The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Today I Learned (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29898)

DanaC 04-04-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 895949)
:)

Carol told that joke on The Walking Dead. ;)

It's an oldie, but a goodie.

I watched that this week!

Gravdigr 04-04-2014 01:42 PM

Today I learned that eel young are called grigs.

infinite monkey 04-04-2014 01:45 PM

Oh yeah? Well, did you know that a group of accountants is called a 'balance'?
/geico commercial

footfootfoot 04-07-2014 09:30 AM

I think my son is a sloth. He consistently blocks the toilet drain with poops the size of a red bull can.

WTF? dude. I asked him how often he poops and he said a couple of times a week.

Gonna sneak some Senna into his cornflakes...

Undertoad 04-07-2014 09:50 AM

Tell the little dude that there is no shame in it and teach him to use the plunger.

from personal experience

glatt 04-07-2014 11:01 AM

Yeah. We had a "mystery" clogger for a while. Nobody would admit it was them. Except I knew it was my daughter, because a parent can read their kids easily. So next time there was a brick in there, I showed them both how to unclog a toilet. That let her save face because her brother was in there too. And they both learned a life skill. Hasn't been a problem since.

BTW, I think plungers are gross. I prefer a bucket of water poured in from shoulder height. It's cleaner. I taught them both methods. Besides, if you plug up a friend's toilet, they might not have a plunger in there, but they probably have a water tight trash can you can fill from the tub spout.

footfootfoot 04-07-2014 12:01 PM

They know. Buckets of water don't work, nor do plungers. They need to be broken up...

I finally got them to stop leaving catcher's mitts in there. baby steps.

BigV 04-07-2014 12:15 PM

Ugh..

Yeah, plungers *are* gross, but your preferred alternative sounds like a far riskier proposition. Putting More water into an already partly, maybe mostly full bowl with a finite capacity sounds dangerous. Sure, it's *possible* to drown a fire with gasoline, but I don't want to try it.

The toilet in our house can only take.... small bites, shall we say. Flush early and often. I don't ration the toilet paper, but the toilet does. And when it does, it is almost always during some point in the drain part of the flush cycle, leaving some material and some quantity of water in the bowl. Then the recharge/refill part of the cycle continues, refilling the bowl.

To me, moving that mess down the road with the minimum fuss, overflow, and nasty splashing (how the hell do you keep the splashing down?!) means using the plunger, carefully. The plunger can be, and is, cleaned afterward.

The worst case is when that early and often plan is begun not early enough and the second flush only lights the fuse of the bomb your sitting on. Detecting the detonation by the soaking of the scrotum in a big bowl full of filth is one of the worst surprises *ever*.

There's no time to find and fill a bucking fucket.

glatt 04-07-2014 12:34 PM

I understand your skepticism, but the bucket of water really works.

footfootfoot 04-07-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 896225)
I understand your skepticism, but the bucket of water often works.

Depends on the bowl, properly executed plumbing, and ninja turtle population.

Lola Bunny 04-08-2014 10:02 AM

What if you poop twice a week?

Clodfobble 04-08-2014 10:38 AM

A healthy digestive system should be pooping more often than that; ideally one formed movement per day. But it's not the worst health problem you could have...

Gravdigr 04-08-2014 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

and nasty splashing (how the hell do you keep the splashing down?!)
We use a plunger with a snout.

Like this one:

Attachment 47305

Try not to be too vigorous w/the plunging.

Gentle, like a lover.

xoxoxoBruce 04-08-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny (Post 896276)

You're full of shit. :haha:

Gravdigr 04-08-2014 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bored much? Do a Google image search for sexy plunger.

The results are...interesting.

Attachment 47306

Gravdigr 04-08-2014 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny (Post 896276)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 896290)

Attachment 47307

glatt 04-08-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 896289)
We use a plunger with a snout.

Those are extremely effective at clearing a clog, but more than once, I've had the log get pulled up inside the snout where it didn't want to come back out again. Then I found myself banging it against the inside of the bowl, trying to fling the shit out. I didn't like that.

The whole situation isn't very good, no matter how you look at it.

As long as they are going to limit us to a 1.6 gallon flush, they should mount the tanks up by the ceiling again, like they used to in the olden days. Then the flush would have some force behind it.

xoxoxoBruce 04-08-2014 12:07 PM

They still make them, they even make tanks that hide up in the wall, but that won't help if the bowl exit is not shaped properly.

Undertoad 04-08-2014 12:16 PM

You never see that blue shit in the water anymore. Was that just a fad? Is it still a thing in some parts of the country?

Gravdigr 04-08-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 896296)
Then I found myself banging it against the inside of the bowl, trying to fling the shit out.

I'm picturing a lacrosse-type action.:lol2:

xoxoxoBruce 04-08-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 896303)
You never see that blue shit in the water anymore. Was that just a fad? Is it still a thing in some parts of the country?

It clashes with the décor and turns the dog blue. :haha:

footfootfoot 04-08-2014 12:45 PM

They still make it but my BIL, the plumber, says it's the worst thing for the rubber and plastic parts in the tank. (flapper, gaskets, etc)

Lola Bunny 04-08-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 896290)

You're damn right I am!

Clodfobble 04-08-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot
They still make it but my BIL, the plumber, says it's the worst thing for the rubber and plastic parts in the tank. (flapper, gaskets, etc)

Yeah, I went looking for something similar when we had a perpetual mold problem in my stepkids' toilet tank (since it goes for 2 weeks at time without getting flushed,) and the internet and later a plumber assured me that the stuff would dissolve the internal workings of a toilet within 1-2 years.

BigV 04-08-2014 01:50 PM

Today I learned that Jupiter has sixty moons! When I went to fact check that DeGrasse fellow's claim, Wikipedia says sixty-seven! Regardless, Wow!

glatt 04-08-2014 01:55 PM

I wonder how big a satellite has to be, to be considered a moon.

BigV 04-08-2014 01:57 PM

detectable. there are billions of moons in our own solar system, since the definition of moon is natural object orbiting a planet. the rings of saturn are comprised of many, many, many "moons". Since you aksed.

Gravdigr 04-08-2014 03:40 PM

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

♪ ♫G.I. Joe!♪ ♫

Gravdigr 04-08-2014 04:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
On safari the other day, I saw this example of what they (around here) call barn art. It's usually a loft door, sometimes the main doors, or the side of the barn.

Attachment 47313
Attachment 47314

And, today, I learned about the Ninth Infantry Division, "The Old Reliables".

Lola Bunny 04-10-2014 10:54 PM

I found out that it was the Japanese who invented the fortune cookie. :D

xoxoxoBruce 04-11-2014 04:16 AM

No shit, really?:eek:

Lola Bunny 04-13-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 896550)
No shit, really?:eek:

Yeah. The Chinese in China don't even know what fortune cookie is. It was the Japanese who brought it into the U.S., and if you go to this one city in Japan (I forgot where), you can find similar like fortune cookies, but with their own flavoring, like seaweed, etc. During the WWII when the Japanese were put into camps, the Chinese saw the opportunity and hijacked the idea and made it their own. :lol:

busterb 04-13-2014 07:59 PM

Don't sift homemade Tony's without a dust mask!

Gravdigr 04-23-2014 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I learned about this bridge in Zanesville, Ohio:

Attachment 47439

It's called the Y Bridge (can ya figger out why?) The story said Ripley's Believe It or Not refers to it as the only bridge in the world that you can cross and still be on the same side of the river.

glatt 04-23-2014 03:37 PM

Cool. Thank you for sharing that.

Gravdigr 04-24-2014 03:45 PM

You're welcome.

xoxoxoBruce 04-24-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Ripley's Believe It or Not refers to it as the only bridge in the world that you can cross and still be on the same side of the river.
Not so, you'll cross one river or another.

Happy Monkey 04-24-2014 08:06 PM

Not if the smaller one's a stream or a creek.

toranokaze 04-25-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny (Post 896758)
Yeah. The Chinese in China don't even know what fortune cookie is. It was the Japanese who brought it into the U.S., and if you go to this one city in Japan (I forgot where), you can find similar like fortune cookies, but with their own flavoring, like seaweed, etc. During the WWII when the Japanese were put into camps, the Chinese saw the opportunity and hijacked the idea and made it their own. :lol:

I have heard rumor that fortune cookies are sold as American novelty food.

SteveDallas 04-25-2014 12:44 PM

The Fortune Cookie Chronicles, by Jennifer 8. Lee, is worth a read if you're interested in where fortune cookies, General Tso's Chicken, and other "Chinese" food staples came from.

busterb 04-28-2014 12:11 PM

Do not handle hot pepper pods for seeds, then take a leak. Without washing hands. Not all bad. First time I've felt heat down there in a long time. :bolt:

Gravdigr 05-01-2014 03:52 PM

Buster, my old man (72) got such a kick out of that last sentence.

Gravdigr 05-01-2014 03:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today Yesterday I learned some new stuff about recycling:

Attachment 47531
Attachment 47532
Attachment 47533
Attachment 47534

Gravdigr 05-01-2014 03:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 47535
Attachment 47536
Attachment 47537
Attachment 47538

I'd tell ya where I came across this info, but, I'm drawing a total blank.

SteveDallas 05-01-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb (Post 897826)
Do not handle hot pepper pods for seeds, then take a leak. Without washing hands. Not all bad. First time I've felt heat down there in a long time. :bolt:

Also, contact lenses.

I've learned to just always use rubber gloves.

Undertoad 05-01-2014 10:22 PM

Every time you take a leak? That's overkill!

SteveDallas 05-05-2014 04:31 PM

I can't be too safe.

glatt 05-08-2014 10:06 AM

Oxytocin. Holy shit. Do we even have any control over what we do?

Saw this MIT student video on FB this morning.

This hormone controls so much of our behavior. It has a lot of female physical stuff it does around childbirth, but the interesting thing is the emotional trust, bonding, and generosity it causes in both men and women. And the hormone is produced when we witness others bonding or we are among friends or are physically touched. It totally manipulates our behavior, for example, it's probably responsible for us being monogamous. It increases our generosity and ability to interact with others. It even aids in wound healing by reducing inflammation. So having someone emotionally supporting you as you heal really does make a difference.

It's even a dessert topping and a floor polish.

How have I never heard of this hormone before?

xoxoxoBruce 05-08-2014 11:23 AM

Oxycontin is the antidote. ;)

Clodfobble 05-08-2014 01:26 PM

Minifobette took prescription oxytocin for about three years. Made a massive difference for her in both sociability and speech.

Griff 05-08-2014 06:21 PM

Today I learned that if you go to a pretty involved kid's CPSE meeting clean-shaven and prepared, people around the table will start asking you to apply for positions that are not posted yet so they can staff the room the kid needs...

Clodfobble 05-08-2014 07:21 PM

Nice! (Assuming you want one of these positions?)

Griff 05-09-2014 05:28 AM

I'm not sure. I really like what I'm doing now and my current administrator is very hands-off. A district job is mo money and they do have kids that need my skill set but I'd be jumping into a bit of an unknown administratively and it is a troubled district so who knows what kinds of shake-ups are coming... so bottom line, I don't know. I need to find out what the retirement implications would be as well.

xoxoxoBruce 05-09-2014 06:08 AM

Heads, you're part of an earnest attempt at improving the district system.
Tails, you're the sacrificial lamb to protect cronies when the shit hits the fan.

It sounded before like you don't have much job security where you are now.
Mo money is nice.
Will the district let you wear a cape? :cool:

Gravdigr 05-12-2014 05:06 PM

And after that, I saw this next one in the 'Related Videos':

Griff 05-12-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 898763)
Heads, you're part of an earnest attempt at improving the district system. Could be. They have a long way to go against the tide. It looks like the top down Common Core approach stands in opposition to the education of children, especially urban kids who start out behind.
Tails, you're the sacrificial lamb to protect cronies when the shit hits the fan. Last hired first fired.

It sounded before like you don't have much job security where you are now. I smell a strike in the district's future as well. Right now, I'm part of the only highly functional classroom team in the department, so I have more security than most. Our "business model is sketchy though.
Mo money is nice. Not being bothered by administrators is nice as well. Right now I have that but it could change.
Will the district let you wear a cape? You're thinking of the English Department.:cool:

fargon 05-14-2014 08:53 PM

Today I learned that beavers teeth are strengthened with iron, and I wondered how. So Keryx found this: http://learnsomethingneweachday.word...ted-with-iron/

DanaC 05-15-2014 02:39 AM

Oxytocin is fascinating.

Gravdigr 05-15-2014 12:17 PM

Today I learned that the jackalope is not a mythical creature.

from Wired:

Fantastically Wrong: The Disturbing Reality That Spawned the Mythical Jackalope

I know!:eek:

glatt 05-15-2014 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That picture of the bunny infected with the shopes papilloma virus reminds me of the guy in India with the weird growth on his hands.

Attachment 47679

And then reading through that thread of the guy with the hands, I see Kitsune made the same connection.

Both are caused by a papilloma virus. One is shopes papilloma and the other is human papilloma. And there's a vaccine for the human kind.