The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Weight-Loss Thread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10581)

seakdivers 04-25-2006 11:29 AM

Ok - I'm in.

I am trying to do a low carb kind of a thing. Nothing structured - just watching my caloric intake, and trying to steer away from sugar & bad carbs.

This is not an easy thing for a bread-a-holic like me!

Breakfast today: 2 scrambled eggs & 1 breakfast sausage.

lumberjim 04-25-2006 12:20 PM

well, i'm not scared of that.

i think my main problems are portion size, and timing.

LUNCH:
turkey reuben wrap(turkey, tortilla, slaw, 1000 island) 10 steak fries

too large a portion. damn tasty tho

Undertoad 04-25-2006 12:57 PM

Wrap: est. 12 points (tortilla 2, turkey 4, slaw 2, dressing 4)
Fries: est. 6 points

lunch = 18
total for day = 27

nothing to drink?

let me know when this is annoying

Munchkin 04-25-2006 01:02 PM

. noob here..

This is a good idea. I was a member of a martial arts forum, and often people would do this kind of thing in their journal. Which was of course great for accountability if you thougth people actually read your journal.

Mind if I join in? Accountability with me is a huge issue. I just bought this urban rebounder thing (basically a mini tramp with an excersize video) and while I promised myself to do it at LEAST 3 times a week, im not even doing that.

Recording that as well as my food intake may embarass me into being good:)

melidasaur 04-25-2006 03:13 PM

I love this thread idea! Thanks, Bri for getting the ball rolling! Like you, I did Atkins, did really well, went off, and all went to hell. It's too easy to get bored on it, but it worked for me. I need to find something else that works.

Breakfast:
Special K
Dannon light and fit strawberry yogurt

Lunch:
BLT - no mayo
Fries - nice sized portion, not greasy
water

Snack:
2 fannie may mint meltaways - had to finish the box.

As for exercise - I walked to the bus stop - 3 blocks and I will probably do the same when I go home. I need to get back on my bike.

Trilby 04-25-2006 04:38 PM

Breakfast-Slimfast shake (the Optima kind) had this at 8:00
Lunch turkey/lettuce/tomato on bread with mayo/diet coke ate at 4:00 (was famished!)

4:00 had a hot chocolate (bad! but, it's rainy and gloomy here and my whole self hurts)

Exercise--walked all over campus.
I'll try to do better tomorrow. It's a LOT of planning, planning, planning so you have healthy on hand and don't get starved and eat an entire pizza.

Kitsune 04-25-2006 05:07 PM

Phoo. All of this is making me take a close look at what I've packed in my lunch, today. I don't like what I see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by melidasaur
Fries - nice sized portion, not greasy

Just out of curiosity, where do you find french fries that are not greasy? Aren't the two inseparable since, you know, they're "fries"?

Happy Monkey 04-25-2006 05:15 PM

Non-greasy fries have the grease on the inside.

lumberjim 04-25-2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
Wrap: est. 12 points (tortilla 2, turkey 4, slaw 2, dressing 4)
Fries: est. 6 points

lunch = 18
total for day = 27

nothing to drink?

let me know when this is annoying

just h2o

had another coffee at 3pm with cream

-welcome in, munchkin.

seakdivers 04-25-2006 07:26 PM

Oh I am beginning to realize my downfall...... grazing while cooking dinner. I start preparing dinner and I take a bite of this, a pinch of that. I think I need to wear big cooking mitts the whole time so I don't touch anything.

lumberjim 04-25-2006 10:06 PM

Dinner( too late [10:30]at night, which i think is part of my problem)
Turkey sandwich on wheat toast with american cheese, lettuce tomato and " a little bit" of mayo from wawa, and a blueberry yogurt.

DucksNuts 04-25-2006 10:25 PM

You're right LJ, you really should try and eat no later than 7.30pm-8pm, as your body starts to shut down its metabolism for the nite and its too easy for your body to store that food as fat.

The other thing you could do is make your main meal at lunch? then just have a light dinner?

I've done a couple of nutrition courses and the first thing we tell everybody who wants to be accountable for their food intake...is to go buy a little calorie counting book...it makes things sooooo much easier and you will be amazed at the food choices you can make daily that will make a whole heap of difference.

Good luck everybody :D

Undertoad 04-25-2006 10:42 PM

Turkey sandwich = 9 pts (3 pts bread, 2 pts chz, 2 pts turkey 2 pts mayo) (mayo is one pt per teaspoon, it kills you)

Yogurt = depends on size, usu. 3 pts

Total for day = 40

Caloric equivalent = roughly 2000

The time of eating, I ignore that. I guess it's more satisfying to spend your hungry hours asleep but in the end I feel it's just eating fewer calories per day than you burn. Most solid food takes 24 hours to get through your digestive system anyway.

lumberjim 04-26-2006 01:35 AM

4 pretzel rods, 1 tiny little orange

Trilby 04-26-2006 06:18 AM

Why are you up so early, lj?

I hope I can stick to it today. god, I'm a weak person.

Last night I wanted a doughnut soooo bad I could practically taste the damn thing. I didn't go get one, though. :donut: It's all about small victories.