The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guns don't kill people .... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24412)

Aliantha 03-01-2012 06:42 PM

You know, the other thing I think about with this issue is that more teenagers are killed or seriously and sometimes permanently injured in hand to hand combat than with guns.

Kids are violent.

They learn it from us grown ups.

BigV 03-01-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 798287)
No, but it's fun watching knee jerkers blame guns for a murderer's actions.

Hey...

Can you please identify the responsible party or object in this case, in your opinion, of course.

Quote:

BREMERTON, Wash. - Bremerton police say the 8-year-old girl was accidentally shot Wednesday afternoon at Armin Jahr Elementary School in Bremerton, by another student.

Police say a student brought a gun to school and it fired while in his backpack. The bullet went through the bag and injuring third-grader Amina Bowman.

Lamplighter 03-01-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 798284)
<snip>Do we even know how the boy got the gun?

FWIW: here is your ever-reliable Fox News to answer your question...
Note: These are only "school-shootings"

Fox News

2/28/12

School shootings and where students got their guns
Quote:

A list of some school-shootings and where authorities believe the students obtained guns:

Feb. 27, 2012: Seventeen-year-old T.J. Lane arrested following a multiple shooting
in a school in Chardon, Ohio, outside of Cleveland.
Three students died and two were wounded in the spree, which started in the school cafeteria
as he and other students waited for buses to other schools.
Authorities did not immediately say where they believe Lane got a .22-caliber handgun.

Feb. 22, 2012: A 9-year-old boy in Port Orchard, Wash., brought a .45-caliber handgun
to his elementary school where the weapon discharged from inside his backpack,
critically injuring 8-year-old Amina Kocer-Bowman.
Authorities believe he got the weapon during a visit with his mother.

April 19, 2011: A 6-year-old boy accidentally fired a gun inside Ross Elementary School
in Houston, Texas, injuring himself and two other children.
The boy and his mother were staying at the home of Wrolandrea Hensley, 30,
who had hidden the gun under a futon cushion.
The boy found the gun on the floor.
Hensley was charged with making a firearm accessible to a child.

March 25, 2011: Michael Phelps, 15, shot another student at
Martinsville West Middle School in Martinsville, Ind.
Phelps had stolen the 9mm handgun from a family friend's home.
<snip>
The article goes on with school shootings in 2006 and 2005.

ZenGum 03-01-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 798829)
You know, the other thing I think about with this issue is that more teenagers are killed or seriously and sometimes permanently injured playing rugby or footy than with guns.

Kids are violent.

They learn it from us grown ups.

FIFY.

Then we let them drive cars. It's a wonder we're not extinct.

classicman 03-01-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 798832)
Can you please identify the responsible party in this case.

I'll start with whichever adult allowed a child access to a loaded weapon or a weapon and ammo.

Or were you assuming the gun went to the store, bought ammunition,
loaded itself, jumped into the student's backpack and then fired a round by itself?

sexobon 03-01-2012 08:17 PM

In addition to the charges brought against the boy, the boy's mother would seem to be culpable of reckless endangerment for not securing the firearm (there's nothing about the boy trespassing in the mother's home to get it). The firearm can be configured for safe carry in the backpack even under the conditions of the pack being slammed down; so, it was a matter of human negligence that the firearm was either left "cocked and with the safety off" by the mother; or, configured that way by the boy. That was neither a safe configuration for firearm storage nor any manner of carry. The safety should not be off until one is ready to pull the trigger. For backpack carry, there shouldn't have been a round in the chamber either.

The boy claimed he was going to run away. A similar situation could have developed if his mother had recklessly left her car keys in her car and the boy got in and drove away then hit someone because he didn't know how to properly control the vehicle.

classicman 03-01-2012 08:21 PM

People don't kill people, cars do!

Big Sarge 03-01-2012 10:13 PM

That's another sign of the times. We no longer teach kids safe & proper gun handling. Ya'll have seen pics of my 4 year old shooting. We've taught the kids they can look at or handle any weapon in our home as long as they ask first & we go thru the proper clearing procedures. This way the guns aren't a mystery or forbidden fruit. They learn they are a tool that has to be treated the same way as my chainsaw, circular saw, etc.

BTW, my 28 year old still comments on his first gun lesson. I took him out and shot a cantaloupe. I told him that is what would happen to his head if he messed with a loaded gun. Funny the things that stick in their minds

BigV 03-01-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 798853)
I'll start with whichever adult allowed a child access to a loaded weapon or a weapon and ammo.

Or were you assuming the gun went to the store, bought ammunition,
loaded itself, jumped into the student's backpack and then fired a round by itself?

The boy is responsible. He's 9.

That's the law in Washington. The mom's not responsible, nobody else. He's being charged.

Who *should* be responsible, tha's a different conversation.

classicman 03-01-2012 11:49 PM

Oh, well its Washington ... you should have said that.
Ya know what they say about peeps in Washington, right ;)

BigV 03-02-2012 12:01 AM

Don't mess with nine year olds.

classicman 03-02-2012 12:05 AM

OK, on a more serious note, you stated "in your opinion."

After reading the article I took this out...

Quote:

the boy said
he got the gun from his mother's house
, and brought it to school because he planned to run away.

"I just want everyone to know that
my kid made a mistake." the boy's father said.

If the bail is met,
the boy would be released to his uncle, who is his legal guardian

and who also sat by his side in the courthouse.
Huh??? Gotta be more to that part of this story.

ALets look into this some more ...
Quote:

the boy got the gun from the glovebox of his mother's boyfriend's car.
Quote:

The boy's mother and father relinquished custody of their son,
and his uncle is now his legal guardian.
Quote:

At a court hearing Thursday, Kitsap County officials said
the boy's parents had extensive criminal records.

Court documents show [the mother] has been in and out of the court system//
//she was arrested for possession of meth
She also was convicted of marijuana delivery and forgery.

[the father] has been convicted multiple times for violating protection orders regarding [the mother]

[the father]said the gun belongs to Chaffin's boyfriend and wants police to investigate her.

glatt 03-02-2012 07:32 AM

In third grade, I was in Tuscon AZ for a year. A kid in my class brought a handgun to school for show and tell. I'm a little hazy on the details, but I'm pretty sure the teacher held onto it for the boy for the day but let him hold it and show it in front of the class for show and tell. She didn't let him pass it around. And I think she asked him if it was loaded, and he said it wasn't, but I never saw her check for herself. That part of the memory is pretty foggy.

He had found it in the desert on the edge of town and had gone shooting with it. He told the story of when he shot a prickly pear cactus, and when he went to look at the bullet hole, he saw that he had killed a lizard or some other small animal that was behind the cactus.

This was 1976. Different times.

Spexxvet 03-02-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 798892)
OK, on a more serious note, you stated "in your opinion."

After reading the article I took this out...

Huh??? Gotta be more to that part of this story.

ALets look into this some more ...

Guns don't kill people, parents kill people

BigV 03-02-2012 12:08 PM

I think (in my opinion, hmm?) the law in Washington is not what it should be. I don't think a nine year old should be held responsible in this case, though that is how our laws are written. I believe the owner of the gun should be responsible. I'm all for personal responsibility and shit, and I don't know what kind of squawking the 2nd amendment fundies have made but there oughta be a law, y'know?

Otherwise, why not just have some little kid be your triggerman, be the babysitting bank robber or whatever. Who is the fucking adult in charge here? It had better not be a nine year old, running away from home who takes a gun cause he's scared.

infinite monkey 03-02-2012 12:10 PM

Guns don't kill people. People who rail about how guns don't kill people and how we need to educate kids about proper gun use but guns are lying around everywhere and for some reason the gun buddies don't actually get together and have this discussion so person number one has all their guns locked up so the kids can't get to them and decided kid number 1 didn't need the big gun talk yet because he couldn't access the gun closet but kid number 1 has a friend who is kid number 2 whose parents have educated about gun safety and therefore don't lock up their guns so kid number 1 and kid number 2 play together and gee whillickers why weren't all the parents doing what they were supposed to do to prevent kid number one from taking the really cool neato gun from kid number 2's house and shooting his sister like educating him and keeping guns locked up? Guns don't kill people. Idiots with guns do. Sometimes their offspring gets involved.

It's like when it comes to guns the whole world all of a sudden believes that all parents are good and smart and attentive and etc and so on...poppycock. That's an awful big fantasy world you create (and even suspension of disbelief doesn't help here) for the "right" to wave a big old piece of stupid metal around.

lookout in 5, 4, 3, 2...

classicman 03-02-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Who is the fucking adult in charge here?
Thats the question I was trying to answer as well.
Legally, it is the uncle. However, I don't see how he should be held responsible for this.
IMO, the mom's boyfriend should be in serious shit for having a loaded firearm in the glove box of his car.
I wonder how the boy knew it was there and how he got access to it.
Was the frikkin car also unlocked???
A whole lotta WTF going on here.

BigV 03-02-2012 12:18 PM

yeah sarcasm and all... whatever.

this is obviously vastly more serious than sticks and stones, right? It is clearly an accident, and a terrible one, but a preventable one. The greatest mistake was made by the gun owner, but there is no criminal penalty for the gun owner's mistake. THAT is the part I'm complaining about.

Parents, imperfect parents, I'm not just a customer, I'm the fucking leader of the pack. I get that. Big, avoidable mistakes ... shit.

It's the parent/adult in charge/gun owner's mistake. But it is the two kids that are paying the price. That's wrong.

BigV 03-02-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 798978)
Thats the question I was trying to answer as well.
Legally, it is the uncle. However, I don't see how he should be held responsible for this.
IMO, the mom's boyfriend should be in serious shit for having a loaded firearm in the glove box of his car.
Was the frikkin car also unlocked???
A whole lotta WTF going on here.

It isnt the uncle. that's what I'm trying to explain here. the uncle is NOT LEGALLY responsible for shit here.

infinite monkey 03-02-2012 12:22 PM

Sarcasm? I assure you I wasn't being even slightly sarcastic.

Now git up thar on your little doggie and ride off into the sunset, pardner.

See, that was sarcasm.

I don't follow the fallback (finger in dimples) "oh gee I'm such an imperfect parent...chuckle I'm such a human being" excuse when it comes to kids getting their hands on firearms. Fuck that. You'd walk across fire to save your kid but you won't give up your fucking gun or be more "perfect" about it. (By 'you' I mean the general 'you')

Simple really.

BigV 03-02-2012 12:30 PM

Well, I didn't choose the quote button for your post, infinite monkey, but I'm sure I read a sentence in the post of your that said something to the effect of "lock up your sticks and stones". That was the sarcasm I was referring to. Perhaps you edited it out, perhaps I'm imagining it. Upon rereading your post now, there doesn't seem to be anything sarcastic about it.

I am not up in arms over your remarks, I am deeply saddened about this story in my area. I'm also very upset that our law is written the way it's written. Even if a civil suit is brought successfully against the mom/boyfriend/uncle whomever, I don't think that's enough of an incentive to strongly motivate people who own firearms to take reasonable precautions to keep them safe.

infinite monkey 03-02-2012 12:37 PM

I understand. I don't agree with the law either. I think I was using the thread as a rant area. (Clear the Rant Area...INCOMING.)

I did have a line about sticks and rocks but I edited it out: it was from an old conversation I had with my ex after Columbine and it didn't really fit here.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. It's very sad. Violence makes me very sad, intended or not. I can't even watch my local news anymore.

Spexxvet 03-02-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 798814)
Why are we blaming guns for this? When I grew up I carried a pocket knife at school and usually had a gun in the rack of my pick up. We often hunted just before or after school. We never had these problems until about 15 years ago.

Because if the kid had only had a knife, or bat, or circular saw, or fist, the damage would have been less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 798978)

My guess is that the criminal mother's boyfriend took it out and showed it to him, maybe as a threat, or maybe to show the kid how "cool" he is, cause all the cool kids pack heat. Maybe he showed it to him because his dick is small.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 798984)
It isnt the uncle. that's what I'm trying to explain here. the uncle is NOT LEGALLY responsible for shit here.

I'll bet he is. I don't know that I agree with it, but he IS the kid's legal guardian.

Lamplighter 03-02-2012 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Classic jibes with: Cars kill people

No...
Cars are operated to transport people, sometimes people are killed or only hurt.
Guns are operated to kill people, sometimes people are only wounded.

Trying to figure out who is responsible is very close to blaming the rape victim for being raped.

The NRA, with Grover Norquist and the other Board Members, are responsible by politically stopping
any reasonable and effective legislation to deal with our society's ability to control guns.
Likewise, the people who support the NRA are only slightly less responsible.

If you love the idea of hunting, but blindly accept the consequences
of the NRA's position, some independent thought might helpful.

classicman 03-02-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Guns are operated to kill people, sometimes people are only wounded.
Guns are operated to shoot targets, VERY RARELY people are killed or only hurt.

How many people are killed or hurt by cars vs. guns?

Spexxvet 03-02-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 799038)
Guns are operated to shoot targets

I think that's disingenuous.

classicman 03-02-2012 02:10 PM

No more than "Guns are operated to kill people"

Guns are operated to provide food.
That better? If not, I can add to the list.

classicman 03-02-2012 02:12 PM

I am a gun owner. I do not belong to the NRA.
I use them almost exclusively to shoot at targets.
I have not killed anything with any of my guns in years.
I did not keep the guns in my home when my children were young.
I educated my sons (daughter not interested) about them.

infinite monkey 03-02-2012 02:13 PM

That's a lovely pome.

Spexxvet 03-02-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 799048)
No more than "Guns are operated to kill people"

Guns are operated to provide food.
That better?

Yes

classicman 03-02-2012 02:51 PM

great, now ...

Big Sarge 03-02-2012 03:16 PM

I can atest to using guns for food. Many nights my protein comes from what I have hunted. Plus I think it is far more humane for the animal than the slaughterhouse route.

Lamplighter 03-02-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 799062)
great, now ...

What is the point of such a question ?
How about airplanes and swimming pools ?
But if you must...

How many laws are there about the safety and operations of cars vs. guns ?

These are the points of my arguments:
- cars are pretty close to being a necessity in our society, guns are not
- cars have laws written about their safety and operations, guns do not
- cars require a driver's license to be operated legally, guns do not

Now ask yourself why do we have more effective legislation for cars, but not for guns.

My answer is there is a hysteria over guns in the US, that has been
created and promoted by the NRA via Grover Norquist and fellow Board members.

As such, those who support the NRA positions on gun control
also share the responsibility for all it's consequences.

lookout123 03-02-2012 05:29 PM

You're assuming we all agree that more legislation in regards to cars, pools, airplanes, and just about any damn thing is a good thing.

I've got guns. My kids know I've got guns. My kids know not to touch my guns but I still keep them secured when I'm not carrying them because kids are people and people do dumb shit. If my kid gets his hands on my gun and hurts or kills someone, I will be responsible for that. Morally, criminally, and financially. I'm fine with that.

xoxoxoBruce 03-02-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 799091)
These are the points of my arguments:
- cars are pretty close to being a necessity in our society, guns are not
- cars have laws written about their safety and operations, guns do not
- cars require a driver's license to be operated legally, guns do not

-I don't need a lawnmower, you shouldn't be allowed to have one.
-There's a shitload of laws on safety (manufacture/sale) and operation (use) of guns.
Quote:

Now ask yourself why do we have more effective legislation for cars, but not for guns.
The difference is not in legislation, but enforcement, so why is that?
-Cars are an order of magnitude bigger threat to the public.
-Revenue potential in the enforcement of car laws... much, much higher.

According to Sarah Brady, the Brady bill stopped 23,000 felons from buying handguns in the first month. I don't have the figures but I'm sure the total is in the hundreds of thousands to date. The Brady bill makes it a federal felony to attempt to buy a gun, if you aren't eligible. So how come of those hundreds of thousands of people that have blocked, not one has been procecuted... not one. Because there's no revenue to be made?

Quote:

My answer is there is a hysteria over guns in the US, that has been
created and promoted by the NRA via Grover Norquist and fellow Board members.
Oh there's a hysteria all right, you can see it in your mirror.
The hysteria of anti-gun zealots proclaiming guns to be the equivalent of the Black Plague/cancer/halitosis combined.
While gun owners are merely stalwart. :haha:

Seriously though, Norquist & company are using the contentious issue of guns as a political tool. More of the divide and conquer strategy, the us vs them, making as many single issue splinter groups as possible, so they can control the government.

And you're playing into it as much as NRA members, with...
Quote:

As such, those who support the NRA positions on gun control
also share the responsibility for all it's consequences.
Yeah well take that back or I'll shoot you. :p: You see the problem with your manifesto, is you're holding every NRA member personally responsible for that kid killing his tormentors. C'mon, that's so irrational nobody will take you seriously but the choir.

Kids have been killing kids forever. He could have run them down with a stolen car, and you're sadly mistaken if you think one person can't kill two with a knife, in a surprise attack.

Finally, all the laws in the world won't stop the urban gang-bangers, they don't have a lot of concern for rules. They are already breaking the law by possessing and carrying, before they ever use it.

Now I agree there are many people acting irresponsibly. They carelessly allow access to guns by people that shouldn't. They also burn down buildings, leave pets & children in hot cars, OD on their prescriptions, and text while driving. You can't keep people from being stupid by legislation.

Aliantha 03-02-2012 08:14 PM

Yes, but natural selection is obviously not working.

I think Darwin's theory is wrong.

xoxoxoBruce 03-02-2012 08:24 PM

Maybe natural selection can be overwhelmed by overbreeding. Or we have too many laws protecting fools from themselves already.

Lamplighter 03-22-2012 09:16 AM

Trayvon Martin

Go, go, go NRA

Stormieweather 03-22-2012 09:30 AM

"Justified" homicides have tripled in Florida since the 'stand your ground' law went into effect.

Just think...without that law, many of those people might still be alive.

I am not anti-gun. I know how to shoot and we have a gun at home (safely stored). I am anti-allowing idiots to have dead-making capabilities.

infinite monkey 03-22-2012 09:34 AM

The problem is the idiots don't just shoot each other. Let the idiots kill the hell out of each other. hell, I'd sell tickets.

It's us innocent bystanders who pay the cost for their ego-boosts. Can't they just masturbate or something?

Fuckers.

wolf 03-22-2012 10:27 AM

"Stand Your Ground" does not mean "Give Chase." The articles I've read seem to indicate that Zimmerman followed Martin, but a lot of what happened is unclear, although Zimmerman did look beaten up when the cops got there.

What I haven't seen is a map showing the convenience store and the locations of Martin's and Zimmerman's homes. May or not make a difference in an understanding of what happened.

I heard the 911 tape on the radio yesterday, want to listen to it again.

xoxoxoBruce 03-22-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 802913)
Trayvon Martin

Go, go, go NRA

Abortions increase.

Go, go, go, Democrats.

footfootfoot 03-22-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 799127)
You can't keep people from being stupid by legislation.

How about if we made being stupid a felony, or is that just a stupid idea?

xoxoxoBruce 03-22-2012 02:40 PM

The cost of prisons would bankrupt the few taxpayers left.

Happy Monkey 03-22-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 802969)
Abortions increase.

Do they? I think they're at record lows. But the latest data I could find was from 2008, so that may have changed.

sexobon 03-22-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 802913)
Trayvon Martin

Go, go, go NRA

Oregon Sets Assisted Suicide Record

Go, go, go Oregonians

Lamplighter 03-22-2012 06:02 PM

;) Yes, we don't have to eat a gun here in Oregon.
You can go to Georgia for that.

infinite monkey 03-22-2012 06:06 PM

And circle gets the square!

classicman 03-22-2012 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

sexobon 03-22-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 803028)
;) Yes, we don't have to eat a gun here in Oregon.
You can go to Georgia for that.

It seems that killings are just fine when suits YOUR purpose, only instead of enabling armed citizens to kill in the name of security, you enable doctors to kill in the name of convenience! Barbarian, hypocrite, and as an Oregonian ... ACCOMPLICE!

Happy Monkey 03-22-2012 06:45 PM

Trayvon Martin didn't ask to be "secured".

sexobon 03-22-2012 07:01 PM

Perhaps if he had, he'd still be alive just like the person who claims to have secured himself from him. Duh.

Lamplighter 03-22-2012 07:16 PM

Classic, shall we start a "dueling headlines" ... go get the guitar

I don't know about every "yesterday", but last March 14th....

3-year-old kills self with gun in car in Washington
ASSOCIATED PRESS March 14, 2012
Anytime you want an update, just search Google News for "child killed gun"

And then today, there is this...

Lake Stevens Journal
Alison Dempsey-Hall
Mar 22, 2012

In light of recent child gun accidents, awareness raised
for need of Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program

Quote:

In the past few weeks, three children in Washington state have been shot
— two of them killed — because the owners of guns didn't lock them up tight.
So, who does the politicians call for help
... none other than ......(wait for it)............ the NRA !
Quote:

The National Rifle Association, education professionals,
urban housing safety officials, clinical psychologists, and law enforcement
developed the Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program to teach children
in prekindergarten through third grade how to stay safe if they encounter a gun.

Since the Gun Safety program began in 1988, it has reached
more than twenty-one million children, in all fifty states.
<snip>
WOW ! 21,000,000 children in all 50 states
- somehow Eddy Eagle is not working for 3 year olds.

Lamplighter 03-22-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 803039)
It seems that killings are just fine when suits YOUR purpose,
only instead of enabling armed citizens to kill in the name of security,
you enable doctors to kill in the name of convenience! Barbarian,
hypocrite, and as an Oregonian ... ACCOMPLICE!

Ouch ! such name-calling :eek:

Call me when you, or someone close to you, is terminallly ill.
Oh wait, I probably won't be around then.

Take a few minutes to read our law (ORS 127.865 (2)).
You just might want to come to Oregon or Washington.
... and until, then as Reagan said, I won't hold your youth against you. ;)

wolf 03-22-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 803052)

Stop. Don't Touch. Get an adult.

Pretty straightforward, even for the average 3 year old.

Eddie Eagle is a very basic firearms safety program.

Locking up a gun doesn't make it safer. Learning to respect one does.

Around 75 children under 5 die in firearms related incidents.

350 children under 5 drowned in bathtubs, pools, hottubs, and other water sources in the home.

How's that campaign to ban water going?

sexobon 03-22-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 803060)
Ouch ! such name-calling :eek:

Call me when you, or someone close to you, is terminallly ill.
Oh wait, I probably won't be around then.

Take a few minutes to read our law (ORS 127.865 (2)).
You just might want to come to Oregon or Washington.
... and until, then as Reagan said, I won't hold your youth against you. ;)

You old people are so funny! :lol:

Actually, my Spec. Ops. medical training included euthanasia. When operating in denied areas, situations can occur in which someone becomes mortally wounded; but, can neither be taken with the rest nor left behind without risking compromising the mission (that many other lives may depend on) if the mortally wounded lives long enough to be captured and interrogated.

You've probably heard the saying: "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." If you've forgotten what it means, that's OK, I won't hold your advanced years against you. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------

"But think of the children." - The last refuge of a hypocrite.

regular.joe 03-22-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 803052)
Classic, shall we start a "dueling headlines" ... go get the guitar

I don't know about every "yesterday", but last March 14th....

3-year-old kills self with gun in car in Washington
ASSOCIATED PRESS March 14, 2012
Anytime you want an update, just search Google News for "child killed gun"

And then today, there is this...

Lake Stevens Journal
Alison Dempsey-Hall
Mar 22, 2012

In light of recent child gun accidents, awareness raised
for need of Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program

So, who does the politicians call for help
... none other than ......(wait for it)............ the NRA !

WOW ! 21,000,000 children in all 50 states

Were any of the owners of the guns that killed these kids members of the NRA?

Lamplighter 03-22-2012 10:11 PM

What's with all these diversions... abortions, assisted suicides, drownings ?

Dwellars are bright enough to know none of these have anything to do with guns killing people.
Abortions might be brought to zero
Assisted suicides might be brought to zero
Drownings might be brought to zero
... and guns would still be killing people just the same

If you know this is happening, what do you propose ?

Lamplighter 03-22-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regular.joe (Post 803099)
Were any of the owners of the guns that killed these kids members of the NRA?

One was the daughter of a police officer.
I don't know if he was a member of the NRA.

ETA: He was one of two gun owners that had CCL's

sexobon 03-22-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 803100)
What's with all these diversions... abortions, assisted suicides, drownings ?

Dwellars are bright enough to know none of these have anything to do with guns killing people.
... and guns would still be killing people just the same

A reasonable extension of your rhetoric would have been:

Shootings might be brought to zero

Then you could have asked for proposals on how to accomplish it; but, you didn't. Instead you went off with language that irrationally attributes actions to man made objects that aren't capable of acting on their own.

Where others see analogies, you see diversions: that's because you're set on one course of action that you see as a panacea while others see it as a placebo. You can't get rid of all guns any more than you can get rid of everything people can drown in, that people can use to commit suicide; or, ways people can perform an abortion.

You exhibit the same kind of mindset that causes me to think of some people as gun fanatics, in your case an antigun fanatic. There's no real room for discussion with those in either group. You've convinced me that your question was rhetorical.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 803100)
If you know this is happening, what do you propose ?