The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   British Telly (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26192)

Sundae 11-04-2011 02:42 PM

Don't worry, I'm cognisant with them all now, thanks to Torchwood:MD :)
Think I'll start them tomorrow though.

Muddy day today at school.
Knackered.

Scriveyn 01-07-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 770164)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Whitechapel ... seems as if there's a trend of pulling the past into the present going on. This is just a modernizing of the characters like Sherlock ... but a newly minted Detective Inspector gets dumped on an established murder investigation unit... I'm assuming that this is a close-ended series?

Yep it's a genre now. But Rupert Penry-Jones and Phil Davis gave it a little more weight. And of course Steve Pemberton was in it, with his peculiar animalistic appeal. There is another series. Not sure if it will be the last.

I liked the way it was shot. It's certainly not supposed to be realistic, so it does exist in its own slightly off-beat world.

Episodes 1-3 of series two are currently up on BBC ONE / THREE

A Scandal In Belgravia
The Hounds Of Baskerville
The Reichenbach Falls

I'll give it a try.

sullage 01-08-2012 10:53 AM

I've been watching Outnumbered. I don't have any kids, and I think it might be less funny to parents. I love watching a twenty minute scene about getting ready for school in the morning and at the end the characters are no closer to being ready to go.

Sundae 01-08-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sullage (Post 786010)
I've been watching Outnumbered. I don't have any kids, and I think it might be less funny to parents.

I wouldn't be so sure. It's a favourite in the staffroom, and I'm in a minority in that I don't have any children of my own (2 in 30?)

Also the stream of consciousness approach appeals to many parents brought up on "exploded" sitcoms.

infinite monkey 01-08-2012 11:34 AM

I thought this was a thread about Benny Hill. :(

Clodfobble 01-08-2012 03:37 PM

Stuff like that is usually very funny to parents, because it means that they're not alone, they're not bad parents for living in a maelstrom, and that things could always be worse. It's like how people with messy houses really like watching Hoarders. :)

Spexxvet 01-10-2012 08:16 AM

Watched the first episode of Survivors. Looks like it's worth watching more.

ZenGum 01-10-2012 06:41 PM

Why the heck is QI only 30 minutes? Surely those wits could carry on for three times that long each week (and they probably do) and I'd watch it.

DanaC 01-10-2012 07:27 PM

There's also the extended editions QI XL which are 50 minutes.

BigV 01-11-2012 05:18 PM

british television, not british radio. I have misremembered this story about the BBC's World Service program. They're going to carry advertising for the first time.

What is the relationship between BBC television and BBC radio?

Rhianne 01-11-2012 05:43 PM

They are as one - but don't tell the radio people that! I worked for both (but was never directly employed by either) for over twenty years.

Sundae 01-21-2012 05:47 AM

Anyone watching this series of Sherlock?
I've watched episode one so far and am making inroads into episode two.

Gatiss, Cumberbatch, Tovey, Freeman. British TV at its best.

DanaC 01-21-2012 05:53 AM

I watched the first one of the new series, Murder in Bohemia. Really enjoyed it.

I'd started watching it a few days prior, but after about 10 minutes I realised I was in entirely the wrong mood. wasn't hiting my buttons at all. Just thought Sherlock was a bit of a dick.

Went back to it and really got into it this time. Loved it.

I'd only seen one of the previous series. I'd caught the others in passing, but hadn't watched them. So, after I'd seen Murder in Bohemia, I went back and watched eps 1 and 2 of the first series. Am going to watch the third this weekend, then skip onto ep 2 of the current series.

Awesome, awesome prog. It's finally got me.

Clodfobble 01-21-2012 10:44 AM

We looooove it. Have watched all the first three episodes more than once. Really itching for the second season to get posted to Netflix.

BrianR 01-21-2012 10:57 AM

Mary is also addicted. She had me set up a UK proxy for her so she can watch the rest. I swore to her that I couldn't because I didn't really want to be fussed with it. :)