The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   A New Laptop (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33005)

Gravdigr 09-03-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 995171)
How do you resize a picture so you can post it on the cellar? I can make it physically smaller in paint but I can not make the KB size any smaller.

Maybe you're saving the resized pic at a higher-than-the-original resolution?

Ensmalling a pic usually results in some reduction of file size, I'm not sure what might be going on there.

sexobon 09-03-2017 03:44 PM

Paint reduces the file size in KB when the dimensions are reduced. The new file size doesn't show up in the image's properties displayed in Paint until after you've saved the image.

Instead of clicking on SAVE though, click on SAVE AS and add something to the file name (e.g. Name > Name 2), then you can check the file size of the new saved image and if it isn't sufficiently reduced; or, it became too small, you still have the original from which to try again so you don't get image degradation.

fargon 09-03-2017 07:59 PM

Thank you Sexobon. That's exactly what we did.

Bitman 09-04-2017 04:40 AM

Rumor has it you should shop the Corporate side of whichever computer co you choose, not the Consumer side. Prices are still reasonable, but they're (supposedly) built to a higher standard.

Don't forget to shop used, especially if shopping for corporate laptops.

Definitely ensure you get enough RAM. It's less of a problem now than in the past, but still keep an eye on that. Also definitely get an SSD. Most new laptops include one, but that's another spec to keep an eye on.

Are you switching to Windows or to a hackintosh? If Windows, are you familiar with Windows? You'll just be swapping one set of problems for another.

Re. Lenovo: My main laptop is a Lenovo Y500. The power management software burned out the motherboard once, but a replacement out of China was reasonably priced, and it's been outstanding ever since, especially after being fully upgraded, and it even supports dual GPU.

glatt 09-04-2017 06:06 AM

I've bought used corporate Dells that were 2-3 years old after the lease expired. I have had outstanding experience doing that. Dell had (and may still have) a store on eBay where they sell these things. You have to research processors and soon understand what type of equipment is coming off lease today and is available for sale. I always buy the best they have to offer on the used market. Those machines at 3 years old have more processing power than a new consumer level machine advertised in the Sunday circulars today. Big problem those is they have no software. Only the OS. So you have to get all the software and load it yourself. It's a lot of work. But you end up with a very good laptop. Just sent my daughter off to college with one of these, and it must be 5-6 years old at this point. Works perfectly. You may be able to find ones that are running Windows 7 Pro.

You'll have no support if you go this route. So I can't recommend it. But I have had great luck.

fargon 09-04-2017 06:25 AM

Thank you for all of your help. It works as advertised, my mac went to a good home and got a new O/S in the process. The guy that got it doesn't do any thing with pictures so it's golden.