The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2/15/2005: Breastfeeding natural in Venezuela (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7761)

richlevy 02-15-2005 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
Because you just don't see it enough, right? If it were a common sight I doubt you'd give it a second thought.

Are you proposing an experiment? :blush:

Trilby 02-15-2005 07:54 PM

I think it is possible to breastfeed in public and be so discreet that no one really notices. Obviously, discretion is not something this woman was going for.

Kitsune 02-15-2005 08:48 PM

I think it is possible to breastfeed in public and be so discreet that no one really notices.

Well, there is certainly a way to do it that make cause no one to care: feed the kid some formula from a bottle. Whatever happened to that method?

I think women should have the right to breastfeed in public, but I think its rude to do so. Just like other natural acts we humans have to do (breastfeeding, changing diapers, talking on the cellphone, having sex) I feel it should be handled in the bathroom instead of a public environment.

Interesting thought: is breast milk considered a potential biological contaminant? It is a fluid secretion from the body....

Happy Monkey 02-15-2005 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsune
Interesting thought: is breast milk considered a potential biological contaminant? It is a fluid secretion from the body....

So's sweat.

jinx 02-15-2005 10:08 PM

Quote:

Well, there is certainly a way to do it that make cause no one to care: feed the kid some formula from a bottle. Whatever happened to that method?

Formula is a substitute for breastmilk, not the other way around, and there are risks involved with using it. Suggesting women should buy and use a product (that has risks involved with using it) because you have a boob hang-up is ridiculous. Just don't look. Shield your eyes, run screaming from the room... whatever you gotta do it's probably safe and free.

World Health Organization recommends

Quote:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="440"> <tbody><tr><td class="header10" valign="top" width="100%">Exclusive Breastfeeding </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="10" valign="top" width="100%">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="text" valign="top" width="100%"> Breastfeeding is an unequalled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants; it is also an integral part of the reproductive process with important implications for the health of mothers. A recent review of evidence has shown that, on a population basis, exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months is the optimal way of feeding infants. Thereafter infants should receive complementary foods with continued breastfeeding up to 2 years of age or beyond.

To enable mothers to establish and sustain exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months, WHO and UNICEF recommend:

• Initiation of breastfeeding within the first hour of life
  • Exclusive breastfeeding – that is the infant only receives breastmilk without any additional food or drink, not even water
  • Breastfeeding on demand – that is as often as the child wants, day and night
  • No use of bottles, teats or pacifiers
Breastmilk is the natural first food for babies, it provides all the energy and nutrients that the infant needs for the first months of life, and it continues to provide up to half or more of a child’s nutritional needs during the second half of the first year, and up to one-third during the second year of life.

Breastmilk promotes sensory and cognitive development, and protects the infant against infectious and chronic diseases. Exclusive breastfeeding reduces infant mortality due to common childhood illnesses such as diarrhoea or pneumonia, and helps for a quicker recovery during illness. These effects can be measured in resource-poor and affluent societies (Kramer M et al Promotion of Breastfeeding Intervention Trial (PROBIT): A randomized trial in the Republic of Belarus. Journal of the American Medical Association, 2001, 285 (4): 413-420)

Breastfeeding contributes to the health and well-being of mothers, it helps to space children, reduces the risk of ovarian cancer and breast cancer, increases family and national resources, is a secure way of feeding and is safe for the environment.

</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Elspode 02-15-2005 11:09 PM

Quote:

Just like other natural acts we humans have to do (breastfeeding, changing diapers, talking on the cellphone, having sex) I feel it should be handled in the bathroom instead of a public environment.

You know, I was just thinking that I didn't get enough sex in the bathroom...

xoxoxoBruce 02-16-2005 03:57 AM

There's a large group that supports women breast feeding in public. It's called
men. :)

Griff 02-16-2005 06:28 AM

I was gonna rant on this but jinx took care of pretty much all the arguments. :thumbsup: I think this impulse to hide the real function of breasts is probably some remnant of the a middle-class 50's hide your woman in the house, better living through chemistry, culture. Thats over now, move on. Breast milk is more available, cheaper, easier to digest, and designed by (evolution) (God) whatever to provide everything your baby needs (and it takes the baby weight off!). Of course these are just the thoughts of someone who was raised in a conservative Catholic household and was breastfed in church every Sunday as a baby. :eyebrow: I'm still waiting for someone to photo shop W into that picture.

404Error 02-16-2005 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about LJ instead. :p

(Sorry, quick and crude job but you get the picture.)

garnet 02-16-2005 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 404Error
How about LJ instead.

That's hilarious! Good job! :thumbsup:

dar512 02-16-2005 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
So's sweat.

Breast milk is sweat -- of a sort. Breasts are a variety of sweat gland.

*trivia man strikes again*

dar512 02-16-2005 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisinhouston
What's with the baby's shoes?

Kids take them off. Parents have to keep track of them. It's a time-honored tradition.

elf 02-16-2005 11:54 AM

I agree and disagree here. Yes, discression is called for - mostly because here in the US, breasts are considered sexual. This does not mean, however, that breastfeeding should be hidden or shoved off into the restroom. There's absolutely nothing sexual about it whatsoever, aside from people seeing a boob and thinking, 'ooh! Sex!' (which is the biggest reason it makes so many people uncomfortable, I think)

Discression is as easy as a little baby blanket thrown over the shoulder, a shawl, a wide scarf, or shirts that are made with vents in them so as not to be hanging out all over or drawing attention to yourself. I nursed my babies just about wherever I went. I don't think many people ever noticed, much less became uncomfortable around me.

Elspode 02-16-2005 12:25 PM

Drat...I can't post my response to all of this because of the 'net nanny. It is hard to discuss this topic while under the Big Brother scanner.

CharlieG 02-16-2005 01:03 PM

RE vented shirts - that's what my wife used. It was funny, the other week I was having a conversation with someone, and didn't even realize she was breast feeding her baby until the kid stopped. It can be VERY descrete. I thought the kid was just snuggled up.

Anyway - totally natural, and doesn't bother me - I end up looking at the kid more than the teat