The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Confessions (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23411)

Sheldonrs 08-25-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 678574)
I had a helluva dream last night. I dreamt I had the world's tightest hat stuck on my head...

Only fair. I had the worlds biggest dick in my ass. ;)

Gravdigr 08-26-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs (Post 678595)
Only fair. I had the worlds biggest dick in my ass. ;)

That is the only time in recorded history the phrase "biggest dick" has been used in reference to The Gravdigr...(on second thought, maybe not...):blush:

Thank you.

ZenGum 08-26-2010 10:14 PM

Blue, I don't like drink driving, but this time I'm calling you a lazy bugger for taking the car on a 1/4 mile round trip. You could have walked - well, staggered - that far.

xoxoxoBruce 08-27-2010 12:46 AM

.08 is stupid.

Pico and ME 08-27-2010 06:52 AM

Not to the lives it has saved, it isn't. Year after year the percentage of fatalities due to drunk driving have steadily decreased.

xoxoxoBruce 08-27-2010 08:01 AM

Bullshit, .08 hasn't saved any more lives than .1 would have. All it's done is ruined peoples lives and raised money.

blue 08-27-2010 08:19 AM

agreed, it does nothing to keep the really bad repeat offenders off the road, and although you can't measure stupid, it's way aboove .08
yes I could have walked, I should have, hooch is heavy tho

Pico and ME 08-27-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 678830)
Bullshit, .08 hasn't saved any more lives than .1 would have...

Yes, it has. Since it came about in '02, the reduction in deaths has increased at a greater ratio than the years prior.

Undertoad 08-27-2010 08:28 AM

What they need is a heavyweight license. A friend of mine got booked at .10, but he's a serious alcoholic and a part-time bartender at Philly's Rum Bar. .10 is probably his walking around level. He should have a license for .13 or something.

xoxoxoBruce 08-27-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 678837)
Yes, it has. Since it came about in '02, the reduction in deaths has increased at a greater ratio than the years prior.

No, it wasn't until 2005 that all states had .08. You're attributing the reduction of deaths which happened for many reasons, to the reduction in BAC. Also the way they now gather statistics, if a sober driver hits a drunk on a bicycle, it's an alcohol related death.

Driving drunk is bad, no question about it, but the drunks on the road are well over .1 BAC. The social drinker who is not impaired, is not a menace, is being harassed and financially raped, by this .08 bullshit. This is not an attack on drunk drivers, it's a thinly disguised attack on drinking at all.

Undertoad 08-27-2010 09:32 AM

My friend said he basically had a choice between paying 3 grand for a lawyer or going to jail for a weekend. He was poor so he chose B.

Lamplighter 08-27-2010 09:43 AM

Aren't the DUII laws are based on greater than 0.08
and/or field sobiety tests by a LEO ?

link

The effects of alcohol intoxication are greatly influenced by individual variations among users. Some users may become intoxicated at a much lower Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) level than is shown.

0.02-0.03 BAC: No loss of coordination, slight euphoria and loss of shyness. Depressant effects are not apparent. Mildly relaxed and maybe a little lightheaded.

0.04-0.06 BAC: Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of reasoning and memory, lowering of caution. Your behavior may become exaggerated and emotions intensified (Good emotions are better, bad emotions are worse)

0.07-0.09 BAC: Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Judgment and self-control are reduced, and caution, reason and memory are impaired, .08 is legally impaired and it is illegal to drive at this level. You will probably believe that you are functioning better than you really are.

0.10-0.125 BAC: Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgment. Speech may be slurred; balance, vision, reaction time and hearing will be impaired. Euphoria.

P.S., The author in this link makes a (dumb) common mistake when setting ranges.
0.02-0.03
.................<--------- what happened to 0.031 to 0.040 ?
0.04-0.06

Pico and ME 08-27-2010 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 678860)
No, it wasn't until 2005 that all states had .08. You're attributing the reduction of deaths which happened for many reasons, to the reduction in BAC. Also the way they now gather statistics, if a sober driver hits a drunk on a bicycle, it's an alcohol related death.

Driving drunk is bad, no question about it, but the drunks on the road are well over .1 BAC. The social drinker who is not impaired, is not a menace, is being harassed and financially raped, by this .08 bullshit. This is not an attack on drunk drivers, it's a thinly disguised attack on drinking at all.

The rates have still gone done even when accounting for the date and impaired driver. I cant for the life of me find the link I got the chart from, but this site posts similar statistics)

Its true that serial DUI offenders have much higher bacs and are responsible for nearly 50% of the fatalities, however, my husband and I are both much less inclined to drink if we are going to drive because of this limit, and I'm sure we are not alone in that regard. Its had an impact.

Clodfobble 08-27-2010 03:51 PM

For me it's not about the death/crash statistics--I've seen video of a dozen people who believed they would be fine at .08, took a driving test on a closed course, drank until they blew exactly .08, and then took the test again. They were all impaired to some degree (despite being familiar with the course the second go-round,) and most to the degree that they accidentally "hit" something on the course.

Some people may be fine at .08. But many definitely are not. Unless we work out a program involving UT's heavyweight/lightweight boozer license designation, the state has to go with the safest common denominator.

BigV 08-27-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 678869)
snip--
P.S., The author in this link makes a (dumb) common mistake when setting ranges.
0.02-0.03
.................<--------- what happened to 0.031 to 0.040 ?
0.04-0.06

Easy question (and you already know the answer). This is simple rounding. The precision of the values in his ranges is set to the nearest one-hundredth. Which means that your question about what happens to the values from 0.031 to 0.040 is that they're rounded to the nearest hundredth and categorized accordingly. Values in the range 0.031 -- 0.034 are declared to be 0.03. Values in the range 0.035 -- 0.040 are declared to be 0.040. Obviously you could repeat this same question with the range "what happened to 0.0340 to 0.0350" ad nauseam. I'd rather have a Pepto instead.