).
Quote:

Reports of digital devices being contaminated with viruses seem to be popping up more frequently, perhaps because so many modern electronic devices now ship with components that include writable memory. The SANS Internet Storm Center has been chronicling reports of virus infections with other types of digital photo frames, as well as MP3 players and certain hard drives.
More information here at the ISC link mentioned in the story.

Quote:

• Our readers reported more malware found on other devices such as
    • a set of MP3 playing sunglasses (store where sold is not known)
    • a 250GB Maxtor External One Touch Backup from Radio Shack
    • a "Flip Video Camera" from a California Costco
    • a MemoryVue 1040 Plus digital photo frame from Digital Spectrum Incorporated that was purchased at a Canadian Costco
    • an 8-inch Castleton digital photo frame from Uniek that was purchased at a Target
    • a Maxtor One Touch 250GB external hard drive purchased at Fry's Electronics

lumberjim 02-24-2008 07:33 PM

this is obviously just revenge for our childhood rhyme:

< Me Chinee, we play joke
we put pee pee in your coke!

we totally deserve it.

LabRat 02-25-2008 08:49 AM

Anyone else dying to see LJ do that on video??

Flint 02-25-2008 09:07 AM

Dingleshmootz!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 434694)
< Me Chinee, we play joke
we put pee pee in your coke!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 433074)
me chinese, me make joke
me make peepee in your coke

LabRat 02-25-2008 09:18 AM

OK, fine.

Both of ya do your own versions.

Whoever I laugh at hardest, wins.

Flint 02-25-2008 09:24 AM

All I just heard you say is something about a contest between LJ and myself, and you're the judge of something being "hardest" ...

Clodfobble 05-15-2008 05:11 PM

Amy's Organic Frozen Meals

I would have denied it was possible till I was blue in the face. But these are some damn tasty meals. And the snozzberries taste like snozzberries! Er, I mean the enchiladas taste like real Mexican food. My instincts are to still deny that's possible too, but I just ate yet another one and by God, they do!

Shawnee123 05-15-2008 05:12 PM

Snozzberries...lol

Cloud 05-15-2008 05:30 PM

yes, those Amy's are great. I like the cheese enchiladas, in particular, though I always soak up the extra oil with paper towels before I eats them.

Expensive though.

Clodfobble 05-15-2008 05:52 PM

$2.99 at my grocery store, is that more than your average frozen meal? I typically avoid them like the plague, so I confess I don't know.

Cloud 05-15-2008 05:54 PM

That's cheap--they run about $3.99 here.

footfootfoot 05-15-2008 05:57 PM

When the inch was born and we were still in shock as newbie 'rents we ate a pile of amy's frozen ... product.

One day we looked at one another and said "This is garbage."

It's been pizza and chinese take out ever since.

footfootfoot 05-15-2008 05:58 PM

the last part of the last post was a lie. It was actually chips and salsa and cheddar cheese ever since.

Cloud 05-15-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

actually chips and salsa and cheddar cheese ever since.
hey! that's what I had for dinner last night.

footfootfoot 05-15-2008 06:16 PM

Hey! It's not just for dinner. Mash it up and warm it and put it into an omellette. omelette. ommellette. one of those egg things.

Undertoad 05-15-2008 07:27 PM

I can't eat any of those frozen things any longer, because I ate too well for too long and realized the difference between them and real food.

Tonight - thin pork chop, broccoli and a baked potato. I endorse this meal.