The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   I like beer more than I care about being fat... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16901)

glatt 03-27-2008 07:56 PM

Article in the paper this morning said that a new study found a very strong correlation between a fat belly at age 40 and dementia later in life. You are two times more likely to have Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia if you have a big gut in your 40's than if you don't. Overall fat, or fat in other areas of the body doesn't seem to matter here. It's just the big gut. [/wet blanket]

lumberjim 03-27-2008 08:32 PM

theyre coming to take me away!

Drax 03-27-2008 08:35 PM

Bullshit! It's just another scare tactic.

monster 03-27-2008 09:21 PM

So I'll get dementia. Not MY problem :D I think I'll use it as leverage on my kids.... behave or i'll drink another beer and be even more embarrassing when you have to look after me...

Drax, if your mom has to help you physically, then I'd say she's allowed to make comment on your weight. Other than that, find a store with online ordering and delivery ;)

Furthermore, the research is not bullshit, although it may be being used as part of a scare tactic. The correletion between belly-fat and dementia does not imply causality. It may be the belly fat causes dementia. It maybe that the first symptom of dementia is belly fat. It may be another disiease entirely which has both belly fat and dementia as symptoms. They may be completely unrelated. This research is in it's early days and discovering the relationship is merely the first step. But calling it bullshit because you don't like the potential implications is imbecilic

Cicero 03-27-2008 10:01 PM

Oh please...I'll be the first with dementia, and skinny as a rail. Thinking of the dementia wards I worked in...naaaaah! Did you know that the most mobile people that had there stuff together enough to walk around all smoked? Just noticed that..that's all....

Radar 03-27-2008 11:55 PM

It's not dementia....it's being drunk. :)

Cicero 03-28-2008 12:03 AM

I like beer more than I care that LJ and Radar are drunk. :)

Drax 03-28-2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 442074)
Drax, if your mom has to help you physically, then I'd say she's allowed to make comment on your weight.

I never said she had to help me physically.

Flint 03-28-2008 08:58 AM

Really? Because your mom helps me physically.

LabRat 03-28-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 442074)
~snip~ The correletion between belly-fat and dementia does not imply causality. ~snip~ This research is in it's early days and discovering the relationship is merely the first step.

The following is the abstract from a recent review on this very subject in January's issue of Nature Neuroscience Reviews:

Be smart, exercise your heart: exercise effects on brain and cognition.
Hillman CH, Erickson KI, Kramer AF.

Quote:

An emerging body of multidisciplinary literature has documented the beneficial influence of physical activity engendered through aerobic exercise on selective aspects of brain function. Human and non-human animal studies have shown that aerobic exercise can improve a number of aspects of cognition and performance. Lack of physical activity, particularly among children in the developed world, is one of the major causes of obesity. Exercise might not only help to improve their physical health, but might also improve their academic performance. This article examines the positive effects of aerobic physical activity on cognition and brain function, at the molecular, cellular, systems and behavioural levels. A growing number of studies support the idea that physical exercise is a lifestyle factor that might lead to increased physical and mental health throughout life.

monster 03-28-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drax (Post 442132)
I never said she had to help me physically.

That why I said IF, mushbrain

monster 03-28-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 442146)
Really? Because your mom helps me physically.

:lol:

Drax 03-28-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 442200)
That why I said IF, mushbrain

Ok :cool:, but the way that you said makes it seem like you think I'm completely helpless. IF that's not the case, then I apologize for my misunderstanding. Please forgive me, oh wise one. :p.

monster 03-28-2008 06:22 PM

Nope. Shan't. The way you read it maybe, but the way I said it was just fine and reinforced by the alternative I offered. So there.

Drax 03-28-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 442343)
Nope. Shan't.

BITCH!!!!