The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   June 7, 2009: Vogue Vinyl Records (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20422)

Mayor of Shekou 06-07-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 571489)
I racked (wracked?) my brain trying to remember what that thing was called. I gave up when my head started hurting.

Of Course your brain hurt! Anything hurts when you put it on the rack!

I was thinking the S&M crowd would LOVE those heart-shaped handcuffs - with the little points to dig in nicely...I do want to buy a pair!

Shawnee123 06-07-2009 08:50 PM

I did some googling trying to come up with the record/movie player but had no luck. However, I've found some vintage toy sites (I love old toys) and have gone on a journey that only the internet can provide! :)

SteveDallas 06-07-2009 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried too some time ago when something reminded me of this, but couldn't find it. This time, for some reason, the name floated up out of the flotsam and jetsam of my brain. Of course, knowing the name made it much easier to find!! Behold, the Show 'n' Tell. (After I remembered the name, it took still longer to find a photo. There apparently aren't many, and the nature of the words make it hard to narrow the search. The attachment is actually the cover of one of the record/filmstrip sets, but it shows the player and a filmstrip.)

Based on the Wikipedia article, my older brother had the GE version. It was still around and functional by the time I came along (seven years later), but none of the films were in good shape. I was vaguely conscious of 78's as an "older" record that wasn't made any more in favor of 33's and 45's, but I had a couple WTF moments at the 16RPM setting. One Christmas my sister & I received the updated version mentioned in the article. It was hot stuff for the time!

ZenGum 06-07-2009 11:39 PM

Great work, Steve!

Now, the gender politics of THAT picture ... I ain't going there!

xoxoxoBruce 06-08-2009 12:15 AM

Any "gender politics" in that, or the original post pictures, is in your dirty mind.

ZenGum 06-08-2009 12:19 AM

Yeah ... wanna share? :p

capnhowdy 06-08-2009 06:24 AM

That's it! Thanks, Steve. When I googled "show and tell" all I got was a bunch of lyrics for the song. (Which was killer). Guess I should have kept digging.

chrisinhouston 06-08-2009 08:18 AM

My mom had one, I think the song was titled "I Guess I'll Get the Papers and Go Home" and was about some lonsome lovesick guy who lost his girl.

There is a website for collectors: http://www.voguepicturerecords.org/

SteveDallas 06-08-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 571593)
Now, the gender politics of THAT picture ... I ain't going there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 571606)
Any "gender politics" in that, or the original post pictures, is in your dirty mind.

I'll leave the phallic-osity of Pinocchio's nose to others.... But, note that while a scene from Pinocchio is shown on the screen, we also see Gulliver's Travels and The Prince and the Pauper--which is already open and ready to go; the girl even has the filmstrip all ready to load (putting a nice thumbprint on the film in the process).

[Not so] subtle message to parents? "Don't worry, we have lots and lots of classic literature available. No, really, the kids will LEARN from it."

ETA: Catalog of some titles available

chrisinhouston 06-08-2009 08:28 AM

If you go to the website I mentioned and click on discography you get all of the titles and who performed the songs. Some of the groups names are pretty amusing. In those days anyone with a band called it an orchestra!

Here are a few good ones:

The King's Jesters and Louise
The Don Large Chorus
Shep Fields and His Orchestra
Lulu Belle and Scotty
Patsy Montana
The Hour of Charm All-Girl Orchestra
The Down Homers
Dick La Salle and His Society Orchestra
WOWO Hoosier Hop Gang

Sundae 06-09-2009 11:36 AM

I love the literal interpretation of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea!
I'd love to have seen the album cover for something like Georgia on my Mind.

Gravdigr 06-09-2009 09:19 PM

Show & Tell

I quite possibly have killed the brain cells associated with the Show&Tell, as those words don't ring a bell.
That said, it almost has to be the same item, doesn't it?

I distinctly remember black & white pictures, though, perhaps the little strips we had were of the cheapie variety.

Great work finding this! :thumb:

SteveDallas 06-09-2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 572258)
I quite possibly have killed the brain cells associated with the Show&Tell, as those words don't ring a bell.
That said, it almost has to be the same item, doesn't it?

I distinctly remember black & white pictures, though, perhaps the little strips we had were of the cheapie variety.

You don't remember the name... and you don't remember color images (whereas I don't remember any B&W ones). I wouldn't discount the possibility that you're thinking of some other item.

ZenGum 06-10-2009 01:38 AM

Nah, its just that everything in the olden days was black and white. I saw it on TV.

wolf 06-10-2009 10:31 AM

And here I thought that picture-discs were a fresh and new thing in the 70s and 80s.

I know I have at least one, it's the story of Star Wars, narrated by Anthony Daniels. I have a vague thought that there's another one in the pile of vinyl, but I can't remember what it might be.