The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Workkin' Out! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15457)

jinx 09-24-2007 01:19 PM

Sounds great SG.
Our place has TV's in front of the cardio equip. If you find a good show you can easily lose an hour on the treadmill...
I bet you'll enjoy the yoga. I took a 1 on 1 class that nearly killed me, obviously would see huge results if I stuck with it, but the schedule doesn't work for me. I know 2 different women that decided to try yoga out to get some exercise and are now instructors they liked it so much (1 was a very highly paid fashion photographer in NYC)

Enjoy yourself - and keep posting!

monster 09-24-2007 04:02 PM

Just swam today. 48 lengths (2/3 mile) 25 mins, half breaststroke, half freestyle.

Bullitt 09-24-2007 04:57 PM

I would kill for my school to have a pool for me to do laps in. Somehow we can pay off whoever to let us have our home football games in the Football Hall of Fame stadium, and straight up buy a whole apartment complex to house extra students this year, but can't be bothered to add a frickin pool to our wellness center. We have to use the one at the Jewish Community Center down the street. How's that for irony. My old high school has a better gym facility than this. [/end rant]

I've been using the http://fitdeck.com/fit/index.htm for a couple of months now and I have been feeling the effects of it. I'm not ripped, yet haha, but I feel much more energized, wake up well rested (which is huge for me), and just overall feel more fit. It seriously looks like some lame off of TV thing, but it's (plus better diet and regular 8 hours of sleep) been working for me.

DucksNuts 09-24-2007 11:28 PM

SG - if you lose motivation and find yourself not wanting to go to the gym....make yourself get organised and go....but, tell yourself that if you get changed and STILL dont want to work out, that you can just walk out of the changeroom and go home.

Its a trick that my old PTer used to say and it works.

I workout 6 days a week, but I do 8 sessions a week.

I run 4 days, 2 days of strength training and on Tuesdays and Thursday I do a run in the morning and a aqua aerobics or bootcamp workout of a nite.

Trilby 09-25-2007 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 388432)
How do you "spread" cheddar, Bri? Did you pre-melt it or something?

It's that Kaukauna spreadable cheddar from Wisconsin that comes in a tub.

(You see how I'm talking about food in an exercise thread? I'm in complete denial and should have my jaw wired shut for six months. I disgust myself.)

Shawnee123 09-25-2007 07:56 AM

Ah yes! Great on the Sociables. ;)

Flint 09-25-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 388493)
...Our place has TV's in front of the cardio equip. If you find a good show you can easily lose an hour on the treadmill...

The drummer for Slipknot (Joey Jordison) practices his double bass for hours, sitting in front of the TV.
I have tried doing mindless single-stroke rolls on a practice pad while watching movies. Developing "muscle memory" ...

Flunt 09-25-2007 10:22 AM

.'..but for some reason, as soon as i take my mind off of what i'm doing, my right hand goes tube shaped, and starts a-thrusting back and forth.'

jinx 09-25-2007 10:26 PM

I don't work out every day, usually 4-5 days/wk, and it's mostly the same every time... slowing adding weight over time.

Worked out today - pretty much the same as Sunday but only 20mins on the stairmotherfucker, 75 and 68 steps/min.

lookout123 09-25-2007 10:50 PM

pretty bruised and sore from sunday's harsh tackle.

45 minutes on the cycle, 1 mile run.

pull ups - 10
chin ups - 10
medicine ball crunches - 20
medicine ball pushups - 20

3 sets.

monster 09-25-2007 11:21 PM

Planned to work out and swim today, but got drafted into marshalling kids for picture day at school. Lots of corridors and stairs, and some mental shit too. I earned my beer.

Griff 09-26-2007 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 388852)
The drummer for Slipknot (Joey Jordison) practices his double bass for hours, sitting in front of the TV.
I have tried doing mindless single-stroke rolls on a practice pad while watching movies. Developing "muscle memory" ...

That is huge in fencing as well. If your reactions are automatic and correct the game slows down.

Sundae 09-26-2007 11:56 AM

Had my first yoga lesson today.
I will admit I didn't enjoy it.

It didn't start well - we got there after the start of the class (okay - only a few seconds, but I was out of breath, sweaty and mortified) because of HM's inability to be on time for anything. Grrrr.

I then had problems with any positions on my knees - they aren't great at the best of times, but I have bruises and scabs from falling over on Monday. So that was all ouch ouch ouch.

Then my severely underworked muscles meant I shaked badly holding any position, which doesn't help my naturally poor balance.

And finally my rolls of fat got in the way of any positions not covered by the above complaints.

Yes I am going again. The fact I disliked it mostly because I was so bad at it makes me far more determined than if I'd accomplished it all easily but just didn't enjoy it.

Going to try & go twice a week.

theotherguy 09-26-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 389223)
I then had problems with any positions on my knees

From what I have read, you should have been great at those! :thumb:

I really think you are going to like yoga. I found it to be one of the most relaxing things I have ever done. However, once the VCR died, I stopped doing it. I really should look into a DVD version or a class.

lumberjim 09-26-2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 389223)

And finally my rolls of fat got in the way of any positions not covered by the above complaints.

when I first started at the gym, i had to set the squat machine to a way outside setting cuz my enormous gut was in the way. it gets better.

on our way to the gym now.