The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Thank you, America! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12349)

glatt 11-09-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
Oh, who am I trying to kid? He won't answer them anyway.

I figured there was nothing to answer. When you are right, you are right.

The country is still split 50/50. Is just a smidgen to the left now instead of a smidgen to the right.

Trilby 11-09-2006 01:22 PM

DanaC: "There is a big difference between disagreeing with a country who went to war and wanting terrible things to happen to that country."

riiight. You love us.

Undertoad 11-09-2006 01:24 PM

It's not our fault. You guys kicked out all the religious nuts with guns and now you're surprised we're a bunch of religious nuts with guns!

yesman065 11-09-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
Nobody’s ever suggested that the attacks of September the 11th were ordered by Iraq."

Nor did I, but he had been supporting training and offering a safe haven to them for decades.

yesman065 11-09-2006 01:36 PM

This war is NOT against Iraq - its against Terrorists.

Flint 11-09-2006 01:43 PM

Can I justifiably break into your garage and steal your lawnmower, because of terrorists?

yesman065 11-09-2006 01:47 PM

Nah - my ex moved out of the house last weekend and took it along with everything else & I mean everything right down to lightbulbs and toilet paper. But if I had one, you could.

Flint 11-09-2006 01:48 PM

!!!

yesman065 11-09-2006 02:08 PM

OK, I give up - you guys are all right and I'm nuts. (not the first time) Just let me make sure I get this correct, so when asked I have ALL the facts and can discuss this intelligently. We, America, as a country, invaded another country, Iraq, and committed the majority of our military manpower, jeopardizing 10's if not 100's of thousands of lives, included all facets of our defense programs, spent countless millions of dollars AND dragged our allies with us for absolutely no reason other than to just to siphon off money into the pockets of political and personal supporters. Is that right??

Shawnee123 11-09-2006 02:11 PM

Sounds pretty close ;)

Flint 11-09-2006 02:12 PM

I think we had reasons for doing it, and I wish they could have been more up front about what they were, instead of cooking up a series of failed PR campaigns, and losing support for a war the reasons for which were never properly stated to begin with.

glatt 11-09-2006 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesman065
OK, I give up - you guys are all right and I'm nuts. (not the first time) Just let me make sure I get this correct, so when asked I have ALL the facts and can discuss this intelligently. We, America, as a country, invaded another country, Iraq, and committed the majority of our military manpower, jeopardizing 10's if not 100's of thousands of lives, included all facets of our defense programs, spent countless millions of dollars AND dragged our allies with us for absolutely no reason other than to just to siphon off money into the pockets of political and personal supporters. Is that right??

I still don't know why we invaded Iraq. It never made sense. Your reason isn't the best I've heard, but it's possible.

yesman065 11-09-2006 02:19 PM

My goodness people - that is really really sad! I am ashamed to call myself an American if some of us actually believe that statement. I am done - there is no more. It really scares the hell outta me that anyone could convince someone of that.

BigV 11-09-2006 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
Now I'm the one who is speechless.

I, too, am speechless.

The whole "they attacked us" where "they" == "Iraq" is a big red flag for me. I hear that and give the next ten seconds or so to gather the context--humor, sarcasm, rebuttal, or, gawd, righteous indignation. If the tone is serious belief, the speaker has lost considerable standing, perhaps permanently. This is on the order of saying "The earth is flat." with a straight face. Gonna be *hard* to recover from that one.

yesman065 11-09-2006 02:30 PM

They = terrorists.