The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My cashier today was called Moronica (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33159)

lumberjim 11-12-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 998571)
I know the "Placenta" story has attained urban apocrypha status, but this guy was pretty straight up, he *was* a doctor, and he told me the story while he was on the bench at a hockey game he was playing in (men's huff and puff league for which I was the videographer), so I believe him.

My ex sister in law had a receptionist named Pleasenta. Legit.

Griff 11-13-2017 06:48 AM

I keep coming across medication names. Lil Pete had two in pre-school based on allergy meds. Alegra? I think.

Undertoad 11-13-2017 07:16 AM

lumberjim 11-13-2017 12:02 PM

Adalimumab, get your behine in heah!

Gravdigr 11-13-2017 12:44 PM

Medications for names...

I used to know a guy with a dog named 'Rorer 714'. Carved into his leather collar.

Clodfobble 11-13-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
Lil Pete had two in pre-school based on allergy meds. Alegra? I think.

To be fair, Allegra was a female Italian name before it was a prescription medication. Fexofenadine/Allegra was released in 1996, though, so the parents probably still should have known better.

monster 11-13-2017 05:51 PM

My poor daughter has the middle name Amazon. She was born in 1997 when the big online company was an unheard-of 2yo fledgling of a company. Now no-one knows of cares about the fabulous strength and beauty that should be conjured b the name... they just think smiley box of goodies and why would you name your kid.....

I have a friend who named her kid Nemo just a couple of years before the movie.

And Thor was named in 2001 but people still think it's after the "movie character" :rolleyes:

monster 11-13-2017 05:54 PM

My journalist friend (who really did encounter a "Placenta" -no urban myth) also encountered a couple of Cliniques. Even if you hadn't heard of the Make-up brand, what would you be thinking? There's probably a Laboratoire somewhere.....

....oh I once thought I heard a mom call her girl Latrine, but I was never able to ascertain if that was her name or I misheard :eek: I'd forgotten about that. I'm sure I must have misheard.

lumberjim 11-14-2017 12:56 AM

Probably LaTrina. I've met two.

Griff 11-14-2017 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 998613)
To be fair, Allegra was a female Italian name before it was a prescription medication. Fexofenadine/Allegra was released in 1996, though, so the parents probably still should have known better.

Ah, they should have gotten a pass, these kids would have been born in '94. One of them couldn't make "L" sounds yet which was very cute but reinforced the allergy med idea.

I named a kid Fiona before Mike Meyers named Shrek's lady friend.

Clodfobble 11-14-2017 01:31 PM

I still associate that name more with Fiona Apple than Shrek, myself.

DanaC 11-14-2017 02:00 PM

The name Fiona is just Fiona for me no cultural associations - just a semi-common name.

glatt 11-14-2017 03:21 PM

Fiona is Fiona from my office. A tough old broad of an Irish woman who I worked with about 20 years ago. I don't even know her last name. She was just Fiona to everyone.

She smoked like a chimney and died long ago. I liked her. She was a good egg.

xoxoxoBruce 11-14-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 998633)
My poor daughter has the middle name Amazon. She was born in 1997 when the big online company was an unheard-of 2yo fledgling of a company. Now no-one knows of cares about the fabulous strength and beauty that should be conjured b the name... they just think smiley box of goodies and why would you name your kid.....

Unless it'll get her a VP job at Amazon, she could change it to Hippolyta, Antiope, or Thessalia.

Quote:

The Amazons got a bum rap in antiquity. They wore trousers. They smoked pot, covered their skin with tattoos, rode horses, and fought as hard as the guys.

Pamela 11-14-2017 06:57 PM

But just TRY to change an ordinary boy name to an ordinary girl name in Texas!

You'd think I was burning flags AND Bibles on the courthouse steps! Gonna have to hire a lawyer and shop for a judge. Sheesh!