The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Marine wedding. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8948)

wolf 08-19-2005 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512
I admit it's a bit flowery, but I don't see any obvious spelling or grammer rules being broken.

You wouldn't.

;) :lol:

dar512 08-19-2005 12:36 PM

:question: :question: :question:

Queen of the Ryche 08-19-2005 01:10 PM

Quote:

I admit it's a bit flowery, but I don't see any obvious spelling or grammer rules being broken.

1.) Lack of spelling or grammAr errors do not quality writing make.
2.) See above. :o

Trilby 08-19-2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche

Oh yeah? Tell Marichiko that! :D

dar512 08-19-2005 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche

And long sentences do not imply bad writing. For every Hemingway there is a Faulkner or a London. You just don't run into long sentences much these days. Modern readers raised on Sesame Street and MTV don't have the patience for it.

Queen of the Ryche 08-19-2005 02:56 PM

So sad but so true. I think I'll start my two year old on Beowulf and Chaucer right away. Okay, maybe when she's five.

Bullitt 08-19-2005 03:02 PM

Yeah, Beowulf would be a bit much for a 5 year old.. the whole ripping off of limbs, mass killing of the innocent and whatnot :biggrin:
I'd start with The Canterbury Tales

Trilby 08-19-2005 03:05 PM

Yeah, but there's all that sex in there...and the Wyf of Bath is beyond the pale, quite!

Queen of the Ryche 08-19-2005 03:07 PM

But Beowulf is a funny funny story! As is Gawain and the Green Knight - great humor back in the day...
Maybe Pilgrims Progress? Or a little Joyce to lighten things up? HA HA

Trilby 08-19-2005 03:10 PM

There's always Jonathan Swift for long-assed sentences and words you can't pronounce and probably on second thought aren't real words, anyway...

Queen of the Ryche 08-19-2005 03:13 PM

I actually enjoy watching Sesame Street. The bits have some good hidden adult humor, and are just long enough for my two year old's TV-watching attention span; her book attention span is actually a good half hour to forty five minutes - pretty amazing she is. (Her newest words are "probably", and "because" - ask her what color something is, she'll now reply with a strange sentece like "it's probably green, because not yellow.")

xoxoxoBruce 08-19-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

And long sentences do not imply bad writing. For every Hemingway there is a Faulkner or a London. You just don't run into long sentences much these days. Modern readers raised on Sesame Street and MTV don't have the patience for it.

Right...just the other day I sent someone an email consisting of two sentences. The first contained 185 words and the second, two words. ;)

richlevy 08-19-2005 08:01 PM

As an English major I was subjected to Henry James and John Milton. I do not want to repeat the experience.

marichiko 08-19-2005 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
Oh yeah? Tell Marichiko that! :D

HUH??????????????????????????????????????

marichiko 08-19-2005 09:17 PM

Quote:

Long setences don't imply good writing, either. Brevity is the soul of wit. Something I often tend to forget, myself.