The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   June 30, 2010: Bike Lane (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23044)

Griff 06-30-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 667562)
Great idea. :thumbsup:
Especially if bikers are required to stick to roads where there's 3 feet to give.

That is a real problem in no shoulder PA. Maybe cars should stick to roads with 10' to give. :)

jinx 06-30-2010 10:14 AM

Yeah, that'd be great, then I could kayak down the storm drains like I've always wanted...

Griff 06-30-2010 10:22 AM

See, everybody wins... most everybody... well a couple people.

The cultural aspect of this is interesting. I remember riding in Ireland and how careful the cars were around cyclists. We got razzed by German cyclists for our helmets and mirrors, items we need in the States because we will get driven off the road or hit with a beer bottle or slapped in the back of the head.

jinx 06-30-2010 10:34 AM

People are insane. I drive around in a tank and other drivers make me cringe, I'd be terrified on a bike.
There's this long passing zone on my usual commute, excellent opportunity to go around the many people who like to drive that road 15mph under the speed limit. BUT, people don't like to be passed there for some reason. I often have people try to race, put their high beams on after they've been passed - and not that long ago I had someone swerve at me when I was next to them. Jim happened to be following me home that night.... followed that guy to a shopping center and had words...

Griff 06-30-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 667574)
People are insane.

Truly.

Lamplighter 06-30-2010 10:45 AM

Here in Oregon, cyclists have been politically active and laws were passed giving them protection and "rights" on the roads. Some cyclists have become very "assertive". Drivers are noticing these changes and some are responding poorly.

Portland has had several deaths and so is experimenting with various bike-only routes and bike lanes, especially at intersections where vehicles make turns. The problem is that no matter who has the "right of way", the car always wins.

lumberjim 06-30-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 667574)
followed that guy to a shopping center and had words...

chicken shit wouldn't stop his car.... his white chrysler cirrus that if i ever see again......

:mad2:

edit.... wouldn't get out of his car....

I pulled along side him at a light, and MFed him..... then i followed him around some more until i could see him calling someone on his cell phone.....

i was driving a demo, so i decided to let it go.....

Happy Monkey 06-30-2010 11:14 AM

Gah, I was in a long line of cars behind one driver who refused to pass a bicycle on my way to work today.

monster 06-30-2010 11:41 AM

Lanes are very narrow in the UK ....mind, so are the cars. A Focus is an average-sized car.

(No points to anyone "fixing" lanes to minds in the above statement).

It's been 10 years since I lived in the UK, but I don't remember markings like that being slippy and was suprised here when they were, so I'm guessing they'd be fine. The painted disabled parking spots at my kids' school are like ice rinks. It's insane.

Yes, whole diffeent attitude to cyclist in Europe. And from cyclists. And the roads are more cyclist-friendly -no huge earthquake-like cracks and crater potholes -but that may just be Michigan

glatt 06-30-2010 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They have just added a bunch of bike lanes in DC too. DC is fairly bike friendly, for a US city. It's still dangerous, but it's much better than most.

When cyclists are killed, it actually makes the news and people care. Some mysterious person (or persons) puts up memorials every time a cyclist is killed. And if the city removes them, they put another up in the same spot until the city gives up.

This one memorializes a woman run over by a national guard truck a couple blocks from my office this Spring.

HungLikeJesus 06-30-2010 01:02 PM

Those are the ghost bikes, I think.

xoxoxoBruce 06-30-2010 11:34 PM

In Philly, a guy on a bicycle killed a pedestrian, a short time ago.:(

HungLikeJesus 06-30-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 667613)
Those are the ghost bikes, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_bike

ToastyOhs 07-05-2010 10:34 AM

I like to ride. Where I am in Maine you have to ride aggressively or people will not respect your space. We have laws, and "Share the Road" bumper stickers, but people driving a cars seem to instinctively hate cyclists. The last time most of them rode a bike, it had a banana seat and sure as heck didn't go 30 mph.

Also - Sidewalks are for pedestrians and dogs, not bicycles.

Lamplighter 07-05-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToastyOhs (Post 668784)
I like to ride. Where I am in Maine you have to ride aggressively or people will not respect your space. We have laws, and "Share the Road" bumper stickers, but people driving a cars seem to instinctively hate cyclists. The last time most of them rode a bike, it had a banana seat and sure as heck didn't go 30 mph.

Also - Sidewalks are for pedestrians and dogs, not bicycles.

Sorry, but maybe that is part of the problem...