The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Paris attacks (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31398)

sexobon 11-14-2015 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 945403)
... Please stop being an asshole and blaming the victim. If you cannot experience any empathy for France, then maybe for those of us here who do.

No one has blamed the victim: however, the French own responsibility for failures in their great experiment. They accept that and take it in stride as part of their way of living. Funny that you can't while I can being that there's less culture shock between Britain and France than Britain and the United States.

Don't even flap your crap trap about empathy for France. Masses are being killed around the world all the time and they're not making it to be empathized or eulogized in threads here. This is about you, your remote connection to events, and your overreaction. The French are used to situations like this and can talk about it frankly while many Brits can't. That's where one similarity ends. Can't blame them for being language snobs with such a disparity just across the Channel.

Your request is not favorably considered.

infinite monkey 11-14-2015 10:22 AM

I think many of us feel a great deal of empathy for France right now.

What I don't feel is Geraldo type pain (faux news on in the break room last nigbt) nor do I want to act like it's in my backyard just as I wouldn't feign such if it happened in, say, Pennsylvania or something. Yes, I get it, but please don't tell me all of a sudden it is your next door neighbor.

My empathy is for them.

What I said.

Much love and warm thoughts to the victims. :(

Eta: I took two years of french in hs and two quarters in college. We're not all philistines over here.

classicman 11-14-2015 11:00 AM

I was wondering silently how someone professed to know the victims agreed with the immigration plans of their country.

xoxoxoBruce 11-14-2015 09:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Net chatter.

infinite monkey 11-14-2015 09:03 PM

aww...whut?

Aliantha 11-14-2015 11:23 PM

I think the world should just let Putin take care of Isis. He's bloodthirsty enough, and everyone will be able to have a clear conscience because it's just the bad guys killing the even badder guys.

xoxoxoBruce 11-14-2015 11:52 PM

Uh, Putin is on their side. :eyebrow:

Aliantha 11-15-2015 12:05 AM

I guess that depends which media you listen to.

Sundae 11-15-2015 06:01 AM

I don't think you can help how you feel.
I roll my eyes at people who sob when bands break up, who leave shabby garage forecourt flowers on lamp-posts when schoolfriends die (but don't take them away when they rot), who leave toys and cards about angels when little children are killed - which would be better donated to families who are in poverty.

I think they are maudlin and possibly have a low IQ.

But I think that feeling shock and outrage at mass murder in a place you have personally been, and sadness that humanity is not as humane as we like to picture it, is reasonable.

This is not directed at you, Infi, or Sexobon, or anyone else.
And I'm not weeping and wailing all over social media.
The French will roll with this. Their problems with religion/ tolerance/ racism have existed for years. Echoes of a colonial past (ditto UK)

Just hope when the next attack comes it isn't us again.
100% selfish. 100% how I feel.

infinite monkey 11-15-2015 11:27 AM

You're right. I wasn't thinking when I wrote that.

I think it's my bad response to all the bad things that happen. I am not dealing well with life.

Sorry. :(

tw 11-15-2015 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 945517)
Uh, Putin is on their side.

When dice have so many sides, it is called a sphere. Which side of that sphere on you on?

tw 11-15-2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 945451)
I was wondering silently how someone professed to know the victims agreed with the immigration plans of their country.

I was silently wondering how immigration has anything to do with extremism. Since immigration creates stronger and more prosperous nations. And extremism does not.

Clodfobble 11-15-2015 07:31 PM

Brief NSFW language. Also, yes I know I'm a sociopath please don't be mad at me it's just how I feel.

sexobon 11-15-2015 08:59 PM

If we ever get reincarnated at about the same time I'm going to look you up.

Clodfobble 11-15-2015 10:46 PM

At Mr. Clod's company, there was a COMPANY-WIDE email thread of people tagging on their thoughts and prayers and replying-all every time.

And then a guy replied in French. And then more did, to prove they knew some high school French too. And even now, this email chain is still going on in his and everyone else's inbox, in a language 99% of them can't understand.