The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   How much is too much (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32971)

bbro 08-15-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 994004)
Get your passport now. No reason to wait.. It takes longer than you would think.

I am when I get back home. I am at my parent's right now. I got enough stress with that. Maybe that's why I want to go to Iceland......

xoxoxoBruce 08-16-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 994005)
I am at my parent's right now. I got enough stress with that.

Ha ha ha, the universal truth. :thumb2:

Gravdigr 08-16-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 994005)
Maybe that's why I want to go to Iceland......

If I could, I'd drive ya.

classicman 08-20-2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 993786)
I am really tempted to book one for the end of the year in Yellowstone, but I do tend to be spontaneous.....

I'm not so sure you want to be there during the winter... check with some other people here who have done that already. From what I understand, some roads and attractions are not open/available during the winter months.

I just went last month. It was amazing. I'm not so sure it would have been as nice during the winter.

bbro 08-21-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 994260)
I'm not so sure you want to be there during the winter... check with some other people here who have done that already. From what I understand, some roads and attractions are not open/available during the winter months.

I just went last month. It was amazing. I'm not so sure it would have been as nice during the winter.

That's why I am leaning towards these expeditions - they take care of all the planning and stuff. I don't have to worry about not knowing what's open or not. I am going to wait anyways. I think Iceland will be worth the wait

xoxoxoBruce 08-21-2017 10:48 AM

They both sound like great tours, you probably can't make a wrong choice.

bbro 08-21-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 994281)
They both sound like great tours, you probably can't make a wrong choice.

Well, I am thiiiiiiis close to saying Fuck it and booking the 10,000 one for Iceland that is a lot more hiking and 10 days instead of 7. I mean, I keep thinking "If the cheaper one is good, then I'll go back", but will I? Really??

xoxoxoBruce 08-21-2017 07:21 PM

That's a big gamble, for $10 Grand you could do the shorter trip and beach front hotel in Florida. :D

bbro 08-22-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 994325)
That's a big gamble, for $10 Grand you could do the shorter trip and beach front hotel in Florida. :D

Going to Florida this year - probably won't go back again. So many other beaches and islands to try. I'm probably going to end up doing the shorter trip. I just can't justify maxing out my credit card no matter how badly I want to do it. I am going to just say that I'll take a bigun for my 40th birthday in a few years

glatt 08-22-2017 10:45 AM

Yeah, if you don't have the cash saved up, I'd be cautious about taking on debt to take a vacation.

bbro 08-22-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 994346)
Yeah, if you don't have the cash saved up, I'd be cautious about taking on debt to take a vacation.

If I did that, I would never take a vacation. I'm fine with having debt to go to new places. Life's too short to worry about it. I routinely pay off my debt, so it doesn't just keep accumulating.

Update on the Iceland trip - I think I found a local travel agency I may contact (communication with NatGeo and their partners has been non-responsive). It also looks like all the hotels offer day trips of some sort, so I can go that route, too. I don't know if it will end up being cheaper or not (doubt it), but I get to do exactly what I want and still explore Reykjavik itself

Gravdigr 08-22-2017 01:49 PM

Credit bugs me.

I'm w/Glatt, I would not borrow money to go on vacation. And (re: Chris posting his credit card debt) I would NEVER have told anyone I had a $25,000 credit card debt. In fact, I would have probably killed myself If I accumulated that much cc debt.

I don't like credit, and have no credit cards.

Back to the thread subject:

If you get to Iceland, see if ya can learn the language in a week, like this guy did:

bbro 08-22-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 994356)
Credit bugs me.

I'm w/Glatt, I would not borrow money to go on vacation. And (re: Chris posting his credit card debt) I would NEVER have told anyone I had a $25,000 credit card debt. In fact, I would have probably killed myself If I accumulated that much cc debt.

I don't like credit, and have no credit cards.

Ok - again, not my concern. I am not talking about how much debt I may or may not have. But there is sure as hell no way I am booking things online with a card directly into my bank account even if I did have the cash for it. Killing yourself over debt is silly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 994356)

Back to the thread subject:

If you get to Iceland, see if ya can learn the language in a week, like this guy did:

Probably not since everyone speaks English.

Gravdigr 08-22-2017 02:34 PM

So sorry for the thread drift.

BUT, you did ask How Much Is Too Much? You asked our opinion.

Again, sorry. Won't foul up your thread again.

Have fun in English-speaking Iceland.

Gravdigr 08-22-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 994365)
Probably not since everyone speaks English.

That statement speaks volumes.