The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   To those who have served or are currently serving...dinner (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18508)

Sundae 10-24-2008 10:42 AM

I can't see a picture on their site - can you take one and post it?
I'm intrigued. I just know I have the wrong image in my head :)

Urbane Guerrilla 10-28-2008 10:48 PM

Mm. Couple of marinated, seasoned (sort of Mexi-spicy, from the market a few blocks away) chicken breasts between three people, and abundant frozen veggies: 3 colors of peppers, TJ's Harvest Medley (like stir-fry mixed veggies) and half a bag of frozen peas, and some frozen TJ's Toasted Corn. Slowly cooked the breasts from frozen, pulled them out and kept them warm in the toaster oven, and cooked all the veggies in the chicken juices.

Okay, all in all. Maybe not super memorable, but sufficient. Playing with seasonings doubtless would add to the fun factor.

Big Sarge 11-06-2008 03:10 PM

I don't have a kitchen, but I'm trying to be creative. Tonight, I will serve nachos. I put tortilla chips on a plate, pour a can of chili on it, a little hot sauce, canned cheez wiz, and some chopped jalapenos. I sit it on my window sill to warm it up in the sun (my room faces west). I plan to wash it down with a couple of bottles of British ale

Pie 11-06-2008 04:13 PM

Roasted acorn squash, grilled lamb tips, assorted sauteed veggies (sugar snap peas, mushrooms & carrots)

jinx 11-06-2008 07:34 PM

Tonight it's salad for me; box of spring mix, diced chicken breast, snap peas, carrot shreds, avocado, and tomatoes, with black bean and roasted corn salsa as dressing. The kids are having chicken quesadillas with their choice of raw veggies on the side.

Last night was faux mac & cheese (pasta with pureed butternuts squash).

Big Sarge 11-06-2008 07:49 PM

Oh God, I can't believe I ate those nachos. I think they are fermenting. This is going to be bad......

DanaC 11-06-2008 07:54 PM

Hang on...I've obviously missed something very, very crucial....why have you no kitchen and why are you Currently Homeless?

Big Sarge 11-06-2008 08:23 PM

I'll shoot you a PM

DanaC 11-06-2008 08:59 PM

Ta:)

Cicero 11-06-2008 09:56 PM

I noticed his photos were coming out of a random Hotel Room. It's all so confusing....I thought he was just on business.

Big Sarge 11-06-2008 10:24 PM

Ok, here it is. I'm a soldier recovering at a Military Medical Center. I'm living in outpatient quarters, hence no kitchen or dining facility. I have a bed, a chair, and a desk.

I'm homeless because my wife divorced me while I was on my first deployment to Iraq. She couldn't handle the situation. Thus, I have no home to return to when I leave here.

Hopefully, the Army will get things fixed and I'll be able to volunteer for another deployment. I won't have to find a place to live, etc for another year. That will make 4 deployments in 5 years

DanaC 11-07-2008 05:35 AM

Are you likely to be well enough for a new deployment sarge?

regular.joe 11-07-2008 06:10 AM

Sarge, I was going to post about the very tasty MRE (meal ready to eat) that I"m about to enjoy. But wow, shoot me pm with your alt email addy, I can't get on my AKO mail right now.

Big Sarge 11-07-2008 08:00 AM

I guess I need to explain further. The Army is very good to me and is really giving me some great care. I am a Senior NCO and I make a very good living. On top of that, I draw separate rations pay to cover my meals. The Army provides me with a nice clean place to live. Please don't think I'm destitute.

I have Lupus which has affected my face and arms in addition to other things. I have become very sensitive about my appearance, so I don't go to restaurants to eat. I buy food on post where I feel more accepted.

The Army is doing there very best to stabilize my medical problems in order to retain me. If I am able to deploy again, it will delay me having to return to the civilian world till 2010 where I will have to get a job and find a place to live.

I'm sorry I turned this thread into such a bummer. I didn't mean to. Let's get back on track talking about some good food. BTW, don't ever try that nacho recipe I described earlier. "It weren't a pretty sight" about 2 hours later:p

Shawnee123 11-07-2008 08:28 AM

Sarge, thank you for your service and your honesty. You're a good man.