The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Big Bang (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34712)

sexobon 12-10-2019 05:48 PM

Oh hey, there's some good jokes in that statement ...

… Wait a moment, I think I've got one …

… Yes, here it is:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1042877)
The empty space outside the universe is the same place my consciousness was before I was born.

No dear, the only empty space to contain your consciousness is right where it's always been...between your ears.

*takes a bow*

lumberjim 12-10-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1042877)
The empty space outside the universe is the same place my consciousness was before I was born.

truth.

a thought, or collection of thoughts... a consciousness, requires no space, and yet they exist. If you think a lot of thoughts all at once, your head doesn't swell up or feel tight. if you empty your mind, it doesn't create vacuum.

The universe exists within the framework of a concept. We have no way of determining what that is comprised of, just the theoretical knowledge that it must exist in order to move out of the way of the universe as it expands. And will fall back in behind it when it eventually retracts.

Beestie 12-10-2019 07:03 PM

I thought inflation was a theory just to explain how the universe is bigger that than light can travel over the age of the universe.

The idea that space itself can expand/that two things that aren't moving are actually getting farther apart is tricky because there is energy in "empty space" so inflation is basically suggesting that energy *can* be created which we all know isn't true. So there are some loose ends but it does explain some stuff.

sexobon 12-10-2019 07:18 PM

Well, I heard the edge of the universe is an enveloping wormhole that funnels the universe back into the center of itself. That's why the universe is perpetually expanding and accelerating and will never retract. When all of the universe has been funneled back to its center, the wormhole will release it and there'll be another big bang.

Where do you people get those fairy tales about there being space outside the universe and the universe retracting?

lumberjim 12-10-2019 07:20 PM

there is energy in empty space, but that's not space. The concept is that the whole of the universe was contained in the singularity before the bang, and it's just dissipating. getting farther apart and less dense as it does. no energy being created or destroyed, just diluted. the existence and retraction of the emptiness beyond the border of that expansion is what bends my brain.

lumberjim 12-10-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1042885)
Well, I heard the edge of the universe is an enveloping wormhole that funnels the universe back into the center of itself. That's why the universe is perpetually expanding and accelerating and will never retract. When all of the universe has been funneled back to its center, the wormhole will release it and there'll be another big bang.

Where do you people get those fairy tales about there being space outside the universe and the universe retracting?

look man, we're all high and talking about deep stuff here. stop harshing my mellow.

Gravdigr 12-10-2019 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ran across this a few years ago:

Attachment 69266

Rhianne 12-11-2019 04:34 AM

There is, in fact, a hole in the universe.

It's all explained simply here:

Gravdigr 12-11-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianne (Post 1042902)
There is, in fact, a hole in the universe.

That's gonna make the song a lot longer.:lol2:

Flint 12-11-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1042885)
Well, I heard the edge of the universe is an enveloping wormhole that funnels the universe back into the center of itself.

I just thought of this when I read this post. Similar but different.

I recently read that the space is curved, e.g. parallel lines will eventually meet. And that e v e n t u a l l y if you followed the curve it would wrap back around. It turns out that we might not have to define an outer limit of space, it may be entirely self-contained and infinitely circular.