The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   12/4/2005: Obelisk condom (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9654)

glatt 12-05-2005 04:20 PM

Yeah, well, Edison is vastly overrated anyway. He had a good PR department. I'll give him that. Nikola Tesla. Now that's a guy that rocked. Our entire system of electricity is based on that guy's work.

dar512 12-05-2005 04:57 PM

I agree.

xoxoxoBruce 12-05-2005 08:07 PM

That's shocking. :speechls:

capnhowdy 12-05-2005 09:00 PM

Tesla, or the agreement?

russotto 12-05-2005 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Somehow I can't see the current administration allowing that on the Washington Monument. :cop:

The Washington Monument had already had a monument condom. OK, really it was a scaffolding during renovation, but it pretty much resembled a monument condom

Elspode 12-06-2005 12:12 AM

I can't seem to think of anything except for a visual of a monumental amount of spooge that is going to take quite some time to dry up before disposal.

xoxoxoBruce 12-06-2005 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnhowdy
Tesla, or the agreement?

Electricity. :lol:

bargalunan 12-08-2005 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
12 01 1993 in Paris on "La Concorde" square :

capnhowdy 12-08-2005 04:04 PM

I don't think this one is "ribbed for her pleasure".

hideouse 12-09-2005 10:02 AM

Hello, Cellar!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
I'm guessing this one is based on the fact that the speed of sound is relative to the density of the medium it travels through.

I probably could pick a better way to introduce m'self, but this is a topic I got mildly interested in one day during an aircraft systems.
the speed of sound does not depend on density or temperature, except as how these things affect the stiffness of the medium. So warm rubber( quite dense) transmits sound slower that glass (less dense). Stiffness determines the speed of sound in any medium.

capnhowdy 12-09-2005 02:25 PM

welcome to the Cellar, hideouse.
Nice piece of info there.

xoxoxoBruce 12-09-2005 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hideouse
Stiffness determines the speed of sound in any medium.

So the humming will transmit faster if it's harder...hmmm....
Uh....thanks hideouse.....that calls for some experimenting.
Oh, and I second the welcome. :)

Troubleshooter 12-10-2005 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hideouse
I probably could pick a better way to introduce m'self, but this is a topic I got mildly interested in one day during an aircraft systems.
the speed of sound does not depend on density or temperature, except as how these things affect the stiffness of the medium. So warm rubber( quite dense) transmits sound slower that glass (less dense). Stiffness determines the speed of sound in any medium.

I guess since you've shown me yours I'll show you mine... :)

I was a sonar technician on the USS City of Corpus Cristi for two years, so my study of acoustics is a bit more thorough.

If what you say is true, why is the speed of sound in water five times that of the speed of sound in air? Neither are very stiff. What you say is true on the surface, but when you dive a bit deeper it becomes more clear.

Check out this page here for information.

xoxoxoBruce 12-10-2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

If what you say is true, why is the speed of sound in water five times that of the speed of sound in air? Neither are very stiff.
Jump out of an airplane over the water and you'll see the difference in stiffness. :lol:

capnhowdy 12-10-2005 10:24 AM

I thought the key word here was density. Surely water is more dense than air. But whadda I know. I'm just an old Marine.