The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Mornington Crescent (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13290)

CzinZumerzet 02-15-2007 06:24 AM

Speechless Tonchi. A first!

Ho hum... Baker Street I presume :rolleyes:

monster 02-15-2007 08:01 AM

This is all getting way to stressful. I think we need to make the next stop Mudchute for a little R&R and some more brown line jokes.

Mudchute inner city farm

Tonchi 02-16-2007 02:00 AM

I say, mind if I have the rest of your chips? Me moggie's still hungry.

monster 02-16-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonchi (Post 316256)
I say, mind if I have the rest of your chips? Me moggie's still hungry.

Your pussy is peckish? I suggest the faggots would be more to it's taste.

I think Mudchute has you all in spoon, so I'm invoking the Perthow-Greene ten hour timeknip, after which I think I can legitimately move straight to MC for a decisive victory.

Shawnee123 02-16-2007 12:23 PM

Wow, I have no clue what you people are talking about.

CzinZumerzet 02-16-2007 03:31 PM

I am challenging the Perthew-Greene timeknip Monster, 21.25 in Somerset! Phew, unless you have bumped onto MC from the Kings X side...?

I suggest a sojourn at Neasden in the grey light of dawn.

CzinZumerzet 02-16-2007 03:48 PM

Shawnee there are several goodish sites but this one seems as good as any I think. Just whatever you do don't ask the rules, you'll start an incident!

Tonchi 02-16-2007 04:13 PM

He is blocked from making that manoever anyway, because somebody on the 18:00 to Virginia Water trod on J.K. Rowling's toes and she sent the train through a wormhole to East Newark. Can't get them back until next week, you see.

monster 02-16-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CzinZumerzet (Post 316429)
I am challenging the Perthew-Greene timeknip Monster, 21.25 in Somerset! Phew, unless you have bumped onto MC from the Kings X side...?

I suggest a sojourn at Neasden in the grey light of dawn.

You got lucky there, I was late back because there was the wrong type of snow on the line.

However, the delay gave me time to reflect at length upon this game and I believe my sacrificial move to Maida Vale will actually make it Mornington Cresent in two.

CzinZumerzet 02-17-2007 06:51 AM

I am invoking the 'Holland Park Fool's Mate' employed by 'The Unknown Anorak' 1996 and I trust you are aware of the dangers inherent in playing Maida Vale after Neasden............?

Fingers in my ears then, Chalk Farm :worried:

Tonchi 02-17-2007 06:29 PM

I'm most appreciative that you did that, since I was prepared to resort to Ammendment Nine (Book 9, pub. 1938 in Edinborough), which states that pyrotechnic devices are permitted so long as they can be concealed under your mac.

Shepherd's Bush, then. Dare get into that, would ye?

monster 02-17-2007 10:29 PM

Shepherd's Bush is an illegal move at this point (see Chemeck vs Gany vs Smith 1988), however it doesn't hinder me and in fact prevents CzinZumerzet putting me in huff, so i'm going to let it ride and go for Kentish town.

MC in 1 unless......

bluecuracao 02-17-2007 11:57 PM

[applause at Tonchi's Shepherd's Bush]

Tonchi 02-18-2007 01:52 AM

Beg pardon, it is NOT illegal; this case is still in the courts. No doubt players who do not bother to keep up with the dockets believe that just because two players from the Harrods team and a spectator were inadvertently killed when the manoever was last performed by Sherrill Vanderhooven of Johannesburg (Meerkats, est. 1969) it should not be playable but I assure you that is not the case. Cit: The Sun, Thursday August 22, 2002, back page; and The Underground Holocaust by Ardsley Wilson Snipe, ed. 2003.

Now that you are straight on that play, I will have to inform you that the Kentish Town terminal is closed for the filming of Trainspotting IX and you will be rerouted to Wapping on the East London until the sanitation crew is finished inspecting. Meanwhile, I shall double you by way of Arsenal.

bluecuracao 02-18-2007 02:09 AM

[gasp]

CzinZumerzet 02-18-2007 06:45 AM

Right, and definitely a challenging ruse but this provides us with an inverted diagonal possibility . I am going with the Mayfair Gambit whick allows for a change of rules as it's Sunday and Chinese New Year.

I have roast pork and Cider waiting for me at the pub so this is a rushed move but one which should keep you thinking for a bit longer.

I'm making an oblique to Embankment and the clue is in the colour...

Tonchi 02-18-2007 07:09 PM

By Jove, an excellent choice since one might otherwise have to skip dinner due to the time zone change. I am having to make do with my trusty hip flask :3_eyes:

SteveDallas 02-18-2007 07:33 PM

If anyone is still confused about the rules, perhaps this video would be helpful.

monster 02-19-2007 03:43 PM

Aha! Thanks for the reminder...

Mornington Crescent.

The Kentish Town Diversion Inversion gets them every time!

CzinZumerzet 02-19-2007 06:12 PM

Congratulations Monster and well done you for spotting the Kentish Town Diversion Inversion. Great playing!

What bit of the UK are you from? If you have already dealt with the question on another page I apologise for going over old ground. Have you been gone long?

I know its bad luck to kick off a new game within a segment which shares the 'prinking' cross over from Kings X to Chalk Farm, no need to take risks. Even if it's post inversion.

Once again, lovely example of oblique shunting! I didn't see that coming! :cool: Super Cool!

monster 02-19-2007 06:19 PM

Childhood near Stockport with a bit of allover thrown in for good measure, 10 years in Birmingham as an adult, then shipped over here to convert the heathens ;)

You think we need a new thread for a new game then? I'm unfamiliar with the superstitious side of the game -I find it hinders my use of the archaic rubrics of the pearly kings.

CzinZumerzet 02-20-2007 11:07 AM

No need for a new thread really, I think I was just creating a diversion waiting for the unbearable closure of Regents park to be lifted but it's not to be. Makes one wonder what is going on down there... :worried:

Anyway, I give you Chancery Lane for entirely sentimental reasons. For many years I had a flat in Leather Lane which runs paralel to Hatton Garden and connected High Holborn to Clerkenwell. It was the heart of the Italian quarter & fantastic restaurants & leatherworkers. Chancery Lane was our street corner station.

I don't know your old stomping ground at all but most of Brum retires down here to Weston Super Mare and end up running pubs and small businesses. The new Bullring though...that is serious shopping to die for.

JayMcGee 02-20-2007 07:03 PM

as an ex-brummie, I do indeed know weston well.....spent many a holiday on the mud-fla......beaches of weston.....

Now in cheshire for the last 15 years, but went back to Brum last year for a look round and my how it's changed! Almost wants to make me move back there.....

and speaking of moves......

BANK

monster 02-20-2007 10:00 PM

Oxford Circus

CzinZumerzet 02-21-2007 09:01 AM

Has to be....Tottenham Court Road

Undertoad 02-21-2007 09:12 AM

Baker Street!

Cyclefrance 02-21-2007 09:36 AM

Aaah, do I detect a musical bias infiltrating the gameplay - in that case

WATERLOO

Undertoad 02-21-2007 10:27 AM

Oh now I love this challenge!

I was always and remain a fan of Squeeze, and their song Piccadilly from East Side Story. So, Piccadilly Circus

limey 02-21-2007 10:37 AM

That, of course, will take me back to the
Old Kent Road! (I hope you all will forgive me for mimicking the manoevre that nearly lost the game for Ghandi when he played against the entire British Civil Service in India as an example of civil action causing civil service inaction, but we all know what happened next!).

monster 02-21-2007 09:19 PM

Whitechapel, of course

CzinZumerzet 02-22-2007 05:50 PM

Oh yes! Me me me please!

WESTMINSTER

monster 02-22-2007 08:27 PM

using the Diana inverse sideline to get to Pimlico

CzinZumerzet 02-23-2007 08:31 AM

Protocol demands a following glissade toward the west, so more in hope than anything else,

Bond Street

monster 02-24-2007 10:47 PM

Earl's court

Cyclefrance 02-25-2007 04:56 PM

Now that creates an interesting dichotomy. Should we think of the aristocracy in which case there can only be one other choice of court.... but wait, perhaps the court referred to is one of play (would that be in, or out, I wonder - definitely 'in' according to American thinking) which would lead us in a southerly direction... but there is of course another, so I will play

TEMPLE

CzinZumerzet 02-26-2007 04:58 AM

As tribute to La Mirren and to HM I offer, of course:
QUEENSWAY:queen: :queen:
(2 queens this morning)

Cyclefrance 02-27-2007 07:17 AM

A timely yet bold introduction of the inspired double regal move so seldom witnessed at such an advanced stage of the game - not something I would have undertaken myself. I think PERIVALE is probably the best of the very few responses available.

monster 02-27-2007 12:30 PM

Oh now you've done it! According to my calculations, there are only two ways I can possibly prevent you from reaching MC next stop. If I use the Kline-Hope-Kline Jr. move that's going to get us stuck in the loop for a long time, but the alternative to Willesdon Junction is just so risky I don't think I'd dare try it, even with the anonymity of the internet. Nope. Sorry, it's got to be Dollis Hill.

Undertoad 02-27-2007 12:35 PM

Aha!!! Mornington Cre--

--

No. I'm sorry, I was... anticipatory.

My actual move is the rather pedestrian Barbican

monster 02-27-2007 09:22 PM

hmm.

British public transport and British public etiquette, eh? A bad mix.

Once again, I was waiting for someone else to jump into the fray, and whilst I was busy being so British, the last train on the line out of the loop sped through the station so I have to say....

Dollis Hill.

(sorry)

limey 02-28-2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 318702)
Aha!!! Mornington Cre--

--

No. I'm sorry, I was... anticipatory.

My actual move is the rather pedestrian Barbican

Oh UT, you so nearly scooped it there. I must say that I've been bowled over by the talent here in the Cellar (though of course I shouldn't have been surprised) both from people whe I knew were bound to be MC experts and from newcomers alike. This game is so enthralling ... the twists and turns, the erudite references to precedent, the asides, sidings and, junctions and points .... just fabulous.
But since Monster has put us through the Dollis Hill double, that does open up the rarely available possibility of taking a swerve round to Hangar Lane ...

CzinZumerzet 03-01-2007 07:26 AM

...and the swerve curves into the great swoop seldom attempted without grave risk to the following podumes. Seriously though, and without frightening the horses, I am lead to Galleons Reach as a compromise move.

Griff 03-01-2007 03:36 PM

pfft... seriously cz think before the play, that's no closure.

Aldwych

monster 03-01-2007 08:08 PM

Aldwych? Are you for real? Is it my birthday? I want cake.

Baker Street. :D

Undertoad 03-01-2007 08:14 PM

Barking Barking BARKING!

I go by "Barking Toad" sometimes when "Undertoad" is taken. Extra marks to anyone who gets the reference.

monster 03-01-2007 09:14 PM

oooh, nice recovery there, UT. I will remember that. Very neat.

Hmm.

Vauxhall.

limey 03-02-2007 04:37 AM

Did you know that the Russian for "station" is вокзал (vokzal) because when a Russian was being shown Vauxhall station he asked "What is this place called?" and was given the reply "Vauxhall". This anecdote gives me the opportunity to make a move only introduced since the end (discuss, in no more than 500 words) of the Cold War and introduce a(nother) international element ....
Алексеевская (Alekseyevskaya) ... (way out east).

CzinZumerzet 03-02-2007 05:20 AM

Cockfosters!
I'm flying I'm flying..!!

monster 03-02-2007 10:26 PM

you're derailing, more like....

Marylebone

CzinZumerzet 03-03-2007 10:26 AM

Yes well...it was Friday and tonight's lunar eclipse is causing some unusual luna-type excitement. We lead terribly quiet lives down here at the winter seaside of Weston On The Mud. However, from Marylebone to MC is but a shortish hop via the darkely Holmsian depths of Baker Street, Elementary finish from here...?

monster 03-03-2007 11:22 PM

Gah! Dollis Hill :(

Cyclefrance 03-04-2007 05:48 AM

It may be elementary to you, CZ, but in my book after playing Baker Street it's only when you have eliminated everything else that what remains must be the........ Eughhh...! Oh, my god, I've been murdered!

No, I haven't, only joking, but really we haven't eliminated everything else – that clever play by Monster demonstrates this superbly – from my side I think the time is ripe and route-full for SOUTHWARK, a relatively new arrival, but nevertheless permissible under the Lyttleton-Brooke-Taylor memorandum of 27 October 2006 - but I admit that we are getting closer to a crescential climax with every move, naturally….

CzinZumerzet 03-06-2007 09:55 AM

Mornington Crescent!

After a long drawn out silence, it was undoubtedly just sitting there waiting to be plucked out of the ether. Or soot actually. Sunday last I went to lunch at the V&A, having walked from High Street Ken on the District Line (by the by, the roast lamb & trimmings at the V&A is exceptional and one of the best I have had...yum at the memory) and the soot still collects up ones nose. Not to put to fine a point on it. Reminds me of one of the reasons I left London, but not permanently. Digression. It has to be MC.

monster 03-06-2007 11:00 AM

I was hoping the silence meant you hadn't noticed that. Poo. Well Done, nicely finished. Barry Cryer would be proud of you.

Okey Dokey, third time lucky. I think you'll agree that -whilst unusual- Seven Sisters will make for an interesting opening move.

CzinZumerzet 03-06-2007 11:09 AM

O thank you Monster. It was just hanging there wasn't it. There is something quite spooky about your opening (something the bishop might have said ?) and countered by a double twist to see what came up - it was Harrow-on-the-Hill

monster 03-06-2007 11:12 AM

Ickenham.

limey 03-06-2007 11:58 AM

Twickenham!

CzinZumerzet 03-06-2007 05:07 PM

WEMBLEY PARK

monster 03-06-2007 09:53 PM

Cutty Sark

CzinZumerzet 03-07-2007 10:56 AM

Gotta be, East India