The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Aug 14, 2009: Boeing's Grifftopia (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20845)

Shawnee123 08-14-2009 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had that 45 when I was a kid. My grandma and I sang it together. The beauty of it was that when you were young, you thought about how it sounded vs how it was spelled. Actually kind of brilliant. I think it was my induction to listening to the subtleties of the English language, because I could actually hear the difference between "Mairzy doats" and "Mares eat oats" when I parsed it out in my head.

Quote:

I know a ditty nutty as a fruitcake
Goofy as a goon and silly as a loon
Some call it pretty, others call it crazy
But they all sing this tune:

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
Yes! Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey

If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey
Sing "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy"

Oh! Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you-oo?
:)

eta: when I think about it my grandma played it on a big old record, on her console stereo she had. It looked a lot like this:

hulk 08-14-2009 10:37 PM

I thought I remembered reading that several communities were trying to use goats to keep the kudzu in check as well.

Kasszia 08-14-2009 11:05 PM

My goats love to eat everything! Including Kaluha, who decided to eat the shed one day...

Pie 08-14-2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hulk (Post 587960)
I thought I remembered reading that several communities were trying to use goats to keep the kudzu in check as well.

Sort of an "immovable-object-meets-irresistible-force" kinda-thing. I like!

xoxoxoBruce 08-14-2009 11:43 PM

I read some communities in CA were hiring goats to clear the flammable brush, especially on steep hillsides, around their homes. Partially because it's cheaper and more efficient, and partially to get around CA's laws.

SPUCK 08-15-2009 03:50 AM

Our local municipal reservoir can only use goats on the face of the dam because anything else can injure the face causing rapid erosion, followed by a burst dam, surging maelstrom, fleeing victims, etc., etc.

spudcon 08-15-2009 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 587976)
I read some communities in CA were hiring goats to clear the flammable brush, especially on steep hillsides, around their homes. Partially because it's cheaper and more efficient, and partially to get around CA's laws.

It's ok to let goats do that, because illegal aliens won't do that kind of work anyway.:2cents:

Griff 08-15-2009 07:58 AM

Looks like a great place to be a goat. Pete just put the big goats in our temporary electric between the house and a permanent enclosure. The little guys were in there all week but were too busy playing on the rock pile to decimate their surroundings.

xoxoxoBruce 08-15-2009 01:21 PM

Guess they weren't hungry enough, probably because to feed them too well. :haha:

Griff 08-15-2009 02:16 PM

Yeah, kids today...

dar512 08-15-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 588062)
Yeah, kids today...

:lol2:

You've been holding that back waiting for the perfect moment, haven't you.

TheMercenary 08-15-2009 04:03 PM

There is a goat farm at Ft. Bragg. Goats are good for lots of things.

Sundae 08-15-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 588062)
Yeah, kids today...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 588072)
You've been holding that back waiting for the perfect moment, haven't you.

I may have been years, butt it was worth it.

ZenGum 08-15-2009 07:33 PM

The police station at Bryon Bay, Australia, has a sheep in the yard as a lawn trimmer.

Its name? Bob.

Well, Ali might get it. For everyone else:

Pre-1966, Australia used non-decimal currency, including a shilling, which (a) had a picture of a merino sheep on one side and (b) was referred to as a "bob". There you go.

One night some rapscallion abducted Bob from his yard. The cheek! He was safely returned.

Then Bob grew old and passed away. His replacement?

Two Bob, of course.

Gravdigr 08-16-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 588074)
Goats are good for lots of things.

Yeah, if ya bugger 'em on the edge of a cliff, they push back...:sheep: