The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you make 'enough' money? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15420)

Spexxvet 09-19-2007 01:31 PM

Well said, V

lookout123 09-19-2007 01:41 PM

I'm content with my income in that it pays my bills and allows me to do many of the fun things i want.

I want more so that I can achieve my long term financial goals, maybe even ahead of schedule. I want more so that I can increase my amount of giving (I can make more money more easily than many others so it makes sense to do this, IMO) I want more so that I can give more children the opportunity to play soccer regardless of parental income. I want more so that my son will have to work harder in a volunteer position throughout college to receive my payments rather than piss his time away delivering pizza's for beer money. I want more so that I can work less in the future. I want more so that in the future I can take on clients that I can't afford to take on at this point in time.

I have a feeling that no matter how much I make, the above statements will hold true.

LabRat 09-19-2007 01:53 PM

Of course I want more money. Who doesn't?? What I wish is that I was better able to resist the things I don't really need. Then I'm sure I'd find I have more than enough.

pourbill 09-19-2007 02:03 PM

I said I have enough, but I could spend more. The main things men want money for are toys, food and drink, and girls. Since I'm married, have some toys, and eat and drink well (too well) what else could I say? But there are still a lot of hot girls out there.

Spexxvet 09-19-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pourbill (Post 386837)
I said I have enough, but I could spend more. The main things men want money for are toys, food and drink, and girls. Since I'm married, have some toys, and eat and drink well (too well) what else could I say? But there are still a lot of hot girls out there.

Wow, you can buy hot girls?

Razzmatazz13 09-19-2007 02:27 PM

Nope, not enough money here...but then...this is my first job, and my first raise was over $1...(though I think they just wanted to bump me over the new minimum wage enough to keep me.) It's plenty of money for my current lifestyle (living with my dad) but it wouldn't be near enough to support me in the "real" world.

elSicomoro 09-19-2007 02:34 PM

I make enough money to pay my bills and do a few extra things. I make far below my earning potential though, which is mainly due to my own doing. After our honeymoon, I intend to start looking for a real job again. The only way is up at this point.

barefoot serpent 09-19-2007 02:51 PM

yes, sufficient -- although it took me ~15 yrs to catch up with what I was making in LA but, then house prices are much less here in KS. I guess the real estate bubble bursting will help to normalize things, somewhat.

According to all of the retirement 'calculators' I can retire now and live on ~90% of my income 'til I'm 95 (with a 4% inflation rate and NO Social Security income) -- I'm strongly thinking about it...

DanaC 09-19-2007 03:04 PM

Well. I certainly don't earn enough to meet my needs currently, and would not wish to remain on this income level for good. That said, I am content to remain at this level for now, as an increase in income would require me to give up my studies. It is worth it to me to stay at university, surviving on my student loan + bursary along with my Council allowance. Overall my income amounts to a little under £14k before tax. Given that my rent alone is £375 a month, you can see that I am not exactly in Clover :P

I think in terms of what income level would make me 'content' for the long term, I'd say anything between £20k and £25k per annum.

By that I mean, below £20k I may be tempted not to take a job even though I would enjoy it. Above £25k I don't think I could be tempted into a job that wasn't something I really wanted to do just because of the wage it offered.

jester 09-19-2007 03:27 PM

I voted content, mostly because technically, I do make enough for the lifestyle that I have. Early in my marriage, it was rough financially. However, things have changed - I have had this job since 1989. I'm a staple:) - That being said, in the beginning, it was low paying, however I am on salary, which is definitely great, cause I'm not here 40 hrs a week (everyone knows it). They pay all my health & dental insurance, I pay for AFLAC. They pay into my retirement account which is in "profit sharing", so it's good. The spouse makes decent money too. It's just stupid decisions that are made, that gets us into "binds". Oh well, such is life.

HungLikeJesus 09-19-2007 03:51 PM

It's not about the money.

It's about the stuff.

Shawnee123 09-19-2007 04:11 PM

And that's a good point, Jesus. What kind of "stuff" is sufficient for each person? Going back to the car reference, I really would like for one that is more reliable...but then I really do love sports cars and saw a beautiful BMW Z4 that was the prettiest shade of blue I've ever seen and I thought "I WANT that!" Would that, then, be enough?

limey 09-19-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 386805)
HM and Limey....you're both single and live alone, right?

Nope. I married in April of this year. I am referring to our joint income. We don't have (or intend to have) kids.

Spexxvet 09-19-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 386894)
And that's a good point, Jesus. What kind of "stuff" is sufficient for each person? Going back to the car reference, I really would like for one that is more reliable...but then I really do love sports cars and saw a beautiful BMW Z4 that was the prettiest shade of blue I've ever seen and I thought "I WANT that!" Would that, then, be enough?

Naw, you deserve a Bentley Azure.

rkzenrage 09-19-2007 04:18 PM

I miss work.