The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why I don't vote (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=35354)

Undertoad 10-05-2020 12:39 AM

also you must vote in every election, twice a year

your vote for local commissioners or school board members will have far more sway than at state or federal level

Griff 10-05-2020 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1059077)
You vote for who most closely represents the change you want to see, and then you lobby them to see things more your way.

This is the crucial bit. You have to be a supporter and a potential pain in the ass.

Undertoad 10-05-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

You vote for who most closely represents the change you want to see, and then you lobby them to see things more your way.
I want to go to NYC.

Get on board, this express train goes to Maine.

But there isn't enough food for us all in Maine and we don't even have coats.

You must board the train for Maine and bribe the conductor to stop or you are a bad passenger.

But the conductor is 77 years old and asleep.

The only other train goes to Florida and the conductor doesn't know how to drive, do you want to go to crazy Florida on that train?

Absolutely not. I think I'll stay where I am and hope for the best.

You are now LiTeRaLlY an advocate for crazy Florida!!

Happy Monkey 10-05-2020 09:37 AM

You're on the train already.

footfootfoot 10-05-2020 10:21 AM

I believe that voting shouldn't be a right or a privilege; it should be a requirement. You can vote for anyone you want but you have to cast a vote. In every election, as Toad points out.

We also need to abolish the electoral college

Abolish political contributions from any source. If a person receives enough signatures to be added to the ballot then they are allotted a campaign budget that comes out of tax revenue. Everyone who qualifies gets the same amount of money.

Abolish gerrymandering.

Set term limits on all court appointments.

End lobbying.

We don't really have a democracy and the rules set in place ensure that it will be a long time, if ever, before we do.

Wealthy white landowners FOR THE WIN! GO USA!

monster 10-05-2020 11:42 AM

Since I have been eligible to vote I have missed two elections. Both local. One I wasn't in town for but was unable to get an absentee vote in time. The other I was volunteering all day and left early to try and vote but got held up behind a traffic accident and arrived a couple of minutes after 8pm. Mybad on that one.

We are already on the train. If you don't like where it's going, talk to the people operating it, try and persuade them to stop the train or to step away and you learn how to apply the brakes. It may take effort, but beats jumping off or randomly shoving other passengers off. Unless you have no morality.

Undertoad 10-05-2020 12:08 PM

yeah just allow the metaphor to be whatever you like, fuck it i'm out

Dude111 10-05-2020 12:52 PM

I dont vote either...

Its just a game to keep ppl THINKING they have say in things when they really do not.....

monster 10-05-2020 01:29 PM

Yeah, that's why Michigan has female leadership, absentee voting for all, legalized recreational cannabis........ definitely how "they" wanted it to go. Part of the game plan. :rolleyes:

Gravdigr 10-05-2020 02:55 PM

I don't vote cuz I don't give a shit.

I really don't.

I do think that in addition to voting for someone, you should have a no vote, y'know, vote against someone.

tw 10-05-2020 04:37 PM

When one does not vote, then one is voting for the extremists. Extremists supporters vote 95% of the time. A non-voter is asking extremists to make all decisions.

Non-voter is also instructing every moderate politician to pay most attention to what extremists want. Patriotic moderates always vote.

Gravdigr 10-05-2020 09:08 PM

English cannot, CANNOT, be his first language.

Urbane Guerrilla 10-05-2020 11:24 PM

I just received my ballot in the mail today. Along with the wife.

(Along with one for a former roommate, who has lived out of state about three years now. Gonna have to tell the Registrar to purge him from the voter roll.)

Couldn't put up with abolishing the Electoral College, though. Its effect, on exactly one Federal office, is even playing field representation of small states v. large states. The EC has allowed us to dodge a bullet twice in the last nineteen years.

Useful, that.

Both bullets came from the Democratic side of the aisle.

xoxoxoBruce 10-06-2020 03:08 AM

Does anyone believe Urban Gorilla will void that extra ballot. :rolleyes:

tw 10-06-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1059110)
English cannot, CANNOT, be his first language.

Why post here? This discussion is for people who are old enough to vote.